What is Reiki?

Know more about this Japanese form of energy healing.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123

swetha
Site Admin

What is Reiki?

Post by swetha » Mon Jun 27, 2005 5:32 am

Reiki ( TOUCH-N-HEAL THERAPY)

What is Reiki?

• Rei and ki are Japanese words. Rei meaning universal/spiritual wisdom and Ki meaning life force, something akin to bioplasma i.e. prana in sanskrit and Chi in Chinese. It is the re-discovery of an ancient Tibetan/Buddhist System of Healing perfected by Dr Mikao Usui, a Japanese Buddhist in the late 19 th Century. Reiki is present in every living thing and can be effectively used for our own betterment in the physical, emotional, mental and spiritual planes. It is like using energy from the universe for our healing.

How does it help?

• Regularly doing Reiki reduces stress, tension, anxiety, blood pressure, etc. It get rids of insomnia, depression, acidity, asthma and many other such illnesses by breaking up emotional and mental blockages. It detoxifies and cleanses our body physically, mentally and emotionally by releasing accumulated toxins of the body and mind. Illness is the result of imbalance and Reiki makes its way to the area of imbalance during treatment. The immune system is thus revitalized as a result of which one becomes less prone to diseases. Reiki helps in recovery from various diseases and is compatible with traditional/modern system of medication.

How is it learnt?

• To learn Reiki (First, Second Degree Reiki or be a Reiki practioner (Third Degree) or Master of Reiki (Fourth Degree), you require to receive attunements (Shaktipath) from a Reiki Master (Teacher) and thereafter practise for 21 days. Reiki can never be learnt by reading books on Reiki since books only enhance your knowledge and knowledge cannot be a substitute for the direct initiation process.

Who can learn Reiki?

• Any one can learn Reiki. The ability to learn Reiki is not dependent on intellectual capacity. It does not require one to be able to meditate. It does not take years of practice to learn but is simply passed from Teacher to Student and thereafter one has and can do Reiki.

minerva_silverwillow

Thank you for posting information about reiki

Post by minerva_silverwillow » Wed Jun 29, 2005 3:23 pm

Dear Swetha,
I'm a reiki master and I did my first Reiki workshop last weekend. I'd love to see more things posted about this wonderful healing technique. How did you learn about reiki?? Love,

Carolina

Abhishek
Site Admin

Post by Abhishek » Wed Jun 29, 2005 4:00 pm

Hello Carolina,

Its nice to have a reiki master finally join us here. We would be obliged if you could share reiki tips, experiences and techniques with us.

Thanks,

Abhishek

swetha
Site Admin

Post by swetha » Sat Jul 02, 2005 5:00 am

hello Caroline,
great to have u here. in fact i never believed in Reiki. Then my mom started learning it and healing us. once it really made me much better....and that was the day i started believing.

i have a question: i reiki, when u r lying down, y r u asked to sleep with urs hands unclasped or uncrossed legs. when i sleep generally... i feel mor comfortable sleepign with my hands clasped.
shd i avoid it?
wud love to see more regular posts by u on this topic... so that others too start knwoing and using it for themselves.
swetha

tomas

Swetha, about clasping your hands...

Post by tomas » Thu Jul 07, 2005 1:46 pm

That's something I've not been read about or heard of in terms of Reiki and sleeping. I have a question for you about it though. What modality of Reiki tells you that? I know that self-treat and self-Reiju are meant to be done without crossing your legs, and with your hands apart in the various positions, but never about when you're asleep. I've studied almost all modalities and have seen no mention of not crossing you legs or clasping your hands. In fact, I'm in the process of writing a book explaining the similarities and the differences of the over 40 different Reiki modalities and if this is a regular part of a modalities teaching, I've missed something important.

