What is this tingling sensation?

Know your chakras, and learn more about chakra healing.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123

reix

What is this tingling sensation?

Post by reix » Tue May 01, 2012 12:45 am

I can't say I'm a believer in chakra and all that, but I was pointed here when I did a google search trying to find an answer. I thought I'd give you all a chance to maybe convince me otherwise.

I can make a tingling sensation spread throughout my entire body at will. Sometimes I can do it as long as I want, and sometimes I can only do it a certain amount of times before with each time decreasing in intensity.

The sensation always feels good. It relaxes my body and even relieves pain.

The ultimate point of all this, is what is it? No one has been able to give me a satisfactory answer.

peredhil31

Post by peredhil31 » Tue May 01, 2012 2:18 am

When the body relaxes, not only does the blood pressure decrease, producing a feeling of "lightness", but the relaxation of the muscles allows greater blood flow due to increased capillary size.  This results in a tingle from increased blood flow (think of a mild form of your hand waking up from "falling asleep").  One cause of pain is decreased blood flow to the injured or sore region.  The natural reaction to pain for the body to pull with opposing muscles, or flex a muscle, to immobilize the injury.  The alternative way is to relax into the pain, increasing blood flow and stimulating the fast nerve fiber system to produce more sensation than the slow fiber nerve system, which the RAS (reticular activating system, the filter at the top of the spine/base of the brain) interprets as sensation rather than pain.  Much like rubbing an owie "hurts good" because of the greater stimulation of the fast vs the slow systems.

To bring it back around, all nerves are useless unless interpreted by the brain.  The brain can "feel" things that are no longer there (phantom pain), or can imagine sensations, and being isolated, it cannot differ those sensations from actual nerve fiber stimulation.  
If you map out using electrode technology all the sensation translating areas of the brain, you'll find that it matches well to the chakra and acupuncture charts.  Stimulating one thing causes an electrical "overflow" into surrounding regions, which may be physically located in widely different areas of the body.

That's the underlying physiology behind the mystical talk.  I've always found the mind/body interface to be interesting.

Rohiniranjan

Re: What is this tingling sensation?

Post by Rohiniranjan » Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:41 pm

reix wrote:I can't say I'm a believer in chakra and all that, but I was pointed here when I did a google search trying to find an answer. I thought I'd give you all a chance to maybe convince me otherwise.

I can make a tingling sensation spread throughout my entire body at will. Sometimes I can do it as long as I want, and sometimes I can only do it a certain amount of times before with each time decreasing in intensity.

The sensation always feels good. It relaxes my body and even relieves pain.

The ultimate point of all this, is what is it? No one has been able to give me a satisfactory answer.

Imgination and active visualization (can it ever be entirely passive...?) are very powerful tools of the human mind!

That said, the tingling and sometimes a fine high-frequency buzzing, felt by many have been associated with the flowing of CHI or KI (pranic energy). Often associated with a feeling of pleasant cold-ness, physically. Some have associated it with the flow of lymph in the body. Particularly after light almost passive exercise (probably the principle behind the chi-machines and vitalizers) that sway the whole body by simply shaking your ankles. Very interesting gadgets, by the way :-)

It is meant to mimic the swaying motions of a fish, leisurely swimming in its habitat. Which, allegedly, was the inspiration behind the contraption. As is wont to happen in the commercial world, there have been many such devices produced by different manufacturers, breaking different price-points...!

Each claims their machine to be more superior or more authentic and so on, so caveat emptor! Do your research thoroughly before forking over your hard-earned energy (money!) in exchange for these machines!

Love and Light,

Rohiniranjan
Rohiniranjan
========
JYO-LOGUE

Return to “Chakra”