writing spells in runes tolkiene and norse runes

Know more about Runes, how to read them and interpret their true meanings.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123

Valinia

writing spells in runes tolkiene and norse runes

Post by Valinia » Wed May 09, 2007 3:49 am

I noticed that there are similarities between norse runes, and the tolkien script, I use for spell writing and daily journal. So it seemed very natural to transfer between the two  :) It still protects my spells and journals
I never had to protect my journals and other writings before. but my magical space was destroyed.
But my actual notice of this suprised me. moon Rune is different in a few characters But in most of them I found that I had norse runes! Did Tolkien copy the norse runes, then change a few symbols to create this efin alphabet?

MoonGoddess

Re: writing spells in runes tolkiene and norse runes

Post by MoonGoddess » Wed May 09, 2007 7:24 am

Valinia wrote:I noticed that there are similarities between norse runes, and the tolkien script, I use for spell writing and daily journal. So it seemed very natural to transfer between the two  :) It still protects my spells and journals
I never had to protect my journals and other writings before. but my magical space was destroyed.
But my actual notice of this suprised me. moon Rune is different in a few characters But in most of them I found that I had norse runes! Did Tolkien copy the norse runes, then change a few symbols to create this efin alphabet?
You will probably find that is because all runes originated from the Norse Elder Futhark, and as time has continued on different cultures have adapted them to their own purposes.  Runes were created thus, in the creative thought of change.

I too find that when I write in  runes that things happen dependant on which runes I use.  Indvidual rune by themselves are powerful enough but when you create bind runes they not only take on the purpose of each individual rune but also the combined purpose of them joined together.  Take for instance the Rune Elhaz and the rune Thurisaz each powerful defence protective runes by them selves but if you combine them they will over come any attack coming from anything physical or psychic.  The rune Thurisaz or Thorn is a bind rune all by itself it has not only Thurisaz but is a combination of Isa, reversed Kenaz.  Isa is the glue which keeps the power within the runes as well as it's purpose and Kenaz acts as a block, in a reading if you see these to runes together it would not bode well but as a bind rune as Thurisaz it creates a powerful defensive protection which not only can protect us from pyschic or pyshical attack give us the advantage of attacking back.

EarlofLeicester

Post by EarlofLeicester » Sat May 26, 2007 1:07 pm

Tolkien admitted to be inspired by the Futhark and Norse traditions in general for writing the tales of Middle Earth.  Some concepts he admitted borrowing from the Saga of the Volsungs, for example, and Rohan can easily be identified as Viking age Iceland.

Return to “Runes”