making them

Know more about Runes, how to read them and interpret their true meanings.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123

moondancer86

making them

Post by moondancer86 » Mon Nov 06, 2006 1:01 am

I want to make runes..but have no idea how... Can you make walking sticks with runes ? Like can you engrave for protection or spirit or something along that line?

EarlofLeicester

Re: making them

Post by EarlofLeicester » Thu Nov 16, 2006 2:23 pm

moondancer86 wrote:I want to make runes..but have no idea how... Can you make walking sticks with runes ? Like can you engrave for protection or spirit or something along that line?
Many years ago, many items (like swords, for example) where inscribed with runes and the like.  For protection, success in battle, etc.  Some runes are known as bindrunes, which is (usually) 2 runes overlapped or connected to generate the desired magical effect.

Bindrune.com has some information on this.  Here is one that  may be appropriate for a walking stick:

Attachments
safejourney.jpg
safejourney.jpg (1.48 KiB) Viewed 13464 times

MoonGoddess

Making Runes

Post by MoonGoddess » Thu Feb 22, 2007 7:12 am

You certainly can make your own runes or walking stick or what ever you wish to empower.  I started engraving candles much easier then wood and some times it is hard to get the right would such as willow or oak.  Especially if you don't live where any grow, or the trees are too young.  So I went for candles, engraving them with runes and filling them in with different colours, Red is a powerful colour.  Some people say when you are carving magical tools you should not use metal to do it but I reckon if you do a cleansing on the tool after you have carved and then empower it with red dye it should be fine.  If anyone has on any other cutting implements to use for carving other then wood carving tools made of metal I am all ears and am very interested.
May the Goddess enlighten you all, Blessed Be!

reichild

Post by reichild » Thu Feb 22, 2007 7:51 am

My cousin cut a staff from oak for me 12 yrs ago on my 21st birthday, he blessed the tree first and asked for a branch, took one and then blessed and thanked the tree again.

I shaved, cleaned and carved a knob atop my staff, engaved my favourite rune on the centre of the knob and a runic prayer of protection down the side of my staff. I also carved a spiral on every bump of the staff (i love spirals) every night before i go to bed i use my staff direct it toward each of the windows and doors & trace protection rune on each, then i place my staff next to the head of my bed.

You must learn the rune before carving them as they can cause illness or worse if not used properly.

this seems like a good link to give you some ideas: http://home.earthlink.net/~wodensharrow/runemaking.html

(no doubt Earl will let us know if it's not correct  :)  )
rechild

EarlofLeicester

Post by EarlofLeicester » Thu Feb 22, 2007 1:49 pm

reichild wrote:My cousin cut a staff from oak for me 12 yrs ago on my 21st birthday, he blessed the tree first and asked for a branch, took one and then blessed and thanked the tree again.

I shaved, cleaned and carved a knob atop my staff, engaved my favourite rune on the centre of the knob and a runic prayer of protection down the side of my staff. I also carved a spiral on every bump of the staff (i love spirals) every night before i go to bed i use my staff direct it toward each of the windows and doors & trace protection rune on each, then i place my staff next to the head of my bed.

You must learn the rune before carving them as they can cause illness or worse if not used properly.

this seems like a good link to give you some ideas: http://home.earthlink.net/~wodensharrow/runemaking.html

The link from Reichild is excellent, as is content in the post.  Nothing here to correct, but just some concepts I would like to reiterate:
  • Learn the runes. Absolutely.  This cannot be understated.
  • The link above contains links to some of the ancient sources of runic wisdom.  Read these.  Interpretations from modern authors is helpful, of course, but to understand the runes in the context of those who used them so well is so important.  
  • The Icelandic "Egil's Saga" tells the story of one of its greatest runemasters (from a millenia ago) where well meant but incorrect runes caused great harm (making the person sick).  In fact, I was blogging about this very subject last night.
  • Red is a powerful color, to be sure. Many of the ancient runemasters would stain the engraving with their blood as part of a ritual of consecration.  In modern society, that is often frowned upon, but the connection with red (as in paint) as a symbol of the flow of life is still very powerful and highly recommended.

EarlofLeicester

Post by EarlofLeicester » Thu Feb 22, 2007 6:35 pm

reichild wrote:My cousin cut a staff from oak for me 12 yrs ago on my 21st birthday, he blessed the tree first and asked for a branch, took one and then blessed and thanked the tree again.

I'm guessing that favorite is Ing?  (or Ingwaz, if you prefer).  Anyway, the point of this is I want to thank you for this post, because it has me thinking... almost mediating (but I'm not that good)... on a higher purpose!

