Wood Runes

Know more about Runes, how to read them and interpret their true meanings.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123

MoonGoddess

Wood Runes

Post by MoonGoddess » Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:54 am

The Celts believed that Wood was the most sacred of all materials as it was next to Humans.  They believed that it contained all five elements the same as humans do.  Wood comes from a tree which is nurtured in Earth, need water to thrive, air to breath, has the ability to burst into flames and most important of all it contained spirit.  This is why they use it for their Ohgam runes (Tree Runes).  Will have to get back to you on what the Norse believed once I look it up.  If anyone can contribute to this, the more knowledge we gather the more powerful we become. :smt002
May the Goddess enlighten you all, Blessed Be!

EarlofLeicester

Post by EarlofLeicester » Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:07 pm

The Norse had a strong belief in the importance of trees as well. Yggdrasil is the huge (ash) world tree that connects the 9 realms of the known Norse universe.  Odin hung on this tree to receive the gift of the runes (he paid for it dearly). Two of the runes, Berkana and Eihwaz, means birch tree and yew tree respectively.  The ancient Norse were practitioners of a nature type religion, though it was not as well organized as Celtic druidry, and the trees were important to them. I suspect not as much as it was to the Celts, but that is just conjecture on my part.

MoonGoddess

Wood Runes

Post by MoonGoddess » Sat Feb 24, 2007 11:59 am

In ancient time as well as now, rune magic used wood extensively, for it contains the ond (.. over the o) which means vital qualities.  They also used bone which is meant to be also very powerful containing the same qualities as wood, probably frowned upon its use now though.

I once was working on a bush regeneration project on a river bank next to a cemetry and I stumble accross human remains.  They were of a child and had been buried for years, but before I realised what I was touching I got the buzz from it which probably made almost fall into the river upon noticing what it was.  Because the cemetry was quite old and the earth is always on the mover some of the old bones were being uncovered buy the errosion.  The police divers found heaps more in the river as well as old stone heads.  So I really get this Ond, thingy, and don't want to ever touch human bones again.

EarlofLeicester

Re: Wood Runes

Post by EarlofLeicester » Sat Feb 24, 2007 5:39 pm

MoonGoddess wrote:So I really get this Ond, thingy, and don't want to ever touch human bones again.
Yes, I was aware that bone was used, often animal, but that would be frowned upon, too.  (Recently I blogged about a famous Icelander and runic inscribed whalebone). I guess the key ingredient is life. Bone certainly qualifies as life, as does wood. Anyway, wood is as close as I want to get life in runes.  The wood works just fine for me, Odin and Freya be praised!
The fool who fancies he is full of wisdom while he sits by his hearth at home.
Quickly finds when questioned by others that he knows nothing at all.
- The Havamal, verse 26

MoonGoddess

Wood Runes

Post by MoonGoddess » Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:22 am

I have a drawing of one side of that whale bone somewhere, I will scan it and see if I can up load it.  The side I have is the picture of Odin son fighting a wolf.  The other side is suppose to dipict Odin on the tree of life itself.  Will have a look for it.

Definately Wood is as far as I go to get life into things, the only thing I would combine with it to make it more magical is colour.  As if you have seen Auras around people they are colourful so that must mean life is in colour also.  At the moment I am in the process of sewing a new bag for my wooden runes as I had a blow out and I don't want to loose any.  I am using Gold Chiffon and coloured thread: ie Black to absorb negativity, Red for magical purposes and protection, Blue for comunication and I think I will put in Green for creativity.  Not sure what other colours yet but I am embroyding Ansuz in blue and then in red.  If you can think of any other communication runes let me know.

EarlofLeicester

Post by EarlofLeicester » Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:10 am

That would be Egil's whalebone and I was not aware that an image existed of it.  That I would like to see. I suspect it is Tyr fighting the Fenris wolf.  Tyr is the Norse God of War, although he pretty much gets replaced by Thor as protector of the people.  Odin hanging on Yggdrasil speaks for itself.

Well, a new bag for the runes makes sense.  I keep mine in a wooden box.  Not as portable, but my pewter runes are in a black velevteen bag.  My clay-cermamic runes are in a cardboard box in the bookcase. But the wooden box I keep close by for easy access :)
- The Havamal, verse 26

MoonGoddess

Sorry not Whale bone but Horn

Post by MoonGoddess » Tue Feb 27, 2007 5:18 am

This was found in North America in 1952 by a milkman, Ronald Mason, near Winnetka, Illinois, near Chicago.  He found it protruding from the earth of a freshly-cut bank by the roadside.  One one side it bears a carving of a man pointing to the sun.  He is standing in Vegetation next to the World Ash Tree, Yggdrasil.  The other side dipics Vidar, Odin's Son, fighting the Fenris Wolf on the day of Ragnarsk, Teh Twilight of the Gods.  His magic boot is in the wolf's mouth, while he pulls at its upper jaw with his gloved hands.  The two winged panel with runes are read grunu; smidar; helgur; har; himin; skidi; breka; mundu; vidar; klifur; knar kiaftin; stridani; freka.  Translation Ground; Build; Holy; Hair; Heaven (new-born Sun); shine; billowing; fist; vidar; lift up; strength; jaw; struggle ; freka.  Analysed by Alf Monge who found the runemaster's name, Audin, and date, 15 December 1317 encoded there. (Rune Magic by Nigel Pennick)

I have been reading too much and getting things confused, sorry.  I wish I could find my other books, time to go shopping for more... any excuse for shopping...lol
Attachments
Vidar Killing Fenris Wolf.jpg
Vidar Killing Fenris Wolf.jpg (67.17 KiB) Viewed 2553 times

EarlofLeicester

Post by EarlofLeicester » Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:18 pm

I've been doing some research on my next blog topic, either the few and far between Norse artifacts in North America or the historical veracity of pre-Elder Futhark runes, both of which fascinate me.  I wasn't aware of this artifact, however, so thank you for sharing.  I find this fascinating, of course, but a good friend (hi Deb!) advised me that when the reading and thinking is too much, to take a break.  (Although you're not confused that I can see). Going shopping is probably a good break, indeed.  Thanks again for the great image!
- The Havamal, verse 26

Return to “Runes”