What does "paranormal" mean?

Discuss experienced paranormal activities, share in other experiences and view/upload sightings of all things paranormal.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123

eye_of_tiger
Site Admin

What does "paranormal" mean?

Post by eye_of_tiger » Wed Jun 08, 2016 12:25 am

Most people when asked the question in my subject heading would say that paranormal means ghosts, poltergeists, furniture (especially beds) and various other objects levitating or flying around the room, unexplained spectral lights in graveyards and anything resembling what Hollywood regards as being paranormal in its horror movies. In other words if the event is not highly dramatic and traumatic to its victims, then it is not we are lead to believe worth including under this label.

Actually the dictionary definition of paranormal is as follows:
Denoting events or phenomena such as telekinesis or clairvoyance that are beyond the scope of normal scientific understanding.
To that I would add "current normal scientific understanding".

Meaning that as our scientific understanding of the laws which operate or give rise to the event increases, eventually they can no longer be described as paranormal as they are now scientifically explained fact.

I don't know about you, but I find it very hard to believe that so few paranormal events are reported by our members during any given period of time.

Maybe we need to downsize (?) our definition of what is seen as paranormal to much more minor events, which may still in hindsight have great significance for us making any progress towards fully understanding these phenomena, in the not so distant future.

To include much less dramatic at the time what seem to be the little miracles which happen throughout our lives, and which constantly challenge our ideas about the nature of reality and whether something is possible.

Basically any event or phenomenon no matter how small and seemingly insignificant which you did not understand how it could have happened and would like to share with us on Mystic Board is PARANORMAL.

Would anyone here like to begin a new paranormal topic?

Thanks,

Brian     :smt032

Talia

Post by Talia » Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:15 am

To be honest I keep my 'events' pretty much to myself. To me they are normal everyday happenings. I am more than happy to help others though who may not have my understanding or experience, not sure I am helping here lol.

eye_of_tiger
Site Admin

Post by eye_of_tiger » Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:58 am

Talia, :smt017

You are helping me quite a lot here (as usual).

Firstly you are being honest and humble about your feelings that paranormal events happen every day, which only confirms that what I said above is true.

That paranormal events do not always have to be the stuff of supernatural horror movies, and that small miracles are constantly happening to us if we can only train ourselves to become more aware of them.

Secondly you are helping both Swetha and myself by volunteering to help the other members understand their paranormal experiences.

Your humility, knowledge, experiences and insights in this and many other psychic and spiritual areas makes you a valued and respected member of our site helper team.

Blessings,

Brian :smt060

Return to “Paranormal Phenomena”