Reiki ni rei
Sensei ni rei
Otagai ni rei

tomas

swetha
Site Admin

Post by swetha » Fri Jul 08, 2005 6:50 pm

i dont mean asleep as in sleeping. i meant lying down. i was just told not to clasp my hands or cross my feet.
swetha

tomas

Post by tomas » Fri Jul 08, 2005 6:57 pm

I've never heard of that, Swetha. Last night I chatted with about 10 or 12 Reiki Master/Teachers after the Circle/Share that we do every week and asked if they were familier with that idea and all said the same thing, never heard of it. I'll keep looking and asking though, the answer might be right in front of me and I just haven't seen it yet.

tomas

Nadejda

Post by Nadejda » Sat Jul 09, 2005 8:12 pm

Hi Swetha ,
I think that all position and rituals doesn/t matter when you work with Reiki- you have to hear only your own intuition and place hand according to it.

Abhishek
Site Admin

Post by Abhishek » Sat Jul 09, 2005 9:39 pm

swetha wrote:i dont mean asleep as in sleeping. i meant lying down. i was just told not to clasp my hands or cross my feet.
swetha
i think it is said it's better not to clasp your hand while sleeping is becuase if you consider it in terms of body language ... it simply means being uptight or defensive or on your guard.

also in terms of body language keeping your hands on your sides and in a relaxed position or open armed means being open and respective and willing to understand and see (if i am not wrong)

*now please remember i am only assuming this and this is my own conclusion - and i maybe wrong*
so according to my theory if you sleep with your hands clasped it would mean that you arent free or relaxed even when thats one of the few hours you need relaxation and to unwind.

now if you apply what i said about the open arms according to my theory sleeping or lying down with your arms open it would not only mean you are relax and at peace.

now my theory states that like in all forms of meditation or practiced forms of relaxation... when you start with the "open arm policy" over a period of time it would be like constant reminder to you to relax and maybe one day it will just become a part of you and you will be turly rlaxed.

my 2 cents.

Abhishek

Raven

Post by Raven » Sun Jul 10, 2005 12:50 am

I think that clasping your hands or crossing your feet basically slows down the circulation, it doesn't leave everything open and free to receive or even properly relax. For example, if you have a cat nap and you lay on your back legs straight and uncrossed, arms and hands the same, you can nap for 20 minutes and feel totally refreshed, however if you do the same but have your legs crossed and you hands and arms, you will feel rested but not as much as the first position.

Abhishek
Site Admin

Post by Abhishek » Sun Jul 10, 2005 6:11 am

Raven wrote:I think that clasping your hands or crossing your feet basically slows down the circulation, it doesn't leave everything open and free to receive or even properly relax. For example, if you have a cat nap and you lay on your back legs straight and uncrossed, arms and hands the same, you can nap for 20 minutes and feel totally refreshed, however if you do the same but have your legs crossed and you hands and arms, you will feel rested but not as much as the first position.
well said... i also wanted to ad this but i didnt. i think both your reason and mine combined is why an open arm policy is best.

Abhishek

diosa

Post by diosa » Sat Jul 23, 2005 2:31 am

swetha,

I was taught that the recipient shouldn't cross legs or arms while receiving Reiki. I was also taught not to cross my hands/arms when giving Reiki.

I am not sure where this practice originates but it has, I believe, something to do with meridians. I haven't found any reference to not doing this anywhere in other people's manuals.

I mention it as having been something I was taught when I teach but don't stress it.

swetha
Site Admin

Post by swetha » Sat Jul 23, 2005 5:07 am

hi diosa,
this is what i meant. atleast i saw my mom healing this way. how do u suggest we start learning reiki?
swetha

diosa

Post by diosa » Sat Jul 23, 2005 3:48 pm

swetha,

The best places to start are at Vinny Amador's archived site and at the aetw site.

I like Vinnys for the manuals and Jame's for his insights and research information.

http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://www.angelreiki.nu

http://www.geocities.com/fascin8or/index.html

Hope this helps,

namaste,
diosa

Return to “Reiki”