MoonGoddess

This has inspired me to get out my candles again

Post by MoonGoddess » Fri Feb 23, 2007 4:14 am

Wow I am very impressed, and it has motivated me to get creative again thankyou all very much.

EarlofLeicester

Post by EarlofLeicester » Fri Feb 23, 2007 2:38 pm

I was never good at working with wood, whether in wood shop or when I worked in a lumber yard oh-so-many years ago.  I am hoping Reichild posts a picture of her staff, because I would love to see it!

MoonGoddess

Most Definately!

Post by MoonGoddess » Sat Feb 24, 2007 12:34 pm

I would love to see it, as I know how hard it is to carve wood.  I have cut myself so many times trying to get my rune pendants I use to do just right.  That is probably why I resorted to carving candles instead...lol

EarlofLeicester

Post by EarlofLeicester » Sat Feb 24, 2007 5:08 pm

I have an admiration of all artisans who, through their skill and patience, who bring something special out of nothing (or raw materials at any rate).
The fool who fancies he is full of wisdom while he sits by his hearth at home.
Quickly finds when questioned by others that he knows nothing at all.
- The Havamal, verse 26

reichild

Post by reichild » Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:51 am

EarlofLeicester wrote:I was never good at working with wood, whether in wood shop or when I worked in a lumber yard oh-so-many years ago.  I am hoping Reichild posts a picture of her staff, because I would love to see it!
I have tried to get a pic but my camera is flat (batteries) and i do not have a sd card or cord to transfer my pic from my camera phone (cell) so i wil have to get new batteries for my camera  :)

MoonGoddess

Can't wait

Post by MoonGoddess » Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:11 am

Sounds awesome, inspired me to sew a new bag for my runes.

reichild

Post by reichild » Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:05 pm

8 years ago, i asked a women (i found her card in a crystal shop) to make a bindrune for my cousin for his birthday, as i had seen her work and loved it.

She turned out to be one of NZ's top psychics and took a liking to me, anyway she gifted me an aqa-marine necklace and a bag of runes she had crafted for me herself.

The bag is made from soft brown suede with purple velvet binding (and ties) around the rim and the rune are made from plum (i think) wood, she oiled them each with the specific essential oils that pertain to that rune (don't ask me what each of these are, i don't know). She told me that the tree (if a fruit tree) must be in fruit (fruitful) when the branch is taken for the rune, so that all it's workings will be fruitful! They are beautiful and still have thier lovely scent 8 years later!

P.s i will take sme pics of these too when i have batteries for my camera
rechild

EarlofLeicester

Post by EarlofLeicester » Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:46 pm

reichild wrote:
EarlofLeicester wrote:I was never good at working with wood, whether in wood shop or when I worked in a lumber yard oh-so-many years ago.  I am hoping Reichild posts a picture of her staff, because I would love to see it!
I have tried to get a pic but my camera is flat (batteries) and i do not have a sd card or cord to transfer my pic from my camera phone (cell) so i wil have to get new batteries for my camera  :)
Oh, the maddening frustration!  I have a camera ti USB cable I don't use and an spare SD card and 13 extra AAA batteries (don't know if you use them).  Wish modern day technology would let me e-mail them to you!
- The Havamal, verse 26

EarlofLeicester

Post by EarlofLeicester » Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:50 pm

reichild wrote:8 years ago, i asked a women (i found her card in a crystal shop) to make a bindrune for my cousin for his birthday, as i had seen her work and loved it.

She turned out to be one of NZ's top psychics and took a liking to me, anyway she gifted me an aqa-marine necklace and a bag of runes she had crafted for me herself.

The bag is made from soft brown suede with purple velvet binding (and ties) around the rim and the rune are made from plum (i think) wood, she oiled them each with the specific essential oils that pertain to that rune (don't ask me what each of these are, i don't know). She told me that the tree (if a fruit tree) must be in fruit (fruitful) when the branch is taken for the rune, so that all it's workings will be fruitful! They are beautiful and still have thier lovely scent 8 years later!

P.s i will take sme pics of these too when i have batteries for my camera
The runes sound very nice, and that was cool that the meeting was with someone who turned out to be one of the top psychics in the country.  Cool!  Well, you gotta like someone who gives bindrunes for birthday gifts!  Oh, yeah!  Scented for 8 years!  Wow, that's pretty darned impressive.  Well, you have lots of homework for when the camera is back online!
- The Havamal, verse 26

Return to “Runes”