Are you an empath?

For Psychic discussions and general questions.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123

Are you an empath?

Yes.
70%
No.
4%
I don't know.
26%

Total votes: 54

drina

Post by drina » Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:04 am

Hello all! I'm new here. i have to say that this thread has been very helpful right off the bat. I believe I'm something of an empath, but I always doubt things when it's directly related to me. I'm highly sensitive to other's feelings and moods, and I often return home just feeling drained after being around certain people. I've never done any real shielding, but I was told once to carry salt in my pocket and take salt water baths to absorb and clear energies I've picked up. It does help somewhat, but then I go back out and pick stuff up all over again.
Though, I was once told that crossing wrists, arms, legs, can help when in the presence of a "spiritual vampire". I had a friend like this, and he was completely unaware he was doing anything, but I would always leave his presence feeling drained and depressed. I tried it once when I was with him, and I did feel less drained afterwards, but I feel like some shielding would make a huge difference.
Thank you to everyone. It was wonderful to read other's experiences and input!

SnowBaby

Post by SnowBaby » Tue Feb 12, 2008 3:32 am

I am highly empathic, at times, painfully so. However, I would not trade it for anything. It's part of who I am and the thought of turning it on and off bothers me for some reason. This applies to all my abilities. I have only had one problem with AP that is one thing I could not handle and wanted it to stop 100%.

It's a wonderful gift but the reality is it can also be exausting, painful, and overwhelming at times. I look at it as take the good with the bad, sometimes that's just part of the package. Would I give back the ability to not experience the pain? Never. It's a gift and I would be very uncomfortable toggling with it by turning it on and off. Besides risking losing it forever, it would feel VERY unnatural for it to ever be off.

As always, everything differs for every person and what works for one, does not necessarily work for the next person. My suggestion would be to embrace it with open arms and experience the good and the bad, in time you will learn from both and grow from both. It is truly a gift.

Best wishes. :-)
Thanks!! SnowBaby :-)

WhoseLineBabygirl

Post by WhoseLineBabygirl » Tue Feb 12, 2008 4:50 am

I am highly empathic, at times, painfully so. However, I would not trade it for anything. It's part of who I am and the thought of turning it on and off bothers me for some reason. This applies to all my abilities. I have only had one problem with AP that is one thing I could not handle and wanted it to stop 100%.
i'm the same way, its a pain in the butt at times but if i turned it off and didnt have it anymore i think i would feel really empty because its a part of me and has been since i was born!

pinkspikes

Post by pinkspikes » Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:54 pm

I've always been told I am a bit empathic. I tend to feed off of energy in a room without really realizing it. If I am at a party where people are energetic and excited even if I am tired or sad my mood and energy level does a dramatic shift. The same is true if I go into a hospital with a sad or worn out atmosphere even as fully awake and happy my mood will do a sudden shift.

Sometimes I will be able to tell what someone is feeling about a situation without having to see their face using only the vibe they are giving off as a clue. The body language and face usually confirm it.

I really find that I have little trouble reading vibes on people or in situations. My problem is, is that hindsight is 20/20 and I often doubt my foresight at first (especially when it has something to do with me).

spiritalk

Post by spiritalk » Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:47 pm

Empathy is a big part of more available in psychic sensitivities.  Taking charge and developing all these talents will help you flow with the energies and not get caught up into what is not yours to experience.  Flow is the key.
God bless, J

Mystikal Miss

also an Empath...

Post by Mystikal Miss » Fri Mar 28, 2008 5:05 am

WOW I wish I knew about this place when my ability came into effect. You all have really great advice. Having not just my emotions but all those around me to at first was so unbearable I just stayed home because it made me physically ill.
But with the help and support of my really great best friend, I was able to over come it, learn to build walls, and even mirror others' emotions back to them. My point is it helps so much if you have at least one person to help you through it. And to all new Empaths, you would not have been given this if the gods didn't think you could handle it. Don't worry you can and will survive with your sanity, Empaths are some of he strongest people I've meet  :smt002
Hope this helps at least one person.   :)  :)
"Don't cry because it's over, Be happy that it happened."

caithiggs

Post by caithiggs » Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:06 am

Hey, I know I'm picking up a really old thread (I don't know what the forum's policy is on this ... and never understand how this could be a problem, but feel free to kick me or whatever if it is), but I was looking for this topic and this seemed better than starting a new one (??).

