WHAT IS THIS BLACK THING PRODUCED BY THE WICK?

Discuss experienced paranormal activities, share in other experiences and view/upload sightings of all things paranormal.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123

Moonstar88

WHAT IS THIS BLACK THING PRODUCED BY THE WICK?

Post by Moonstar88 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:26 am

IM BOTHERING BY THIS THING, EVERYTIME I LIGHT A CANDLE THERE IS SOMETHING SOLID BLACK PRODUCED AT THE TIP OF THE WICK I UPLOADED THE PICTURE
Attachments
111.jpg
111.jpg (225.05 KiB) Viewed 3703 times
levydin

eye_of_tiger
Site Admin

Carbon mushrooming or wick tip blooming

Post by eye_of_tiger » Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:22 pm

Dear Moonstar,

This explanation is admittedly very long in coming, but the small lumps of black substance are carbon or soot, and their particulate form is due to a phenomenon called "carbon mushrooming" or "wick tip blooming".

There is nothing at all paranormal or supernatural about this, but it can become a major problem especially when you are burning highly scented and dye coloured candles.

What causes "mushrooming" and how do I reduce this?

"Mushrooming" is carbon build-up on the wax when a candle is burnt. The main factors contributing to "mushrooming" are the choice of wick (type and size), the fuel (wax) and what the fuel is made of. Adding scent and dye to the wax "contaminates" the combustion process of a candle. Scent and colour are non-fuel sources that can collect in the wick creating the "mushroom" or carbon ball. Changing the wick, scent and dye combination will correct this problem.

Non cored wicks are always recommended, being more resistant to these carbon deposits building up and preventing a constant, clean burn from happening. Wicks should be regularly trimmed to about half an inch or about 1.25 centimetres in length throughout a burn, in order to further reduce any incidence of mushrooming occurring.

Hoping that this information finally puts your mind at rest in knowing that nothing paranormal is going on with your candles, even though this advice arrives almost ten months late.

I am embarrassed!

EoT :smt102

Ketan1234

Post by Ketan1234 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:24 pm

There is nothing to worry. It is just ashes of your lamp.

eye_of_tiger
Site Admin

Post by eye_of_tiger » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:57 pm

Hi Ketan,

Yours is the short answer, while mine is the longer and more detailed one.

Both are in themselves complete and correct.

In mathematical terminology, your answer is a subset of my own.

Neither indicates that there any valid reason for concern by Moonstar, as to a possible paranormal explanation for this perfectly normal and scientifically explainable phenomenon.

EoT  :smt045

Return to “Paranormal Phenomena”