Nine-Runes Cast

Know more about Runes, how to read them and interpret their true meanings.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123

Dj I.C.U.

Nine-Runes Cast

Post by Dj I.C.U. » Fri Apr 14, 2006 2:29 pm

"This method will give a detailed overview of a person's situation, providing insight into where they are in terms of their spiritual path, and clarifying the options and possible outcomes available to them. Nine is a magical number in Norse mythology. Pick nine runes at random from the pouch. Hold them between your hands for a moment, and focus on your question (if you have one). Then scatter the runes on the table, floor, or cloth if you have one. Read the runes which land face up first. These will relate to the current situation and the circumstances which led to it. How the runes are read is largely subjective, but in general, runes lying in the center are the most immediately relevant, while those lying around the edges are less important, or represent more general influences.

"Runes that are close together or even touching often compliment each other, or may even represent a single thing, while runes which fall on opposite sides of the pattern frequently represent opposing influences. Occasionally, a rune will land completely off the cloth or fall off the table. Some people consider such runes to be particularly significant, while others ignore them completely.

"Once you have looked at the runes which landed face up (and remembered which ones they are), turn over the rest of the runes without moving them from their positions. These represent outside or future influences, and will point to possible outcomes. It is up to you to decide what the various positions and patterns in a reading mean, but once you have come up with a few general rules, try to stick with them. As I have said before, consistency is very important. However, rune readings by their nature are very fluid, subjective things. Try not to impose too much order on your readings by inventing set meanings for every triangle, square and tetrahedron. Runes are like people - you never know how they will get along together until you introduce them. Look at the patterns and relationships that appear in each reading and see what interpretations make sense to you." from Runic Journey by Jennifer Smith.

Dj I.C.U.

Casting on the ground

Post by Dj I.C.U. » Fri Apr 14, 2006 2:30 pm

Rune-tines (such as twigs or popsicle sticks on which the rune symbols are inscribed) work best for casting on the ground. I use these simply by tossing all 24 onto the ground and read the runes which land upright, in the positions in which they land. Their relative positions give their relations. For example, if two upright runes are close or touching and lying nearly parallel, then the runes are related. If they cross, then they are in opposition. There are obviously many degrees of this, and you also have to consider groups of runes, and ones which are far away, and the general direction. This technique relies heavily on intuition, since it doesn't have a spread to lay the runes in, like tarot would use. Between 4 and 8 runes generally land upright, which is about right for most inquiries.

Owl of Minerva

Post by Owl of Minerva » Wed Jul 19, 2006 10:34 pm

DJ - wonderful articles, you write very well!

Of course the word "spell" (as in magick) comes from "spelling" a word out with the runes. There is an excellent book by Michael Howard (no, not that particular Michael Howard), "Understanding Runes" that is short and sweet but explains a system of pronunciation for the runes. Perhaps using that basis, literally "reading" the upright runes would provide a basis for intuitive divination, as Howard explains a system for spellcasting using runic transliterations of modern English. Since there are 25 runes and 26 letters of the alphabet, a system could be devised, although Howard advocates a method using a solar symbol to replace any missing letters.

I will have a go when I get my own set of runes currently on order from eBay. I know I ought to make my own, but I haven't had the time to go out and collect the materials for them :(.

Return to “Runes”