Rune of the Day epi 9

Know more about Runes, how to read them and interpret their true meanings.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123

Ravenmother

Rune of the Day epi 9

Post by Ravenmother » Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:17 pm

Sorry about the delay on this post and on the Weekly stone. I have been sick along side my son. We are now doing much better and I can now find more time to post.

Ur/Uruz

Original meaning: Wild Ox
Determination. Strength, virility and Health are well favored. Rapid recovery from illness.

Ur is the power of the extinct wild ox, the aurochs. The aurochs was one of the largest bovines to ever live, often standing 7 feet at the shoulder. As fierce and strong as the American buffalo, its horns spread out form its skull like a Texas longhorn and made it a deadly prey to hunt. Ancient Germans used to hunt the aurochs as a test of manhood in the woods and glades of Northern Europe. The horns were prized as drinking vessels, and the hides and meat provided warmth and food for the children of the tribe.

Ur symbolizes strength, fierceness, and individuality. It is the rune of determination and individuality, the strength needed to accomplish great things. It is the rune of raw physical might or spiritual strength. It's traits are valuable to a warrior, but they also have much in common with the outlaw. The word fr,cne used in the "Anglo-Saxon Rune Poem" is related to the Old Icelandic word Freki, the name of one of Woden's wolves. Wolves in the ancient lore were commonly associated with outlaws in general and seen to have many traits in common. This trait is further borne out by description of the aurochs as a "moor walker" in the "Anglo-Saxon Rune Poem."

Many feel Ur represents the cosmic bovine Audhumla and therefore represents the vitality of the life force or maeen. This ties in with the meaning that lies behind the "Anglo-Saxon Rune Poem" verse quite well, although more likely Ur represents the physical aspect of maeen called might.

In divination it usually represents strength will be called for or fierceness and the courage to use these qualities. In magic it can be used to bring about strength and physical health.

Return to “Runes”