I feel like empathy really rings true to me in my life though, and explains so many things (not that I like to explain everything away in simple terms). I tend to feel like a mirror to most of the people in my life. I can be the person that everyone feels most themselves with and they feel as if they are "by their self" when they are around me. Why do I get irritable instantly when other people are irritable and my mood was perfectly fine/there is nothing at all on my mind that should make me so in my personal life (maybe that's natural, but it hits me). I have been advised that it's important for me to read the energy of others in my life, and I know I do, and it's very important to me personally as well.

Anyway, I grew up with bad social anxiety and depression and it makes sense as to why. I don't feel it's as big a problem for me as a lot of my readings on empathic abilities seems to suggest for many people. I tend to block people out right away when I meet them, namely if anybody is trying to read me, I instantly and automatically set up a wall. Either through body language or something more subtle.

I have to say I think one excellent way of coping with letting too much of others' energy in is actually becoming more and more widely exposed by people. It's why I love dealing with the public (besides the fact that people, and nearly nothing else on earth energizes me) But over my life thus far it has totally solidified me more as my own self because the more people I deal with more frequently the less any one individual can really affect me. I wonder if this makes sense to anybody else?

I recently discovered HOW MUCH people's negative energy can affect me, and HOW MUCH people's positive open energy can affect me. I just had to share that even though it's got such a bad wrap, reading other people's energy, is there anything more powerful and eye opening than when you are in the presence of someone totally open and positive whose energy compliments your own? I think we should not get so caught up in the negative energies. IT's important to attract positive into our lives so that we can take something away from that energy instead of feeling negative all the time (because let's face it, it's easier to run into negative than positive energy on a day to day basis).

I think we all (all human beings) feed off of one another's energies. Some of us have less presence and absorb/read more than we contribute outward (myself for example). Some of us have developed to totally block it out and some of us are just way too sensitive to it. But I think it's important to be aware of it for those of us that are. It's amazing that we are all so connected though. I don't see how it is a bad thing--more like something hard to find information or support on.

At this point I don't know what my point was, i just felt the need to share this! I just hope for more people to run into these positive experiences to keep us optimistic about something that can be such a drag! It feels coded into us so we can't really run from it, only try to understand it more.

spiritalk

Post by spiritalk » Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:16 pm

As a sensitive to all the energies, it is extremely important you learn about Grounding, Shielding, Protection.  Some of these energies can be your own to deal with, but the majority is others who you can dismiss from your sensitivities.  Oh that does not mean you don't care, it just means you are more effective being dispassionate to help others find their own way.
God bless, J

peterdoswell

Empathy Is Essential

Post by peterdoswell » Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:42 am

Hi Chrissy :) Blessings to you . To know and feel anothers emotions and what they are going through is essential I feel in any type of psychic reading work . It shows the person you are trying to help that you really can relate to their situation and understand what they are saying to you . Empathy is a quality in itself . A quality that grows with experience of working with psychic ability and general experiences in and around your own life . This is why I feel so many psychics can feel drained because they do not know when to switch the empathic connection off . Love & Light . Peter

Cascade of Light

Post by Cascade of Light » Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:16 pm

spiritalk wrote:As a sensitive to all the energies, it is extremely important you learn about Grounding, Shielding, Protection.  Some of these energies can be your own to deal with, but the majority is others who you can dismiss from your sensitivities.  Oh that does not mean you don't care, it just means you are more effective being dispassionate to help others find their own way.
Great post!

Grounding and protection are very important to an empath, as is shielding and blocking too.  I was told it's like tasting the air, you taste the emotions but then do not eat, you just allow them to flow over you rather than become you.
A cascade of light shone down on me, then the angels spoke, and set me free,
Cas x

CrystalSpirit

Yes,i am an empath also

Post by CrystalSpirit » Sun Jan 01, 2012 4:02 am

I am an empath,feel blessed to have this amazing gift and each day this gift is enhanced due to my nursing career. I must say though,it really took its toll on me when i didnt know how to 'control' the feelings. I am a cancerian,sensitive and all for helping those who suffer but this was different so very different and what i felt at times hurt. Now,i allow what i feel to flow as i deal with many people everyday who are hurting. xx

Return to “Psychic”