Questions

Know more about Runes, how to read them and interpret their true meanings.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123

MarcoAZS

Questions

Post by MarcoAZS » Wed Dec 27, 2006 10:29 pm

Hi,
Here in Brazil , specially in the area I live, we dont have big branches we only have really tinnye ones, and the trees are smalls too also (belive me, the biggestmight be only 3 people in normal meters).
1-Can I use them?
2-Is there any Ritual?
3-I will be in canada in february, will I find some better treesthere?
4-Should I wait till Canada?
5-How much is the price of an already made one? Is it unworthy?
6-What type of runes exist?
7-Can I make my runes mixed with all the types of runes?
8- If no can you plz tell me what rune type is better so I can make it (plz give the name), can you also tell me what are the benefits of each type?

:)Thanks in advance, I hope I dont botter you guys too much....  :smt003

EarlofLeicester

Re: Questions

Post by EarlofLeicester » Wed Dec 27, 2006 11:30 pm

Hi MarcoAZS

I will answer the questions as best as possible:

1-Can I use them?

Small runes are fine.  Dimensions like this:

Rune size: (approx.) Ins: 1 high x ¾ wide x ½ thick
                             mm: 25 x 18 x 12

are generally okay.

2-Is there any Ritual?

There is attunement, which is generally keeping them near you so they can bond, and consecration, which involves a purification rite.  Owl Bear, a member here, has this to say:  in my experience, any type of cleansing that removes any negative energy will work. I use a purification ritual using the elements for anything I buy for magickal use.  After that, a smudging once a month or so seems to work well unless there has been some really heavy negative energy present. I consecrate mine to Odin and the Norns but you can use whatever deity or deities that you are comfortable with.

3-I will be in Canada in February, will I find some better trees there?

I would suspect that yes, this is the case.  Hard woods like oak should be avoided because they are difficult to work.  Pines tend to get all pitchy, so they should be avoided, too.  Trees that bear fruits are considered good.

4-Should I wait till Canada?

If you want to make your own and there are no tress that meet the requirements of 1 and 3 above, then yes.  If you can make them locally, then you don't have to wait.

5-How much is the price of an already made one? Is it unworthy?

Oswald the Runemaker (a well known craftsman) makes some nice wooden runes for under $30 from small branches like you describe.  Misty-Midnight (she is a member of Mystic-Board) makes larger runes for $10 including shipping.  Both sites discuss the runes in some detail.   They are very worthy. Here are some links:

For my review of these runes:  http://mysticboard.org/we ... w=78&e=339

For Misty's website:
http://www.misty-midnightrain.com/runes.html

And here are the runes:

6-What type of runes exist?

Wood is considered the best medium for making runes.  Runes are also made out of crystal and semi-precious stones.   Runes can also be made of pewter.

7-Can I make my runes mixed with all the types of runes?

I am not sure what you are asking here.  I think you are asking Can you make your runes mixed with all types of the markings on them?  The answer to that is no.  The rune markings are letters of different runic alphabets, although the word for alphabet for runes is called futhark.

8- If no can you plz tell me what rune type is better so I can make it (plz give the name), can you also tell me what are the benefits of each type?

The futharks will vary for different heritages of the people of Germanic descent (specifically Scandinavia and Anglo-Saxon England).  The futhark known as the Elder Futhark is generally accepted to be the original futhark of the Norse people.  The Norse people and their traditions are the basis of the runes, so to use the Elder Futhark is to use the runes the way they were designed to be used.

:)Thanks in advance, I hope I dont botter you guys too much....  :smt003[/quote]

Not a bother at all!

Malachai

Post by Malachai » Sun Feb 04, 2007 4:56 pm

A very beautiful set of runes you have there Earl. May I ask, what wood did you use in order to make them, and how did you obtain a wood-burner to etch them, and is it easy to use?

EarlofLeicester

Post by EarlofLeicester » Tue Feb 06, 2007 2:49 pm

I didn't make them.  They were a prize that I won on a contest run by Misty-Midnight (she is a member of this forum).  I honestly don't know the type of wood involved, I'm not overly learned in that subject matter.  Questions on this can be answered by Misty.  Her website on runes is here:  http://www.misty-midnightrain.com/runes.html

Return to “Runes”