Martial Arts and chakras

Know your chakras, and learn more about chakra healing.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123

dhav

Martial Arts and chakras

Post by dhav » Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:34 am

While “Jyuuken” may not actually be a real form of martial arts, at least to my knowledge, it seems to be a very popular form of fictional fighting style heavily based upon kung-fu/Kenpo and the principles of Chi/Ki energy, which are directly linked to the ancient belief of Chakra.

In many cultures and in some martial arts, it is believed that your power comes from the release/flow of Chi/Ki energy from specific Chakra points in the body. To inhibit the flow of natural Chi/Ki energy in a person is believed to cause dire effects on the physical body, such as aches and pains, depression, or even disease, and paralysis. The opposite holds true if you constantly work to improve the flow of Chi/Ki energy. It is believed that regular practice of Chi/Ki flow sustainment, “can significantly increase the strength, intelligence, and vitality of the practitioner, as well as inuring him/her to all forms of diseases.”

While some claims of the power of Chakra Chi/Ki energy may seem a bit far fetched, many resemblances, in function and location, can be found between the multiple Chakra points, and the human body’s own endocrine system.

ImageImage

Chances are most of us already know what Yoga is, but some of us might not associate Chakras with Yoga. After all, most Yoga practitioners don’t necessarily wish to embark upon a lifetime journey of discovery and meditation, much like the Yoga practitioners of ancient times. Some claim that through Yoga, one is practicing/improving the flow of natural Chi/Ki energy in their body. Yoga is a form of mediation, controlled breathing, which has been proven to bring about many health benefits for everyone. Yoga is the perfect way to improve the flow of Chi/Ki energy for every day living. But what about for combat?

The great majority of martial arts schools and instructors will begin by teaching the students the fundamentals of their art, beginning with the most basic kicks, punches, and blocks. Soon, the student is ready and can begin learning the first “Kata”, forms, or pattern of that particular style. Many students will forever fail to understand the importance of these forms, and as such, will never accurately perform the techniques to the best of their ability.

The martial arts form, is a form of meditation in which the practitioner fends of many invisible enemies. During this meditative exercise, the body is put under large amounts of stress to maintain perfect balance and form, while effectively committing the techniques of that form to memory. Knowing a technique for combat is never good enough, one must constantly practice that same technique over and over in order for it to be truly committed to muscle memory. In a combat situation, one doesn’t have time to “think” about incoming strikes and “remember” how to block/deflect it. One must simply act on instinct, or rather, let your body take over using the techniques it already knows.

In time, the body grows perfectly accustomed to a particular stance and can effectively maintain its balance, and even shift the flow of power from the core into a single strike. This would be the basis of real Jyuuken, the body’s ability to effectively change the flow of Chi/Ki energy to enhance the offensive and defensive capabilities of a person’s techniques.

The most recent example of the Jyuuken martial arts style in media can be seen in the Japanese series called Jyuuken Sentai GekiRanger. In this series, several Kenpo students trained to use the Kenpo “Beast Fist” style known as Jyuuken, battle their rival school of Rin Jyuuken martial arts who are bent on creating havoc, and using their martial arts skills for personal gain. These Jyuuken users are able to focus their “Geki”, or “Fierce Chi” energy to increase their physical strength, and even manifest protective outer forms resembling the users personal sub-style of Jyuuken. Some, more advanced Jyuuken fighters are even capable of manifesting their Fierce Chi energy into large scale versions of their particular beast-fist sub-style, or even increase their physical size.

Only the most capable and righteous Jyuuken users are able to convert their Geki/Fierce Chi into KaGeki/Extremely Fierce Chi, done so by the extreme desire to protect the weak and uphold their own virtues. KaGeki is more potent, and allows for an amazing increase in strength, speed, and abilities otherwise unattainable.

Some people probably recognize Juken as one of the fighting styles of the popular anime & manga series “Naruto”. In this series, Juken is known as the “Gentle Fist” fighting style, and is meant to deliver 64 strikes onto opponents 8 Chakra gates, thus inhibiting the use of their Chakra energy, and even causing temporary paralysis. Special techniques in the series, called “Jutsu”, are powered up by the user’s Chakra energy; With the Chakra gates temporarily closed by a “Gentle Fist” attack known as “Eight Trigrams Sixty-Four Palms”, the opponent is rendered almost powerless.

So, the question remains to be answered…how does one fight using the fictional Jyuuken martial arts style? To me, the answer is simple. When one learns to fight by amplifying their strength using Chi/Ki energy, one is essentially using the principles of the Jyuuken fighting style. Sure, we might not be able to manifest colorful protective clothing, large scale representations of our animal spirits, or even multiple “shadow clones” of ourselves using Chi/Ki; but with proper training, one can receive a significant boost in strength, speed, and endurance from their Chi/Ki.

