Can you define Hell?

Do u believe in rebirth or reincarnation? Do u believe in Past Life Experience? Discuss and Know more about it here

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123

Dj I.C.U.

Can you define Hell?

Post by Dj I.C.U. » Thu Mar 30, 2006 8:55 pm

Here's a try:Hell, according to many religious beliefs, is a place and/or a state of painful suffering. The English word 'hell' comes from the Teutonic 'Hel', which originally meant "to cover." "Hell" later referred to the goddess of the Norse underworld, Hel. Compare Anglo-Saxon helan, Greek kalyptein and Latin celare = "to hide, to cover" (all from IE *kel).

According to many religions, the afterlife affords evildoers the opportunity to suffer eternally or repent their bad deeds before reincarnation or redemption. In monotheistic religions, hell is often ruled by demons who torment the damned. Hell is also defined as an utter absence of God or redemptive force. Many monotheists believe in different layers of hell, and that some sinners are sent to purgatory, or otherwise sent to suffer in hell until they repent and seek atonement. Some believe that all those sent to hell can accept redemption if they repent and seek atonement. However, the belief exists that there will be those who never truly repent in spirit. According to this belief, these souls will reject redemption and curse God for all eternity, despite the ravages of Hell.

In polytheistic religions, the politics of hell can be as complicated as human politics. Many Hellenistic Neopagans believe in Tartarus, which may also be considered a version of Hell.

Sophe

Post by Sophe » Fri Mar 31, 2006 12:14 pm

Well I am not sure how to define hell because how I feel about hell is probably different than everyone else. I think are hell is the time we do on earth (if we so choose to make it our hell). I really haven't read too many books in regards too people describing near death experiences and the images of hell arises when they have one...it is usually a white light ... tunnel and just something of amazing beauty and love.  So it is hard for me to believe at some point we are judged by others and we either go to heaven or hell.  The reason I believe this is because of the universal law of polarity...if you have peace, love and light...you also have hatred and darkness...all those people who are in jail or committed some brutal crime...do you think they have light or love within themselves. At that moment they chose to committ that crime...they have chosen the dark path of guilt, ridicule, darkness and emptiness and to me that is hell, not to be able to experience those emotions of love and light.

Sophe

Dj I.C.U.

Post by Dj I.C.U. » Wed Apr 05, 2006 8:40 am

According to:Popular culture

Hell is often depicted as a place underground, with fire and molten rock where the devil lives. The devil is popularly depicted as a being or creature who carries a pitchfork (which in turn is actually a trident), has flaming red skin, horns on his head, and a long thin tail with a triangle shaped barb on it. This description of the Devil is popular, to the point of being a cliché and nearly comical to most, but is not supported by scripture.

Greyfox

Post by Greyfox » Mon Aug 28, 2006 6:39 pm

I never expected to find myself agreeing with a pope, but I think John Paul II was right on the money when he said that Hell does not exist as a place, but is a state of mind we place ourselves into when we willfully cut ourselves off from God.

BLACKCAT

Post by BLACKCAT » Tue Sep 12, 2006 6:12 pm

hell is whatever you think it is.

sorceress426

Hell

Post by sorceress426 » Sat Nov 25, 2006 3:26 pm

I believe hell is an expierence of this life.  We create it, we live it & we can leave it.  We may not always be in control of our life but we can always control our view of it.  you need to search within yourself for the cause & then find the cure.

As far as a religious belief..the Gods test us, all of us.  Those tests can be hell, but we survive them.  And if in fact God ifs all forgiving & merciful, how could you believe your are doomed to "hell" in the afterlife? The only tru hell we are damned to is the confirms of the mortal human body... freedom from that has to be heaven!

Vishwas
Site Admin

Re: Hell

Post by Vishwas » Sat Nov 25, 2006 6:43 pm

sorceress426 wrote:I believe hell is an expierence of this life.  We create it, we live it & we can leave it.  We may not always be in control of our life but we can always control our view of it.  you need to search within yourself for the cause & then find the cure.

As far as a religious belief..the Gods test us, all of us.  Those tests can be hell, but we survive them.  And if in fact God ifs all forgiving & merciful, how could you believe your are doomed to "hell" in the afterlife? The only tru hell we are damned to is the confirms of the mortal human body... freedom from that has to be heaven!
Very well said sorceress, thank you.

Return to “Reincarnation and Past Life Experience”