what material?

Know more about Runes, how to read them and interpret their true meanings.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123

Lecabel

what material?

Post by Lecabel » Fri Dec 15, 2006 1:32 am

Hello,
just somequestions I want answers can you help me out?  :smt002

What type of material should I use to make my own runes? What type of woods, which sizes? Can the run be small or big? Or is it always the same size? how do I make the draws on it? Do I paint it? Which type I use to make it?

thanks in advance  :)

Owl Bear

materials

Post by Owl Bear » Sat Dec 16, 2006 12:03 am

I have been making runes for years and the best advice I can give you is to use what you have. I always use wood, usually cherry because I have an old cherry tree in my back yard which tends to drop branches but I have used any hard wood that I can get (mostly birch or oak in my part of the world). I would not use pine or any other softwood because of the pitch but I have used any other branches that I find in the woods.
The size depends on the size of the branch. One to 1 1/2 inches in diameter and about 1/2 inch thick is about right for ordinary rune sets. If you are making a bindrune talisman you might use a larger diameter and not so thick but whatever you have should work.
I used to carve the staves by hand and then stain the carved surface darker than the background, but these days I use a woodburning tool since arthritis has made it difficult to use carving tools. (I know, some say that you should never do this, but as it was explained to me, wood is made up of the elements of earth, air and water so adding fire cannot be too wrong. Besides, they do not seem to work any worse than the carved ones.) Finish the wood any way you like as long as it is durable and looks good.
Finally, they should be purified and consecrated as you would any other magickal tool. The Norns be with you.

Lecabel

Post by Lecabel » Sat Dec 16, 2006 2:01 am

I better not use fire im already sagitarian thats enough

Ps: I dont wanna get burned :)

Omjit_23

Post by Omjit_23 » Mon Dec 18, 2006 9:25 am

Yeah me too! i being Leo, Don't wana burn myself either.
But thanks .

Gem

Post by Gem » Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:15 am

You can make a really good set of individual runes from clays like Femo that you bake in the oven. Its a fun thing to do with kids and get them started, much safer than burning and cutting and carving :)

Darkfire

What I use for making runes.

Post by Darkfire » Fri Jun 22, 2007 3:23 pm

I use all reclaimed wood for the runes I make. Mother Earth gives us so many gifts no reason to kill another tree. The latest set I am working on is from a piece of a wood cd case my partner found in a dumpster. This thing has been made into several oghams, necklaces, a soap dish, runes, etc. And that was AFTER he used it as a actual cd stand for a few months.  What woods? Well ash is one I have used, pine....honestly I am with the other poster, use what you have or what calls to you.  Usually if I am looking for something I do a small ritual asking for vision to see what it is I want around me. So yah I can be found standing in front of a pile of wood or trash staring off into space, when the piece calls I grab it after asking and then I give thanks.

As for carving. I am not very good so I use a dremel sometimes.  A small chisel or cutting tool manually when I can.

As for staining....well....this set is being stained with my blood. I have used wood finish in the past but our Ancestors didn't have that and most stains and finishes are terrible for the environment. Also have used nontoxic paint. The colors black and red. Or I leave em natural and use linseed oil or some other like olive. NO petrol products, NO animal products either.

For the set I am working on now I made a rune bowl out of a coconut shell, I painted it black and on the rim at the base painted ODINS GIFT RUNES in red. (what I did not do is use colons to separate the words. I may go back and do that)The rim lip is in red and on the inside at the bottom is the two runes for vision  and sight. I used a nontoxic glass finish that is actually food grade but it is not shellac, all vegan. I just signed up today and don't know if we can post pictures but if we can and I figure out how I will post a pic of the bowl and the rune set  as well.

MoonGoddess

Post by MoonGoddess » Sat Jun 23, 2007 8:21 am

(what I did not do is use colons to separate the words. I may go back and do that)
Yep I know what you mean you have to use what is available to you, cause if you didn't well it would be a long time coming to make your runes.

When you speak of colons to mark, do you mean (:) or take the bottom dot away?  I am not sure how other people do it but I have always been under the assumption that one dot mid level between words is how it is done.  Well that is how I have done it for years anyway...lol.  It is interesting how other people have learnt to write in runes.

Darkfire

dots and colons

Post by Darkfire » Sat Jun 23, 2007 11:56 am

MoonGoddess wrote:
(what I did not do is use colons to separate the words. I may go back and do that)
Yep I know what you mean you have to use what is available to you, cause if you didn't well it would be a long time coming to make your runes.

When you speak of colons to mark, do you mean (:) or take the bottom dot away?  I am not sure how other people do it but I have always been under the assumption that one dot mid level between words is how it is done.  Well that is how I have done it for years anyway...lol.  It is interesting how other people have learnt to write in runes.
UG bad me for drinking two cups of green tea then typing. My fingers were faster than my brain. A  dot to separate words and a colon to separate sentences. Historically not all the carvings had this but sunnway supports the way I do it. I use that site if I want a quick and dirty translation. :smt002

EarlofLeicester

Post by EarlofLeicester » Sat Jun 23, 2007 1:55 pm

MoonGoddess wrote:When you speak of colons to mark, do you mean (:) or take the bottom dot away?  I am not sure how other people do it but I have always been under the assumption that one dot mid level between words is how it is done.  Well that is how I have done it for years anyway...lol.  It is interesting how other people have learnt to write in runes.
Hi MG,
The colon is from the historical era, as it was used by the original people who used the runes.  My favorite example is from 11th century Sweden, the Sigurd carving:

I think the single mid-height dot (as opposed to the colon) has its origins in Arabic history, but I am not exactly sure about that.  I am not familiar with the dots for words and colon for sentences, but then again I don't know everything... But the colon was clearly used for the ancient Germanic/Scandinavian/Anglo-Saxon rune workers.  And in the 11th century Sigurd carving, the runic inscription is just one sentence and each word is delimited by colons, not dots.  In my experience, I have only seen the colons.

Another example of colons to separate words:

although in fairness there is also this:

Well, as there are different names and some variations in futharks (futhorcs), it makes sense that there would be variations in.. punctuation. :)

MoonGoddess

Post by MoonGoddess » Sun Jun 24, 2007 9:40 am

lol I never really thought of the end of sentences my punctuation is really bad at the best of times.  When I am translating English into Runic script it takes so much out of me that I only can do sentences and forget about full stops.  The gods forbid any one that reads my translations should be banging there heads on a brick wall by now...lol

Will endeavour to be more punctuate from now on...he he he

Return to “Runes”