how to write proper runes?

Know more about Runes, how to read them and interpret their true meanings.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123

mifan2013

how to write proper runes?

Post by mifan2013 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:21 pm

I want to try writing some runes on object that would be helpful, such as "protection from evil"

looking around i know to use phonetic sound and icelandic. so i tried google translation and checked around, but i'm still not exactly clear as how to write this correctly. close as i can understand is that it should sound like:

verndun fra illu

wunjo, eihwaz, raidho, nauthiz, dagaz, uruz, nauthiz  fehu, raidho, ansuz  isa, laguz, laguz, uruz

but i'm not sure if by pronounciation there should be 2 laguz or 1 laguz.

when writing runes, does it have to be icelandic? or what better way to put meaning in the object being engraved or written upon?

Cascade of Light

Post by Cascade of Light » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:34 am

Are you trying to write a protection amulet or are you trying to use the power of each rune? Icelandic? i use the Elder Futhark that you may think is sort of Icelandic but is more Anglo Saxon?  if you searched protective runes you will get a thousand ideas, each protective symbol depends on what you want to protect, why and how :)

Cassie x
A cascade of light shone down on me, then the angels spoke, and set me free,
Cas x

mifan2013

Post by mifan2013 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:44 pm

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image    Image Image Image     Image Image Image
"verndun fra illu" the translation for "protection from evil" according to google translator.

Ok, i think it would look like that. I'm not sure if this is how to do it.

I know each rune has it's meaning, but put together by phonetic sound to form words but i don't know how it can affect the meaning. I was thinking of putting this on an everyday carry object, one because runes would look cool and different but also i am interested to know how runes work and if they can really do something to protect or not.  For example, certain stones can protect people wearing or holding them. for example a crystal a lady was wearing shattered when she fell down the stairs, however she herself was uninjured. or some stones can help to heal people. If runes can also do something similar, that would be awesome to know too.

In case they do something, then I'd rather be more certain that it will do what is intended, which is protection from evil, not the opposite.

Anyway, I was thinking something that would help me to avoid unnecessary evils, but also some runes that have effects that are easily noticed would be good too. what do you suggest?

...so how would one make an amulet, and does an amulet need to be something worn like a pendant, or can it be another object carried or worn? like a watch or a pocket knife?

Cascade of Light

Post by Cascade of Light » Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:24 pm

To me a pocket knife would not make a good amulet as it's use could be seen as more attack or defence? Some wooden shafts are carved with runes though.  A watch would be good, and some people inscribe the strap with runes :)

There's a google rune translator! How fascinating, I will need to go look at that before I answer!!
A cascade of light shone down on me, then the angels spoke, and set me free,
Cas x

mifan2013

Post by mifan2013 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:59 pm

sorry i wasn't clear, google doesn't have a rune translator that i know of,
i translated the english phrase to icelandic, then used the sounds to find which corresponding rune.

Kaneay

Post by Kaneay » Sun May 23, 2010 6:39 am

Personally, I would find three runes that encompass what you want them to do for you and create your own compact and powerful rune for your uses. I find using three runes together makes the effect much more powerful than using a long string of runes that have the chance of possibly negating what you want them to do. It should take thought time, and energy to create a truely effective relic. I just have to discourage mearly translating. It wont give the same effect and might not do what you want it to... plus its not as personal.

Best wishes and good luck!

Return to “Runes”