Do you believe in the 'Evil Eye'?

For Psychic discussions and general questions.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123

Elisechaina

Do you believe in the 'Evil Eye'?

Post by Elisechaina » Sun Aug 12, 2007 9:52 pm

Hi
Just wanted to ask people's opinions of what they thought about the 'Evil Eye'. I know different cultures around the world have their own thoughts about this, but would be interested in your views, and if there are any methods of protection.
Thanks x

spiritalk

Post by spiritalk » Mon Aug 13, 2007 2:46 pm

This comes under the heading of spells.  And I don't believe they work...not directly.  

What happens is...someone wishes a bad thing (evil eye) for someone - to be effective, the receiver must not only know about it, they must believe it works.  You see in the energy knowledge, we know that we all have our own power...how we use it and/or abuse it, is a measure of the individual.

flight _of_angelwings

Post by flight _of_angelwings » Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:55 pm

Hmmm would that be the same evil eye my mother in law gives me since marrying her only son????.....haha...no I guess thats a different evil eye...lol

sidewalk_bends

Post by sidewalk_bends » Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:08 pm

flight _of_angelwings wrote:Hmmm would that be the same evil eye my mother in law gives me since marrying her only son????.....haha...no I guess thats a different evil eye...lol
Ya that's the one flight! lmao

Angelique

Post by Angelique » Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:49 pm

I feel if you believe in it, you give it power... same goes for voodoo, hoodoo, witchcraft, and anything else.

My husbands grandmother was raised to believe in the Mallocchio and her grandmother had passed down to her how to do the water and oil, the prayers and invocations, tea leaves for symbols. She believed that if you had a headache, or illness, it may be because either someone was thinking bad things about you and talking about you (no one had to look at you cock-eyed necessarily). She also believed if they were talking good things about you and thinking good things it could cause symptoms to the person. She felt it worked both ways... it was her ability to remove it. Once gram did her removal of the Mallocchio, she would get very sick (stomach sick) she was releasing it... if she didn't get sick, she would continue the ritual until she did walking around sometimes for days with her rosary beads and quietly in prayer. It was her way of knowing the curse or whatever you want to call it had been lifted from the afflicted person.

In gram's family the healer chose only one person to pass the gift down to which had to be taught promptly at midnight on any Christmas Eve. The prayers and ritual were said in Italian and old Latin. She chose me and had wanted to pass it on to me, but the mother in-law had a fit over it because no one else was chosen and I was never taught because Gram knew she would never hear the end of it. Gram didn't see fit that anyone else learn it and all that gram knew went with her to her grave.

sidewalk_bends

Post by sidewalk_bends » Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:54 pm

Angelique wrote:I feel if you believe in it, you give it power... same goes for voodoo, hoodoo, witchcraft, and anything else.

My husbands grandmother was raised to believe in the Mallocchio and her grandmother had passed down to her how to do the water and oil, the prayers and invocations, tea leaves for symbols. She believed that if you had a headache, or illness, it may be because either someone was thinking bad things about you and talking about you (no one had to look at you cock-eyed necessarily). She also believed if they were talking good things about you and thinking good things it could cause symptoms to the person. She felt it worked both ways... it was her ability to remove it. Once gram did her removal of the Mallocchio, she would get very sick (stomach sick) she was releasing it... if she didn't get sick, she would continue the ritual until she did walking around sometimes for days with her rosary beads and quietly in prayer. It was her way of knowing the curse or whatever you want to call it had been lifted from the afflicted person.

In gram's family the healer chose only one person to pass the gift down to which had to be taught promptly at midnight on any Christmas Eve. The prayers and ritual were said in Italian and old Latin. She chose me and had wanted to pass it on to me, but the mother in-law had a fit over it because no one else was chosen and I was never taught because Gram knew she would never hear the end of it. Gram didn't see fit that anyone else learn it and all that gram knew went with her to her grave.
All is lost for a reason? Not all is lost, only those things that we don't want to find or need to find.

