What is Normal?

For Psychic discussions and general questions.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123

fisk_82

Post by fisk_82 » Sat Dec 19, 2009 9:35 pm

johnswifey86 wrote:Ya but what is normal? Whats normal to one preson may not be normal to another. It's all about beliefs.
absolutely agree with you  :smt003

sunmystic

Post by sunmystic » Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:48 pm

How about this Happyme :) I am the only one on this message board that is not "normal". Everyone on this message board but me :) is some version of normal. The reason that I hang out on this message board is to learn from you guys how normal is done :) .

love you!

sunmystic

Rhutobello

Post by Rhutobello » Sun Dec 20, 2009 8:42 pm

What is Normal?

It is an average of an collection, done by doing Statistics.

I have heard a Great saying:

You have 3 lies.

You have the common lie.
You have the clever lie.
And you have Statistics, which can be the greatest lie of them all Image

Without our differences, there would be no excitement, there would be no color, we would only be a gray mass with equal opinions and equal behavior. Image

Long live our Differences  Image

sunmystic

Post by sunmystic » Mon Dec 21, 2009 7:04 pm

Rhutobello wrote:What is Normal?

It is an average of an collection, done by doing Statistics.

I have heard a Great saying:

You have 3 lies.

You have the common lie.
You have the clever lie.
And you have Statistics, which can be the greatest lie of them all Image

Without our differences, there would be no excitement, there would be no color, we would only be a gray mass with equal opinions and equal behavior. Image

Long live our Differences  Image
I remember statistics in college :) it was one of the coolest classes I ever took. You can do anything with statistics and you can make them do and say anything :) .

Cool post Rhuto!

love,

sunmystic

happyme

Post by happyme » Tue Dec 22, 2009 2:26 am

Wow I just love how this has developed guys! In fact I think the post's new name should actually be, "What Is Normal?". I will make the adjustment now.  :smt003

sunmystic

Post by sunmystic » Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:13 pm

happyme wrote:Wow I just love how this has developed guys! In fact I think the post's new name should actually be, "What Is Normal?". I will make the adjustment now.  :smt003
Normal is what ever it is that I am not :) Heaven forbid that I should ever be called normal :) ! It would really twart my creativity.

love,

sunmystic

spiritalk

Post by spiritalk » Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:47 pm

I can only say what a dull world it would be if we were all the same!
God bless, J

sunmystic

Post by sunmystic » Wed Dec 23, 2009 1:32 am

spiritalk wrote:I can only say what a dull world it would be if we were all the same!
So Spirit Talk, if we are not as you think we should be, then how are we all going to get to your spirit world? And some folks feel that actually getting beyond your spirit world is a valid goal. A non "dull world" leaves room for varity :) . Input?

sunmystic

Rook

Post by Rook » Wed Dec 23, 2009 2:55 am

I was thinking about this thread while driving home from work.

Basically we have established that since what is normal is statistically driven.  It takes a group of people to define what is normal, so how can any one person possibly be normal?

And if one person can't be normal, than does normal really exist or is it an illusion of society to describe aspects that are common to that society?  Does anyone actually fit that mould or does each and every person have aspects outside that norm?

AyeCantSeeYou

Post by AyeCantSeeYou » Wed Dec 23, 2009 3:12 am

In the world of statistics, anything is possible. The curve can be thrown to show everyone is normal, noone is normal, half of those polled are normal, etc. It all depends on what the person is wanting the outcome to be. (Not to mention how much $$$$ is being used as the incentive for the one running the stats.)

Rook

Post by Rook » Wed Dec 23, 2009 3:31 am

I am very familiar with the potential to decieve with statistics, I studied this at University and was taught how to lie using maps (its my profession), but this was more about learning how to draw a readers attention to the purpose of the map to relay information quicker (basically you don't use subtle colours for the primary features of the map, its all very logical).

I don't think statistics itself lies, but rather the nature of the way the stats are collected can be dodgy.  Most people read the conclusion and not the method because it is too complicated.  But that pretty much is exactly what you are saying.  To quote the great philosopher Homer;

"Statistics can be used to prove anything.  Forfty percent of all people know that."

happyme

Post by happyme » Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:58 am

spiritalk wrote:I can only say what a dull world it would be if we were all the same!
Soooo true!

happyme

Post by happyme » Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:07 am

Rook wrote:I was thinking about this thread while driving home from work.

Basically we have established that since what is normal is statistically driven.  It takes a group of people to define what is normal, so how can any one person possibly be normal?

And if one person can't be normal, than does normal really exist or is it an illusion of society to describe aspects that are common to that society?  Does anyone actually fit that mould or does each and every person have aspects outside that norm?
Very strong reasoning, and also, if normal doesn't exist, then not being normal, does essentially becomes normal. jk  :smt003

happyme

Post by happyme » Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:08 am

sunmystic wrote:
happyme wrote:Wow I just love how this has developed guys! In fact I think the post's new name should actually be, "What Is Normal?". I will make the adjustment now.  :smt003
Normal is what ever it is that I am not :) Heaven forbid that I should ever be called normal :) ! It would really twart my creativity.

love,

sunmystic
I know normal is so dull and boring. jk again  :smt003  :smt006

Marinewildlife

Post by Marinewildlife » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:08 am

Being tacit is normal. Inutterable and sleep.

Return to “Psychic”