Can't shut down long enough to sleep or meditate........

Learn meditation techniques to relax and improve your own thought processes.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123

PeniAnnie

Can't shut down long enough to sleep or meditate........

Post by PeniAnnie » Fri Nov 23, 2007 5:24 am

:smt009  :smt017
This has been a long standing problem for me.  I've tried relaxation/visualization techniques, meditation CDs, deep breathing exercises but my thoughts just keep racing.   :smt100

I am on disabilities for several different things, most of which comes with the high cost of pain.  I take medications on a regular basis and if foor some reason I don't take my night time medications, I don't go to sleep at all.  With the medications, I sleep for about 3-4 hours.  I am under a lot of stress right now (which has been steadily growing for the past two years) but the thought of not being able to sleep without medication disturbs me.  NOTE*** The medications are not for sleep, they are for pain - but they are not pain medications... they're neurological meds that have a small effect on reducing my pain level.

'm willing to listen to any suggestions for shutting down and meditating

:smt015

~Peni

sladoled77

Post by sladoled77 » Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:19 pm

try to relax with music.
than after relaxation try to meditate
i have provided a software link for meditation. IT HELPS!
why?
because it sets up you brain waves to the alpha level meditation.
if you have any question please ask me i am an expert in this feels
Your problem is simple.
you need to affirm that you can go to relax and meditate

stan

Re: Can't shut down long enough to sleep or meditate........

Post by stan » Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:29 pm

PeniAnnie wrote::smt009  :smt017
This has been a long standing problem for me.  I've tried relaxation/visualization techniques, meditation CDs, deep breathing exercises but my thoughts just keep racing.   :smt100

I am on disabilities for several different things, most of which comes with the high cost of pain.  I take medications on a regular basis and if foor some reason I don't take my night time medications, I don't go to sleep at all.  With the medications, I sleep for about 3-4 hours.  I am under a lot of stress right now (which has been steadily growing for the past two years) but the thought of not being able to sleep without medication disturbs me.  NOTE*** The medications are not for sleep, they are for pain - but they are not pain medications... they're neurological meds that have a small effect on reducing my pain level.

'm willing to listen to any suggestions for shutting down and meditating

:smt015

~Peni

Hi! Replace your sleeplessness with activity, like reading a book, or working on a project, or just anything you would generally have to do during the day.

You may also find a store, or a Wall-mart that carries melatonin. It is a natural product that the body produces for sleep.

Meditation. We all meditate. Whether it's doing a task, reading a book, washing dishes etc. So, observe your normal daily activities and monitor if you have one pointed concentration in performing daily tasks or does your mind wander? If it does quite often, then begin by focusing on the tasks of living. Also remember, to be loving towards yourself, if you find difficulty in concentrating. If your mind wanders, don't get upset, gently bring your mind back. Have faith and perseverance and be gentle and progress may be slow but it will be lasting. Peace and Love

Use Sanskrit mantra only!

ksri10

This has been a long standing problem for me. I've tried re

Post by ksri10 » Fri Dec 21, 2007 10:28 am

Hello Peni,

You wrote " I've tried relaxation/visualization techniques, meditation CDs, deep breathing exercises but my thoughts just keep racing". Do you rememebr the saying? ."MIND IS A WONDERFUL THING TO WATCH"??.
Mind is like a mischievous child. Keep watching it, and it will slow down and quieten.
Have you ever tried watching your mind?? When thoughts come rushing into your mind, let them come, let them flow. Don't ever fight to keep them at bay. Let them come and flood. Just relax and belly breathe. Dont let your thoughts smother you. Just keep watching them as if you are an outside spectator. Try not to get involved in your racing thoughts. Getting not involved in your thoughts can only be achieved by constant awareness of the working of your mind. Initially it is not easy trying not to get involved with your thoughts. but with constant practice your sure will succeed. Never get disheartened if success evades you for a long time. because ultimately YOU WILL WIN!!.

You mentioned .."I am under a lot of stress right now " and
you have also mentioned " The medications are not for sleep, they are for pain - but they are not pain medications... they're neurological meds that have a small effect on reducing my pain level"
The above two are the basic reasons of you losing your normal sleep.
Take a few minutes and try relaxing and find out and make a list of all issues that creates stress in you. See how best you can tackle them. Check if  changing your priorities/ attitude does reduce the stress levels. Even a small reduction in stress levels will contribute to you having a improved sleep pattern.And with consatnt practice the stress levels will slowly reduce. Watch you mind, your behaviour constantly. The moment you feel stress rising, immediately check yourself and adopt 'anti-stress' methods like deep belly breathing, doing something that pleases you most, calling your close friend over phone and chatting, anything that moves your mind away from negative stressful thoughts. This whole business of stress can be dealt with, by change in your attitudes/priorities in life and most importantly constant awareness of your thoughts/actions. Try doing some honorary, voluntary work for few hours a week with organisations which deals with the less fortunate like the Home for Aged, Spactic Children etc. and learn how fortunate you and your loved ones are.

With regards to pain, I will have to know what causes it in the first place. You may reply in this forum or message me. Lets us  see how best we can deal with that.

ABOVE ALL HAVE FAITH IN GOD AND YOURSELF AND NEVER FORGET TO LOVE AND HUG UR YOURSELF. YOU NEED IT MOST.

Return to “Meditation and Mind Improvement”