Has anyone made their own Runes???

Know more about Runes, how to read them and interpret their true meanings.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123

cartooner

Post by cartooner » Thu Nov 30, 2006 2:00 am

I have made a set from deer antlers and based o native american symbols.
What is coming a you, is coming from you.

Owl Bear

Making vs. buying runes

Post by Owl Bear » Wed Dec 13, 2006 3:44 pm

I have been using and making runes for many years and I have found no difference between homemade and store-bought as long as the purchased runes are purified and consecrated prior to use. They must also be attuned to your specific energies before using them for magickal or divination purposes. Probably everyone has their own way of doing this, but I find it sufficient just to keep them near you at all times for a few days to a week.
When I make my own runes, they do not require purification because the only energies that they are exposed to are my own but they still require consecration. I prefer cherry wood but I have also used oak (hard to work) and birch (not as pretty). I sometimes use stone runes when I am using them as part of an amulet and I want the energy of the specific type of stone but this is rare. :smt008
Blessings.

EarlofLeicester

Re: No Shipping

Post by EarlofLeicester » Fri Dec 22, 2006 6:07 pm

misty-midnightrain wrote:No thanks It is my gift to you.  Enjoy, I will ship on Tuesday.I hope you like them.
They are wonderful.  I used them for the first time today (long story, I won't bore) and found them so alive.  Best recommendation I can make, they just had a sort of energy to them.

EarlofLeicester

Re: Making vs. buying runes

Post by EarlofLeicester » Fri Dec 22, 2006 6:14 pm

Owl Bear wrote:I have been using and making runes for many years and I have found no difference between homemade and store-bought as long as the purchased runes are purified and consecrated prior to use. They must also be attuned to your specific energies before using them for magickal or divination purposes. Probably everyone has their own way of doing this, but I find it sufficient just to keep them near you at all times for a few days to a week.
When I make my own runes, they do not require purification because the only energies that they are exposed to are my own but they still require consecration. I prefer cherry wood but I have also used oak (hard to work) and birch (not as pretty). I sometimes use stone runes when I am using them as part of an amulet and I want the energy of the specific type of stone but this is rare. :smt008
I'll be the first to admit that I have not performed any consecration or purification rites prior to use.  It kinda freaked me out, some references to blood, etc. in some sources.  Guess I'm squeamish.  B-U-T I did keep them near me prior to use.  In the case of Misty-Midnight's wooden ones, I had them under my futon (which is very close to the top of the futon, it's a thin futon) for a month, so there was plenty of energy attunement (I hope).

For me, the key component has been belief and desire.  A means of communicating with some supernatural force, with my ancestors and the goddess Freya a conduit.  Ahhh... I am explaining this all wrong, I suppose, but it is a hunger, a need for more than what is visible and a trust and faith in those that came before me, and to tap their wisdom.  Sigh.  A wisdom clearly lacking in this post I am trying to make...

Owl Bear

Post by Owl Bear » Wed Dec 27, 2006 8:57 pm

Some sources do call for blood rituals, but in my experience, any type of cleansing that removes any negative energy will work. I use a purification ritual using the elements for anything I buy for magickal use.  After that, a smudging once a month or so seems to work well unless there has been some really heavy negative energy present. I consecrate mine to Odin and the Norns but you can use whatever deity or deities that you are comfortable with.
Blessings.

pendragon

My Rune Set

Post by pendragon » Sat Jun 07, 2008 6:43 pm

I am just beginning to learn of runes and have made my own set.  I have not used them as of yet, I am going through the Runic workbook, but I have already found that the
runes 'speak' to me.  As I have found that one in particular does not want to stay in my hand, I have 'dropped' it about three separate times always the same rune. Has anyone heard of this?  I am really enjoying my new experiences, and really enjoy the feeling it gives me.  Again I am new at this so any and all comments will be gladly accepted!!! Thanks

pendragon

Thoughts

Post by pendragon » Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:04 am

Well I think I may have messed up the runes i made, is it important when making them to have the right proportions in the engravings? The book i am reading "The Runic Workbook" say if you do no have exact proportions they will have dire consequences. Also it says not to use a stain which i did, is this also bad? Please if anyone can help me? Should I get rid of these and start over? How do you dispose of Runes? Do I have to do a ritual burning or something? HELP! :smt010

