Buying Runes

Know more about Runes, how to read them and interpret their true meanings.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123

Lunarvisionwitch

buying runes

Post by Lunarvisionwitch » Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:11 am

I know, but elder futhark is divided in three aets of eight runes, and no myth, no saga, nothing in Norse mythology mentions blank rune. Runes are sacred, they are not just simple divanitory tool. But I know that customers are always "right", so do what you must do...
I am the son and the heir
Of the shyness that is criminally vulgar
I am the son and the heir of nothing in particular

iriseyes

Re: buying runes

Post by iriseyes » Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:19 am

Lunarvisionwitch wrote:I know, but elder futhark is divided in three aets of eight runes, and no myth, no saga, nothing in Norse mythology mentions blank rune. Runes are sacred, they are not just simple divanitory tool. But I know that customers are always "right", so do what you must do...
Ya, in business the customers are always right.  I am also waiting on my soap molds, one of them are runes.  By the way they are cute.  I wandered if I get another one of the molds and fill it with the clay if that would indent the symbols in them??

I just purchased a dremel (hope that is spelled correct) to carve the symbols in the wood and stone.  
:smt003
Iriseyes
Blessed be,
Iriseyes
To thine own self be true!!

Lunarvisionwitch

Post by Lunarvisionwitch » Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:30 am

Look, I live in Serbia, where there are no Occult shops (strange fact, if you know that Serbia is country with a rich magical tradition) - sad, isn't it :( ... Anyway, considering the circumstances, I've learnd to make everything on my own, which is not bad at all... I collect herbs, make my own spell bags, dolls...

iriseyes

Post by iriseyes » Thu Sep 25, 2008 2:15 am

Lunarvisionwitch wrote:Look, I live in Serbia, where there are no Occult shops (strange fact, if you know that Serbia is country with a rich magical tradition) - sad, isn't it :( ... Anyway, considering the circumstances, I've learnd to make everything on my own, which is not bad at all... I collect herbs, make my own spell bags, dolls...
I have made most of my tools that I use and my daughter actually made one of my cauldrons in an art class I feel if you make your own it does tune them into you more but some people are not very crafty.  I have been asked by several people to make them wands and other things after seeing mine.  I have also have orders for magic mirrors.

BB
Iriseyes
Blessed be,
Iriseyes

RoseRed

Post by RoseRed » Thu Sep 25, 2008 6:53 am

Here is a site that I really love, has everything that you could ever possibly want.
Here is a link to their rune section.
//mmm-gems.com/store/index.php?cPath=45_67

Hope it helps!
To Err, Human
To Forgive, Divine

Lunarvisionwitch

Post by Lunarvisionwitch » Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:18 am

iriseyes wrote:
Lunarvisionwitch wrote:Look, I live in Serbia, where there are no Occult shops (strange fact, if you know that Serbia is country with a rich magical tradition) - sad, isn't it :( ... Anyway, considering the circumstances, I've learnd to make everything on my own, which is not bad at all... I collect herbs, make my own spell bags, dolls...
I have made most of my tools that I use and my daughter actually made one of my cauldrons in an art class I feel if you make your own it does tune them into you more but some people are not very crafty.  I have been asked by several people to make them wands and other things after seeing mine.  I have also have orders for magic mirrors.

BB
Iriseyes
Yes, when you make your own tools, you give them a little part of your self, so they are always connected with you. Everyone is crafty enough to make their own wand, but yes, some there will be always something that you just can't get right (like me making my athame  :smt003)... or if someone is living in the middle of metropolis, he is certainly not bound to go in forests, looking for herbs - so Occult shops are kind of handy in those situations. I think of opening one myself in future... Hey tell me, which is the most handy material for making my pentacle?

iriseyes

Post by iriseyes » Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:19 am

RoseRed wrote:Here is a site that I really love, has everything that you could ever possibly want.
Here is a link to their rune section.
//mmm-gems.com/store/index.php?cPath=45_67

Hope it helps!
That is a pretty cool site.  I think the only runes on that site that I am not going to try to make are the bone ones.  

