Starting off with Runes

Know more about Runes, how to read them and interpret their true meanings.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123

MoonGoddess

Starting off with Runes

Post by MoonGoddess » Sat Jul 28, 2007 11:18 am

When I started to learn the Runes this is what I did, besides reading books about runes.  The best way to get into runes is writing with them, and starting with the first 24 the Elder Futhark.  Get to know your first 24 in order, funny now I think of it I wrote them out like lines.

This is a good way of learning them off by heart, once you know them in order then you can concentrate on the next step.  Try getting your friends interested to so you can start writing letters to each other in runes.

I won't put any pictures in here it is up to you to find them as I believe there is enought literature on the net with pictures of runes on them.

Fehu F
Uraz U
Thurisaz Th
Ansuz A
Raidho R
Kenaz K, C
Gifu G
Wyn W, V

Hagal H
Nyd N
Isa I
Jera J
Eoh Z/Eo
Peorth P
Elhaz X
Sigel S
Tyr T
Beorc B
Ehwaz E
Manaz M
Lagu L
Ing Ng
Odal O
Dag D

MG
May the Goddess enlighten you all, Blessed Be!

deva

Post by deva » Sun Jul 29, 2007 12:37 pm

Hi, moongoddess. I did this too when I was starting to explore runes.  I even made a small wall hanging embroidered with runic characters spelling out various qualities I aspire to have like joy, health, etc.

We moved, though, and I have yet to locate my bag of runes and the book it came bundled with. Even then, I haven't forgotten the symbols because of that exercise.

ridaibhi

Post by ridaibhi » Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:14 am

I have a really bad memory. I am unable to remember the simplest of things. I think I may have to give your method a go. I have been studying and reading runes for a few years but still have problems remembering them all. Maybe this will help.

Thanks for the tip

Gem

Post by Gem » Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:53 am

ridaibhi wrote:I have a really bad memory. I am unable to remember the simplest of things. I think I may have to give your method a go. I have been studying and reading runes for a few years but still have problems remembering them all. Maybe this will help.

Thanks for the tip
I find it helps some people if they use rune cards. Each card has a picture on it that portrays the energy of the rune, and of course the rune itself, this helps to imprint the rune on the memory and before long you can work without the cards but with the runes alone and each one triggers the picture and hence the meaning. You can easily make your own 'cards' and use them rather than buying a set, and then the picture will have more power, meaning and worth to you. This method works best for those that are visually minded when it comes to learning :)

MoonGoddess

Post by MoonGoddess » Fri Aug 03, 2007 5:18 am

Rune cards are a good suggestion like flash cards, are good for boosting the memory.  You can even play memory games with them by making to sets of them, shuffle them and then place them in rows face down.  Choose a card and then try to find the next card just like the game matchup.

To start off with though just try to memorise the runes, do not worry about learning their meanings just yet, that will come later in the next step.

craftyfox

Not feeling so dumb now!

Post by craftyfox » Fri Aug 17, 2007 3:56 am

I am glad to hear that others have the same problems I've had.  I've been reading them for six years now and still need the book to remember them.  Gem's suggestion about the flashcards really struck home with me.  I used this method throughout college to learn difficult concepts and vocab.  I don't know why it never dawned on me to try it with this!  Thanks, Gem!!

EarlofLeicester

Post by EarlofLeicester » Sun Oct 07, 2007 11:33 am

Sometimes multimedia helps.  This video on You Tube conveys imagery to help get a feel for the runic meanings:

Click image to load video

I find the musical selection tranquil as well.

MoonGoddess

Post by MoonGoddess » Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:15 am

Wow Earl I am in awe of that video, fantastic 10 out of ten.  Very Good find...mmm sound like I am gushing sorry, but it is very good I am going to save it to my favourites and might use it later on down the track if you don't mind.

EarlofLeicester

Post by EarlofLeicester » Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:28 am

Gushing is fine, I loved that video when I found it.  Still do love it.  Puts me in such a tranquil state I almost nod off, lol.
The fool who fancies he is full of wisdom while he sits by his hearth at home.
Quickly finds when questioned by others that he knows nothing at all.
- The Havamal, verse 26

MoonGoddess

Post by MoonGoddess » Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:57 pm

Did you see Egil's Saga by Faun? She is singing I asume in some Scandinavian language and the video is very haunting.  The link is after the one on runes.  I could have spent all day looking a the great stuff they are putting out.

EarlofLeicester

Post by EarlofLeicester » Mon Oct 08, 2007 4:46 pm

Did not see that one.  LOVE Egil's Saga!  Have to check it out,  Thanks!
- The Havamal, verse 26

udit_r

getting started with runes

Post by udit_r » Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:21 am

Hi, i have started with the runes . I have made two sets of runes with green and blue stones ie i have marked themwith white paints do you think it would be equally helpful or should i buy the pack.
dollie

MoonGoddess

Re: getting started with runes

Post by MoonGoddess » Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:06 pm

udit_r wrote:Hi, i have started with the runes . I have made two sets of runes with green and blue stones ie i have marked themwith white paints do you think it would be equally helpful or should i buy the pack.
Making your own runes is far better the shop bought products as you have put your energy into them.  Once you know each rune individually, you will be able to empower them more by thinking and saying their names out loud and their purpose.  Go back to the first topic in this thread and get yourself a piece of paper and pencil.  As you have made your own runes you should know how to write them, writing in them is the best way of memorising them.  Do you have a book that goes more in depth about the meanings of runes?  I find that books are the best source as you can alway check their bibliographies to see where they have got their info from.  Some times web sites don't name there sources so you don't know if they have put what they think is correct and what really is.
Once you have found a book that you can understand.

Carry a rune in your pocket each day and think upon the meaning of that rune as well as visualising it in your head.  If you have any questions about meanings you know where to find me and I will elaborate.

MG

EarlofLeicester

Post by EarlofLeicester » Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:25 pm

Everything MoonGoddess says is correct but I want to add that while creating your own runes is best, it doesn't have to be an either-or choice.  If you want to get started with the runes but assembling your own would take time (and if you have the spare money), buy a set now to get started and at the same time work on making a nice set, too.
- The Havamal, verse 26

tarottart

re youtube

Post by tarottart » Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:42 am

Oh Earl just watched the video, have added it to favourites, that is so beautiful,  and a great way to practice remembering all the names and symbols also, thanks  :smt006 for that.

Return to “Runes”