Gem

Post by Gem » Mon Jun 09, 2008 1:02 pm

I think they look marvellous, try using them and see what happens. Sometimes books give the writer's way of doing things but that doesn't mean it is the only right way. :)

pendragon

Post by pendragon » Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:30 pm

thanks

iriseyes

Calling of the Runes

Post by iriseyes » Sun Jul 06, 2008 3:06 am

I have had so many sets of runes call to me at times it drives me crazy and I still do not have a set of them.  As they call to me there might be several sets and they all call so I end up leaving and getting nothing.  I did find a site where they have beautiful runes that I found in the last few days.  If we are aloud to post links Ill post on my next one.  They also have blank disks so you could actually put your own symbols on them.  

As of staining them I would only use oils specified to protect them as the staining is synthetic and is not natural.  I read that grape seed oil with your choice of herbs to consecrate them also you can use bees wax and linseed oil to protect them.

To hone them into your energies I always do this with my tools of choice.  Sit and meditate with them in your hand then after you are done put (them) in a bag and put them in your pillow case for three consecutive nights this allows your calm energies to feed into what ever tool you are sleeping with I also left them in my window undesturbed in a full moon light for a night.  After that I smoked them with a White Sage stick and put them away.  You have to do what ever works for you.  My spirit guide had me do these steps so anything I get I do this to them.

I want to make my own runes and will travel in the woods to find what ever wood calls to me.  I also want to get some stone ones.  

Blessed be,
Iriseyes
Blessed be,
Iriseyes
To thine own self be true!!

sumugan

Making Runes,Activating Runes?

Post by sumugan » Sat Aug 30, 2008 12:42 am

I would love any info on the best number of runes to make, and the type of wood. Does anyone have the ceremony that needs to be used to activate Runes?
Make the most out of this moment.

iriseyes

Re: Making Runes,Activating Runes?

Post by iriseyes » Sat Aug 30, 2008 1:22 am

sumugan wrote:I would love any info on the best number of runes to make, and the type of wood. Does anyone have the ceremony that needs to be used to activate Runes?
You would consecrate them as you would any tool?  Have you worked with tools?

BB
Iriseyes
Blessed be,
Iriseyes
To thine own self be true!!

Jayman

Re: Making Runes,Activating Runes?

Post by Jayman » Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:11 pm

iriseyes wrote:
You would consecrate them as you would any tool?  Have you worked with tools?

BB
Iriseyes

all I have read on Runes suggests that their power lay in the energy/spirit of the lands they came from.

The consecration begins when you ask the forest for a spare branch in which you can cut up to make Runes. Then you ask the forest/spirits/nature to bless your Runes as you construct them.
Once complete, you then ask again for wisdom and guidance in using them.

I have never been led to believe there is a specific ceremony required. Only your heartfelt requests for the Runes.

Jayman

Post by Jayman » Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:13 pm

EarlofLeicester wrote:
karpocrates wrote:Thank you. I am hoping that by creating them in this way, I will forge a stronger link with them.
Keeping the runes close to you so they can bond with you, according to experts, is a very praiseworthy activity.

I've heard this as well. Keep the Runes in a small sachet/pouch and keep the pouch in your pocket or tied to your belt.

I've never done this, nor have I been led to believe it is necessary but I can see where this would help you develop a bond with your Runes.

Stephys_cool

Post by Stephys_cool » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:06 pm

Erm sorry if I repete what others have said, I don't feel like reading them.
Lol but to be honest, have you seen the wood stakes that hole a door in place when building a room?
Like they are skinny then get thick?
I took 24 of those and sawed off the very ends. Sanded, painted, blessed and so forth.
i've had them for over a year and they are keeping me from buying or making any new ones because they are so attached to me.
like it's amazing how close I am to them and there is so much more love when you are able to buff them out yourself and create uhm and such (:
they loves me ^^
I'm too crazy to see

Return to “Runes”