BB
Iriseyes
Blessed be,
Iriseyes

iriseyes

Post by iriseyes » Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:26 am

Lunarvisionwitch wrote:
iriseyes wrote:

BB
Iriseyes
Yes, when you make your own tools, you give them a little part of your self, so they are always connected with you. Everyone is crafty enough to make their own wand, but yes, some there will be always something that you just can't get right (like me making my athame  :smt003)... or if someone is living in the middle of metropolis, he is certainly not bound to go in forests, looking for herbs - so Occult shops are kind of handy in those situations. I think of opening one myself in future... Hey tell me, which is the most handy material for making my pentacle?
Some use the clay flower pot trays. I don't know if you have any of them in your country or not  but the water trays you put underneth them are perfect for making pentacles.  I do have a recipe for homemade clay if your interested.  

Cooked Clay Dough

1 cup flour
1/2 cup cornstarch
4 cups water
1 cup salt
3 or 4 pounds flour

Stir slowly and be patient with this recipe. Blend the flour and cornstarch with cold water. Add salt to the water and boil. Pour the boiling salt and water solution into the flour and cornstarch paste and cook over hot water until clear. Add the flour and coloring to the cooked solution and knead. After the clay has been in use, if too moist, add flour; if dry, add water. Keep in covered container. Wrap dough with damp cloth or towel. This dough has a very nice texture and is very popular with all age groups. May be kept 2 or 3 weeks.

Cornstarch Clay

1 cup cornstarch
2 cups salt
1 1/3 cups cold water

Put salt and 2/3 cup water in pan and bring to a boil. Mix cornstarch with 2/3 cup water and mix well. Blend 2 mixtures together and knead into clay. The dough has to be heated as it is combined to set. Makes about 3 cups. This clay can be air dried and then painted. Store unused clay in airtight container in the fridge.

No-Cook Clay Dough

3 cups flour
3 cups salt
3 tablespoons alum

Combine ingredients and slowly add water, a little at a time. Mix well with spoon. As mixture thickens, continue mixing with your hands until it has the feel of clay. If it feels too dry, add more water. If it is too sticky, add equal parts of flour and salt.

You can sculpt them and put them in an  oven on about 250F for an hour or so.  Just check them ever so often.  This is a great cheap way to do them.  I have some more things in my BOS let me dig them out for you.

Also you can take a circular slice of wood and carve out the pennacle or pentacle.  

BB
Iriseyes
Blessed be,
Iriseyes

Lunarvisionwitch

Post by Lunarvisionwitch » Thu Sep 25, 2008 2:09 pm

Yes, of course we have pot trays in our country hahaha :smt003 anyway, thanks for the recipe. I like your idea with the glass plate, in the matter of fact, I think I alread have something suitable like that...

killtherabbit

A place to purchase from

Post by killtherabbit » Sat Dec 20, 2008 4:15 am

House of Ravenwood in Yellow Springs, Ohio.
The Rabbit

zoey7879

Post by zoey7879 » Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:37 pm

After reading 8 pages of posts, I can't remember which one or two people mentioned it... But if you are going to buy already made runes, search about for something that "jumps" at you.. Something that feels comfortable, and as if it were a part of your own body. Commonly, runes are made from wooden branches, glass beads, sculpted clay, carved animal bone, or river pebbles. Perhaps you will find something that feels more appropriate to you. Maybe you'll even have to try out runes of various medias before you find one that you are most comfortable with. Personally, I prefer elder futhark runes, and I own two sets. Some other types of rune scripts are:  Younger futhark, Frisian futhark, fairy, and Ogham. Traditionally, Ogham runes are carved from wood. Experimentally, I tried making a couple of different sets from glass aquarium beads (I tried clear, light green, blue, and a "wine" colored) but none of them felt right. The markings were painted with a golden paint marker. These never felt quite right to me. However, what feels wrong to me may be just perfect to you.

My second set was a purchased set, gifted to me from my best friend and lover. That set, too, bears Elder futhark markings. The set is a mixture of large, light and dark river stones, painted with gold marker paint. I got them when I first began learning about runes. These work best to me, as they  are unpolished stones, smoothed over by water before I owned them. Water is my element. I feel that I have bonded with them. I raise power, cleanse, and ground power before and after each time that I use them, or each reading if I am going to do a few in the same sitting.

I hope that is of help to some of you.

Best wishes!

scarabcameo

runes, wands, tarot cards

Post by scarabcameo » Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:04 am

I make my own, from natural materials such as wood and acid-free paper. Ones I make myself I've dedicated to just using for my own personal readings.

Return to “Runes”