Can meditation cure anxiety disorder ?

Learn meditation techniques to relax and improve your own thought processes.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123

Verisme

Post by Verisme » Thu Nov 05, 2009 3:16 pm

Hello all, my name is very and i want to tell u a bit story about me. Since my childhood i've always been a shy kid and it take me a long time just to get used with a new enviroment, and in my childhood everytime i go to school and when it time when the school ring the bell for break and eating lunch or breakfast , and everytime i want to eat some food i always have this problem i feel nausea and my heart rate start to pounding faster and harder and i cant eat a thing, i can eat when there are less people and sit the corner where nobody can see me. Another story is when im going to some place new or take a job interview i always have this feeling too (sometime when it's really bad i could throw up) , i don't know this feeling, its like scared but i dont know what i'm scared off , is this what they called aniexty disorder ? and i want to know Can meditation help in dealing with anxiety disorder ? if it can what is the first step for begginer to learn meditation and is it dangereous if you don't do it right ? because in my past i've seen my friend that have been trying to learn meditation and one day he just like a crazy guy or possessed by something because he's suddenly go to the front of the class and start undressing himself and after that he is body is like having a seizures and the teacher grabs him with many of my friend and then he is collapse and unconscious.

so my question is

1. Can anxiety disorder can be treated / cure by meditation ?
2. is it dangerous ? is it dangerous if we are not really focus ?
3. what is the first step / safe way to learning meditation to treat/cure the anxiety disorder ?
4. what is the best way to calm yourself when you have this feeling such as nervous, anxiety, shyness, because i tried to take a deep breath it's only making it worse !

thank in advance for your reply

Maris

Post by Maris » Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:51 pm

answers:
1.yes
2.no
3. your way is right - do and check your feelings.
4. in the beginning you will hear and see a lot of "monkeys" in your mind and body. it is normal.  It would be better, if you practice some yoga exercises before meditation, because this gets off different basic problems. Do a Surya Namaskar, for example. it is easy to practise. and then try meditation. efter 3 breathings you will see a result

until next time :)

decentgal

Post by decentgal » Sat Nov 07, 2009 3:43 am

I understand your problem ,in my teens i have suffered the same symptoms and i can relate to your situation .However you have to do a lot of work on your self .
I would suggest yo to do 10 rounds of alternate nostril breathing(google) .It will provide more oxygen to your mind and will relax you immediately.
Also learn to ground your self for 5 minute daily to let go all your fears and negative thoughts into the earth .
Zen meditation is one of the most recommended techniques plz search for it and you will definitely benefit.Try the techniques i have mentioned because i have improved myself using these.
Make a morning routine for meditation and breathing ,itwill taKE a few day to see some results.

best of luck!

Hina

Verisme

Post by Verisme » Sat Nov 07, 2009 2:07 pm

Maris wrote:answers:

3. your way is right - do and check your feelings.

4. in the beginning you will hear and see a lot of "monkeys" in your mind and body. it is normal.  It would be better, if you practice some yoga exercises before meditation, because this gets off different basic problems. Do a Surya Namaskar, for example. it is easy to practise. and then try meditation. efter 3 breathings you will see a result

until next time :)
sorry I dont quite understand what your say about  "your way is right - do and check your feelings" what way ? my question is what is the first step to do meditation ? and for Surya Namaskar i think i can't do that, because my body is not very flexible but thanks anyway for your answer !

decentgal wrote:I understand your problem ,in my teens i have suffered the same symptoms and i can relate to your situation .However you have to do a lot of work on your self .
I would suggest yo to do 10 rounds of alternate nostril breathing(google) .It will provide more oxygen to your mind and will relax you immediately.
Also learn to ground your self for 5 minute daily to let go all your fears and negative thoughts into the earth .
Zen meditation is one of the most recommended techniques plz search for it and you will definitely benefit.Try the techniques i have mentioned because i have improved myself using these.
Make a morning routine for meditation and breathing ,itwill taKE a few day to see some results.

best of luck!

Hina
What do you mean when you say "learn to ground yourself for 5 minute" ? is it just lying on the floor for 5 minute ? thanks for your answer!

decentgal

Post by decentgal » Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:43 am

grounding means sitting on a chair or sofa or bed with barefoot touching  on ground and imagining that all negative and access thoughts and energies from your chakras and body are going into earth and converting into postive energy.'Do this exercise for  10 minutes daily for the first week and then  5 minutes daily .

Sitting in the same position raise energy from earth by imagining that  earth positive energy is entering your body from your feet upward  and energizing all your body parts  including all your chakras and coming out of your crown chakra (head) and going back to the earth .Its like afountain coming out from your head and going back into the earth .This will complete the circuit.After your body absorbs required energy the rest will go into earth back.It will vitalize your energy.

Do alternate nostril breathing which is the main exercise to oxygenate both sides of your mind and bring down your anxiety levels.Zen meditation is also recommended for peace of mind.

Hina
Last edited by decentgal on Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Maris

your way

Post by Maris » Sun Nov 08, 2009 4:10 pm

I meant first step is to do anything :) because each person is unique and there is no one method for alls.
Start to do and every moment check Your feelings - You dont have to feel a pain and disharmony... it means, You control a treshold of pain and comfort. Do with pleasure :) and feel a joy :)))
Surya Namaskar will make Your body flexible, believe me. In the beginning strech a little and do it easy. After one week You will wonder about Your abilities :)))))) I know good examples: old teacher (about 80) teaches others elders to practice SN and this gives a great benefit.

Verisme

Post by Verisme » Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:29 pm

thanks for the answer !

Maris

Post by Maris » Mon Nov 09, 2009 4:10 pm

decentgal wrote:Do alternate nostril breathing which is the main exercise to oxygenate both sides of your mind and bring down your anxiety levels.Zen meditation is also recommended for peace of mind.
Hina
Yes - it is very very strong and effective. ask to search engine for NADI SHODHANA :)

Return to “Meditation and Mind Improvement”