Historical Precedent for the 3 Rune Cast

Know more about Runes, how to read them and interpret their true meanings.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123

Wælwulf

Re: Finally made it to this thread

Post by Wælwulf » Mon May 28, 2007 3:09 pm

eliosduck wrote:To dismiss the value of the anient Egpytion alhabet and it’s properties concerning relegious value for “Runes” only, does not make one an elitist pig, but rather a closed minded fundamentalist.

Academicly sourced enuff for ya?
I don't remember anyone disparaging "the anient Egpytion alhabet"[sic]. You should probably go back & read more of this thread. It looks like you completely misunderstood...

& yes, it's "Academicly sourced enuff" [sic], but your rant may carry more weight next time if you'll do a little proofreading before submitting a post. You misspelled academically, among other things.

EarlofLeicester

Post by EarlofLeicester » Mon May 28, 2007 8:53 pm

Waelwulf was stating that there were no historically verifiable Egyptian runesets, not that there was no merit in the Egyptian language.  Runes are, to the best of my knowledge, historically isolated to Germania.  Runes are more than an alphabet and language and that is the point he was making.  That the concept of engraving individual alphabet characters on certain media (such as wood or stone), associating the alphabetical character with a given meaning, having the media small enough that 20 or so can fit in your hands, and having precise and specific rules for casting and interpretation, well that is what the runes are, and that is why they are historically limited to the Germanics.  No one is accusing anyone of deliberate deception, but it is possible that the Eye of Horus was unintentionally and/or partially misrepresented as a runic construct.  Maybe we had a laugh or two about being a pig, but we care about our personal studies and, frankly, if we didn't care, we wouldn't be having this discussion.  

To Eliosduck, your sarcasm is not necessary.  

No one doubts that there were Egyptian glyphs, as you point out in your blog, and that they had mystical properties, like you point out. But, and it is a big but, the Egyptian mystical glyph is not a rune.  It is a mystical glyph.  They are not the same thing.

Rhutobello

Post by Rhutobello » Mon May 28, 2007 8:55 pm

We are many who have English as our second Language.
The fact that we are posting in any English "writing" forum show that we at least try to make an conversation in this Language.
I therefore find it out of order if any who have English as native language start to use writing error as  mean to downgrade any post.

When that is said, we who don't have English as our native language must be open for the fact that we can misunderstand many a post.
We must not attack....we must stay on case...and if we feel we are been done wrong by anyone...please contact a mod.

The same goes for an English speaking person, we, who try, have a limit number of words...so many times our statement comes out wrong...or with a meaning not intended.
Always try to read the post with an open mind...don't attack...try to clarify...if they are nasty...call a mod.

After reading this thread...I think you all have very good knowledge in Runes.....but I also think it might have come a bit out of hand.

Please stay on subject (runes)....not on each other :)

EarlofLeicester

Post by EarlofLeicester » Mon May 28, 2007 9:15 pm

Hi Rhuto, I sent a PM to MoonGoddess to address potential problems requiring moderator interaction.
The fool who fancies he is full of wisdom while he sits by his hearth at home.
Quickly finds when questioned by others that he knows nothing at all.
- The Havamal, verse 26

Rhutobello

Post by Rhutobello » Mon May 28, 2007 10:18 pm

The thread has developed into quarrel...where Rune knowledge aren't the main point....I close the thread.

Return to “Runes”