Prof. Akers

Post by Prof. Akers » Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:33 pm

Seeing as we are in my area of knowledge I suppose I'd better get in first.
I've had chi/ki strikes demonstrated on me and the most impressive one was an American - Rick Moneymaker (good name for a martial artist).
He pointed his index and middle finger at me and just stood there, I stood there and after about 2 minutes I felt like all my internal organs had been removed, brushed with a wire brush and stuffed back in upside down, could I have hit him whilst he doing it? I'd have hit him, gone home and had a shower before it became unbearable. But it did work.
The main problem from a technical viewpoint is it's all rubbish!
If you have time to pick a chakra point, build your forces and hit it them you are so good and fast that you don't need to do it.
I was at demo by a Major from the Spetznatz (Russian SAS) and he was impressive - big bear of a bloke and he went round demonstrating his chi strikes to the back of the neck.
No I didn't go down, yes it hurt for hours but like all this stuff if you are geared up for it then it's just pain and pain goes.
It's just for impressing the general public, don't run away with the idea it's some super martial art and the answer to muggers.
I could rabbit on about this for ever so I'll let someone else in now.
Some days you are the cart and other days the horse; either way you still get shafted.

"I thought you'd be bigger," (read it how you will).

dhav

Post by dhav » Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:58 pm

I find it cool.I was searching energy points how they see it in Martial Arts and got this article.I beleive martial arts got a great tool to channel the energy in our body and surrounding in the right way.

hey Prof while posting i thouigth you would give your point of view as it is your area of knowledge.Well it's cool what you had experienced during those encounters.You can rabbit on it as you got a vast knowledge about this.

dhav ;-)
OnLy*I*LoVe*U~~I am a sweet Lovely Girl

Gem

Post by Gem » Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:44 pm

I have only one thing to say here, and that is that anyone who uses the chi for fighting is wrong, as Prof says there are many easier ways to defeat an enemy, and of course.... I wouldn't even need to leave my warm cosy armchair if I really wanted to use this method....... But why try to hurt, when one can use the same force to heal?

Food for thought and my bet is with the Prof, even from over a thousand miles away :)

looking_glass

Post by looking_glass » Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:56 pm

.. and you wouldn't even need a finger ;)
awarenessoftheheart.com

dhav

Post by dhav » Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:28 am

lol LG.

Yea I agree Gem they misuse that learned technique of chanelling chi energy.Well now it comes like that.If one encounter such an attack you got no other option other than counteracting that.It's same as psychic attack.The intention behind directing the energy which matters whichever technique we use.

Prof. Akers

Post by Prof. Akers » Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:32 pm

One of the more interesting ways we use it is a chi slap!
I do it 2 fingers on the forearm and if you do it in the 1/2 light - you get lots of lovely sparks - way cool (how old am I?)
Some days you are the cart and other days the horse; either way you still get shafted.

dhav

Post by dhav » Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:21 pm

Lol Prof.

I would like to do Martial Arts.I am going crazy.

Prof. Akers

Post by Prof. Akers » Sat Jun 07, 2008 2:30 pm

I was doing some work last night with one of my students and I grabbed the chi and pulled her on her bum - great fun and boy was she shocked - the others had seen it before but it's very funny.

dhav

Post by dhav » Sat Jun 07, 2008 3:32 pm

Hey Prof. have you ever seen the Naruto series.I am sure you will like it.

Prof. Akers

Post by Prof. Akers » Sat Jun 07, 2008 6:13 pm

No we don't have it in GB (I think).
Why do they use chi?

dhav

Post by dhav » Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:54 pm

Yes they use the jutsu style mentioned in the last paragraphs of the article.They concentrate much on the chakra on the series and it's interesting to follow and their style of martial arts.well they are fictional but it's worthwhile to see.

kagedo

perhaps chakras are subtler than a hammer

Post by kagedo » Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:30 am

i'm an amateur when it comes to chakras and manipulating the energy in the body but i do understand martial arts and i've noticed that if i push energy out from my body in every direction as far as i can that not only do i stay aware in a bout but i also anticipate my opponent(s) more easily and more fully, not meaning to teach any of you but i haven't heard a suggestion like that

Lotus1

Post by Lotus1 » Fri May 06, 2011 4:14 am

Kudos on this post!

Ive practiced Capoeira (brazilian Martial art & no its not like dancing) lol   and in it we use the same breathing technique that is used in yoga, because it helps us to be able to hold down different takedowns and defense  techniques.  The most fundamental movement in capoeira is called the ginga, from the ginga all movements are formed. Your whole focus and energy goes to the center of your stomach. Now it makes sense to me as to why we have to do that.  In capoeira we are taught how to block people from entering your focus zone. because when you are in the roda(circle) the only person that matters is your opponent.  I guess that is what you guys call it 'blocking' psychic attacks? I'm not sure if I'm right or not.  I have to go back to training soon, its been too long. ^_^

Return to “Chakra”