Rune discussion

Know more about Runes, how to read them and interpret their true meanings.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123

MoonGoddess

Dag

Post by MoonGoddess » Thu Feb 22, 2007 6:19 am

A little bit rusty so correct me if I am wrong, I believe this rune also teaches us patience and not go charging on ahead.  As the day will alway plod on at it's own pace no matter what we do to try and speed it up.  Hope this is some what correct. :)

EarlofLeicester

Re: Dag

Post by EarlofLeicester » Thu Feb 22, 2007 3:15 pm

MoonGoddess wrote:A little bit rusty so correct me if I am wrong, I believe this rune also teaches us patience and not go charging on ahead.  As the day will alway plod on at it's own pace no matter what we do to try and speed it up.  Hope this is some what correct. :)
I interpret Dagaz to be more of a view of an awakening, or a dawning, as in a cycle (like day to night, etc) and the meaning being that something positive has happened, a breakthrough, or significant change, and that progress has or will be made.  In that context I think you are 100% right, that it is change that is slow and steady (more tortoise than hare).  Let me consult the books... shuffle, page flip... yep, here it is (Lisa Peschel's Practical Guide to the Runes):

The growth symbolized by this rune is slow, but steady, rather than overnight success.

You're right on the money with the patience aspect.  Trying to hurry the results of Dagaz would probably be counterproductive at best.

MoonGoddess

Dagaz

Post by MoonGoddess » Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:28 am

Here is a good use for this rune, so we know it is not just for reading. According to my book (Rune Magic The history and practice of ancient runic traditions by Nigel Pennick),  Magically Dag is a powerful blocking rune.  But this does not mean that it is  harmful.  On the contrary, it is  a very beneficial rune of Light, Health, Prosperity and openings.  Traditionally, it is painted or carved on doors, window shutters, doorposts and other uprights in the house.  It's function is to prevent entry of harmful sprites, whilst admitting things which are desired.

Sorry that sounded a bit long winded, very text booky.  Just a little bit more which I found very interesting..."Another magical use is to bring invisibility.  Things, and people, 'sealed' with this rune are not noticed."  So I guess if you did not want people to notice something you have in your house when they come to visit seal it with Dag.  I could go on all day.... ;)

EarlofLeicester

Post by EarlofLeicester » Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:40 pm

Dagaz is more difficult to interpret, because it is only addressed in the Anglo-Saxon poem, although it is part of the Edler Futhark.  The A-S says this:

Day, the glorious light of the Creator, is sent by the Lord;
it is beloved of men, a source of hope and happiness to rich and poor,
and of service to all.

In this case, one can suspect that some selective Christian editing took place, which has happened with many of the old sources.

I read somewhere that Dagaz represents the horizontal figure eight associated with infinity, which in this case means eternity, or endless cycles (of days and nights).  Although it is eternal, that the concept of dawning is pretty constant in what I've read and that it represents change. I wasn't aware of its use as to invisibility. (That may be more Anglo-Saxon than Norse Elder Futhark; I believe Nigel Pennick is English (meaning Saxon), is he not?)  If I wanted to protect something (although not to make invisible) I would use Thurisaz. If I wanted to protect my home, maybe Thurisaz and Othala.
seal it with Dag.  I could go on all day.... ;)
Cute :)

MoonGoddess

Dagaz

Post by MoonGoddess » Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:58 am

Yep Nigel Pennick is English.

He also says Feoh was hung from the eves of a house to promote growth and increase of one cattle or I guess wealth these days.  Maybe a combination of all four runes would be alright but then, it could all go pare shape if you did in the wrong sequence.

I read about this story of a woman who had been sick for ages in her bed, until one day a man who knew his runes came to visit and realise some idiot had made a mistake in the Runes they had put on the bed head in so doing made the womans sickness longer then it would have been.  He cleared to wrong runes and carved into the whale bone bed head the right ones and the woman instantly sat up saying she was cured.  It is ashame these stories don't tell you what the runes were that cure her mystry ailment.  That is to discover for ourselve I guess, just imagine all the sick children we could cure.

EarlofLeicester

Re: Dagaz

Post by EarlofLeicester » Mon Feb 26, 2007 4:25 am

MoonGoddess wrote:I read about this story of a woman who had been sick for ages in her bed, until one day a man who knew his runes came to visit and realise some idiot had made a mistake in the Runes they had put on the bed head in so doing made the womans sickness longer then it would have been.  He cleared to wrong runes and carved into the whale bone bed head the right ones and the woman instantly sat up saying she was cured.  It is ashame these stories don't tell you what the runes were that cure her mystry ailment.  That is to discover for ourselve I guess, just imagine all the sick children we could cure.
That was from Egil's Saga, one of the greatest Icelandic Sagas and was about runemaster Egil Skallagrimsson, probably the greatest runemaster to live in my opinion (other than Odin and Freya, but that's a given).

EarlofLeicester

Re: Ooopse Correction to my last

Post by EarlofLeicester » Mon Feb 26, 2007 4:28 am

MoonGoddess wrote:It was Wyn or Wunjo which was hung from the eves of a house to promote harmony, balance and joy just like a windvane which moves in harmony with the prevailing wind current.  Sorry was reading that late at night and my brain was half asleep, will try to remain more alert when reading up on stuff.   arrrrrrrrrrrgh mignt be hard for a pregnant woman, need more chocolate.
Feoh (or Fehu) for cattle/wealth and Wunjo (Wyn/Wynn) for harmony makes sense in the context of what the runes symbolize.  I have recently started pouring maple syrup in the form of Wunjo in pancakes when they are cooking for harmony.  It's the little things, I find, that help keep me focused on runic meditation (I'm not a great meditator) during the day!

MoonGoddess

Mmmm pancakes

Post by MoonGoddess » Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:38 am

Do you make yours with buttermilk, it makes them so much more fluffier and thicker.  Will have to find that recipe and post it on my blog. Hopefully soon my photos and images will be able to uploaded so that some of my blogs make sense.  I have been working with Dag and Wunjo quite a bit lately, it make sense now that I am older but when I first got started if some one had suggested but life as an example of runes I think I would have been hearing crickets for a while.  I use Wunjo mostly for my creativity as as well as your heart chakra it extends to your palms as well the colour being green.  I actually my post something on my blog about Runic chakras or do you think I should start up another topic as well?

EarlofLeicester

Post by EarlofLeicester » Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:54 pm

Hi MoonGoddess.  I make mine with Bisquick, lol.  Add water (no milk, no egg, cheaper that way) and sugar free imitation maple syrup for drawing the runes.  Nice and heavy like a manhole cover, which is how I like them.  Well, the crickets aren't chirping, so you're doing fine!  You should blog about whatever is important to you.  I haven't got caught up on the blogs from overnite yet, saw you had posts here, so wanted to get to them first.

MoonGoddess

Dagaz

Post by MoonGoddess » Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:08 am

Will have to find my recipe and post it on my blog

EarlofLeicester

Post by EarlofLeicester » Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:39 pm

Well, I could probably use a real recipe anyway!  Thanks!

Return to “Runes”