Angelique

Post by Angelique » Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:21 pm

sidewalk_bends wrote:
All is lost for a reason? Not all is lost, only those things that we don't want to find or need to find.
What is it you are trying to say, sidewalk_bends? I feel like you are talking in circles on this one...

sidewalk_bends

Post by sidewalk_bends » Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:26 pm

Don't mind me. I'm confused.

Angelique

Post by Angelique » Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:44 pm

sidewalk_bends wrote:Don't mind me. I'm confused.
And now you are confusing me!  :smt017  You should be ashamed of yourself!!!  :smt002

sidewalk_bends

Post by sidewalk_bends » Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:46 pm

ok ok ok. I'm not confused.

sidewalk_bends

Post by sidewalk_bends » Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:49 pm

Angelique wrote:
sidewalk_bends wrote:
What is it you are trying to say, sidewalk_bends? I feel like you are talking in circles on this one...
All is lost for a reason, meaning some things you are not meant to know.

Not all is lost, meaning you can search out that which you seek, but it doesn't mean it is good for you.

Things that are lost or that remain unknown to us are unknown to us by our choice sometimes. You can choose to seek out what your grandmother knew, or you can make your own path. As I said in the beginning though, not all things are meant to be known by you. Not all things are good for you. Not all things will give you peace. She had her way of understanding and knowing as you have your way. Her way is not and was not necessarily the way, but is one way.

Angelique

Post by Angelique » Tue Aug 14, 2007 12:37 am

sidewalk_bends wrote: All is lost for a reason, meaning some things you are not meant to know.

Not all is lost, meaning you can search out that which you seek, but it doesn't mean it is good for you.

Things that are lost or that remain unknown to us are unknown to us by our choice sometimes. You can choose to seek out what your grandmother knew, or you can make your own path. As I said in the beginning though, not all things are meant to be known by you. Not all things are good for you. Not all things will give you peace. She had her way of understanding and knowing as you have your way. Her way is not and was not necessarily the way, but is one way.
Obviously, I don't care that she didn't teach me... and I know I could easily learn it if it was in my heart to, so there is no loss. I was sharing an opinion and experience on the subject matter because who knows if the hungarians, the spaniards, the greek, etc... follow the same procedure or not? We'll find out as more people add to the thread.

sidewalk_bends

Post by sidewalk_bends » Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:31 am

Angelique wrote:
sidewalk_bends wrote: All is lost for a reason, meaning some things you are not meant to know.

Obviously, I don't care that she didn't teach me... and I know I could easily learn it if it was in my heart to, so there is no loss. I was sharing an opinion and experience on the subject matter because who knows if the hungarians, the spaniards, the greek, etc... follow the same procedure or not? We'll find out as more people add to the thread.
My bad. I didn't know that you didn't care she didn't teach you. Think I'm back off to my corner now.

:smt017

MuchachaMagica

Post by MuchachaMagica » Mon Aug 20, 2007 5:37 am

In my family, the story is that my grandfather (on my father's side) could give the 'evil eye' to young children. Without any evil intention, just by playing or laughing with them (giving a lot of attention). So, after playing with his grandchildren, he used to give them a light slap on their backside to prevent this.
I never met him as he passed before I was born. But my mother says that she never believed in the evil eye, until one day my older sister (who was a baby then) got really sick. Then someone came and did whatever it is they do with herbs and an egg, and my sister got better right after that. And when they finish, they break the egg, and apparently you can see something in the white... I don't know what, but my mother said it was kind of scary.

Elisechaina

Post by Elisechaina » Thu Aug 23, 2007 7:11 pm

Hi, interesting story about your grandfather, like you I have been brought up knowing about the evil eye since childhood,  and I have heard about the egg ritual. I was also told to spit on your wrists if someone gives you  or a member of your family a compliment, because they can unknowingly give them the evil eye otherwise. Its fascinating and exists in many cultures all over the world.

Return to “Psychic”