Magickal Meanings of Runes

Know more about Runes, how to read them and interpret their true meanings.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123

swetha
Site Admin

Post by swetha » Mon Jul 25, 2005 6:43 am

Feoh -- means movable wealth, such as money and possessions.  It also implies the energy and hard work that leads to wealth.  Movable wealth can take many forms - can be emotional and spiritual riches, as well as money.

Uruz -- positive strength, determination, perseverance, courage, physical health, assertiveness; include in any healing

Thurisaz -- protection, combating any action, curses (but be careful -- can backfire easily!)

Ansuz -- can be used to gain knowledge of Odin, the gods, our own ancestors and ancestral heritage

Raido -- ability to control, take initiatives, put things in order, be the boss, move or remove things, direct magickal energies where needed

Kenaz -- kinship, learning, teaching, quest for knowledge and passing knowledge on; gaining occult knowledge from other planes; use for astral or shamanic travel; exposing what is hidden

Gebo -- reconciles two opposed or complementary forces; use to bind or to give blessings or curses

Wunjo -- realize true will, wishing; combines well with Raido (ability to control)

Hagalaz -- creates confusion, disruption; can be used in vengeance spells to turn someone's past against him

Nauthiz -- excellent for defensive magick, as in restraining or restricting someone else's magickal attack; can be used to stop incoming action

Isa -- defense by blocking; that is, places barriers in the path of opponent or competitor

Jera -- creates positive, lasting change in a situation; works well in all matters involving time

Eihwaz -- use in situations that demand an outgoing, go-out-and-get-it response, such as searching for a job or an apartment

Pertho -- use in regression work; can put you in touch with the Norns

Algiz -- invoke divine protection, acts as shielding device, especially in working where backlash is a consideration; can be applied to the four corners as a protective sigil, much like a pentagram, but with a more defensive effect

Sowulo -- contributes strength to any healing spell; reinforces other runes with solar energy; centers and directs working

Teiwaz -- gain justice, but only if you have right on your side (cannot be used if you are guilty, or to pervert justice); combination of Teiwaz and Raido in a bindrune can win a court case

Berkana -- important in feminine mysteries; regenerating forces of nature, growth of vegetation, strong shamanic connections; use to alleviate problems with menstrual periods, pregnancy, delivery

Ehwaz -- create links between people or split them apart

Mannaz -- verbal communication, academic examinations, legal disputes; can be used to arbitrate or mediate in a conflict; used with Ansuz in a bindrune, it can help you in any communication need

Laguz -- sorcery, occult; can use to attract love; if projected between the eyes of a person making a request, a positive reply will be more likely (probably wouldn't work if you asked a bank manager for a million dollars, but would be useful when asking for a pay raise!)

Inguz -- use in binding; also makes a great doorway to the astral, so project onto an imaginary door or curtain, for pathworking or astral travel

Othila -- establishing, centering, and "earthing" a working down to the physical plane; use to invoke Odin; creates a sense of belonging and togetherness in group workings and binds people together in a common goal

Dagaz -- exclude or render invisible; used to place something "outside", for example, you could envelop yourself in this rune to go somewhere unnoticed

drjain

want to knw the meaning of runes?

Post by drjain » Tue Mar 14, 2006 11:03 am

what are the se runes?

PrincessinVain

Post by PrincessinVain » Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:58 am

wow, cool, i'd like to know more about runes. I love checking out ancient stuff. I'll try to finish reading this sub-forum:)

swetha
Site Admin

Post by swetha » Sat Apr 08, 2006 7:40 am

posting more soon:)

MoonGoddess

Update

Post by MoonGoddess » Thu Apr 12, 2007 4:55 am

I was looking through this post and noticed it was missing the first Rune of the Elder Futhark. Will keep on looking through it to make sure I haven't missed anything.

Wælwulf

Feoh is the first

Post by Wælwulf » Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:31 pm

Feoh is actually the first. It's just not the Old Norse name, it's the Anglo-Saxon name (more specifically it is most likely West-Saxon).

EDIT:

Or did Swetha edit that & add it later? Saw you used the term in another post & realized my probable incorrect assumption of sorts on the matter.

Oh well, as my mom always says, "To assume makes an a** out of you & me.".

MoonGoddess

Edit

Post by MoonGoddess » Fri Apr 13, 2007 12:01 pm

I did a little edit, I was going off my book by Nigel Pennick, I would actually like to put all the different names in starting with the original names but I will have to do my research more on it as some have all names they are known by and other runes don't.  Just looked in my book by Lisa Peschel and she calls it Fehu, is that close?  Thanks for your input by the way.

Wælwulf

Post by Wælwulf » Fri Apr 13, 2007 5:29 pm

Yes, Fehu is generally considered the name for the first glyph of the Elder Fuþark. I believe that it's strictly a Proto-Germanic word, but I may be mistaken. Proto-Germanic is, however, a reconstructed language based on Grimm's law, so that is of course, mere conjecture on everybody's part.

Gem

Post by Gem » Fri Apr 13, 2007 5:37 pm

Wælwulf wrote:Yes, Fehu is generally considered the name for the first glyph of the Elder Fuþark. I believe that it's strictly a Proto-Germanic word, but I may be mistaken. Proto-Germanic is, however, a reconstructed language based on Grimm's law, so that is of course, mere conjecture on everybody's part.
One could say that the whole resurrection of runes is pure conjecture on everybody's part too?

Wælwulf

Post by Wælwulf » Fri Apr 13, 2007 5:48 pm

Gem wrote: One could say that the whole resurrection of runes is pure conjecture on everybody's part too?
Absolutely. Of course, I suppose we could say the same of reality :P

MoonGoddess

From what I have read

Post by MoonGoddess » Sat Apr 14, 2007 7:30 am

The Runes were meant for creative change, so it only seems right that other cultures have taken them on board and added their little bit of insight to them to let them flurish and grow as they were meant.

But I must admit with all the different cultures that they have gone through it does get confusing with all the different names for each rune.

MoonGoddess

EarlofLeicester

Post by EarlofLeicester » Sat Apr 28, 2007 7:55 pm

These are NOT in aett order nor use the names that everyone would use (although I prefer the Elder zfuthark name of Wunjo over its A-S equivalent Wynn, for instance) but I figured it would be useful to introduce the symbols (aka glyphs) to those new to runes.  The symbol for Wunjo (the "P"-like avatar I have) helps to convey the imagery of the rune more than just a name alone:

Return to “Runes”