aromatherapy as insecticide?

Get quality information on the healing powers of essential oils, the properties of each scent, and their uses in the bath, massage, and more.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123

ianvillacrusis

aromatherapy as insecticide?

Post by ianvillacrusis » Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:38 am

are there other arometharapy oils aside from citronella for mosquitos that is effective to repel other insects? i live in a trpoical country, and aside from relaxation i would also like to get rid of insects, :-)

justinray111

Post by justinray111 » Sat Nov 17, 2007 7:50 am

The oil of the Maluka plant is really good, Marigold oil is a good substitute too
I am very interested and involved in human nutrition and educating people in this regard.

Gem

Post by Gem » Thu Dec 06, 2007 1:05 pm

Eucalyptus is good, cedarwood too, depends on the carrier though, cold tea is good and eating garlic, onions and marmite too :)

justinray111

Post by justinray111 » Thu Dec 06, 2007 4:54 pm

As a repellent Eucalyptus Citrodora is really good too.
I am very interested and involved in human nutrition and educating people in this regard.

Minyassa

Post by Minyassa » Thu Dec 13, 2007 7:14 am

Pennyroyal (Mentha pulegium) is also a good insect repellant, commonly used to repel fleas and ticks from pet bedding and such.  You can try it on mosquitos.  It has a spearmint-ish scent.  Make sure not to get it in your mouth and keep it away from pregnant women, it's an abortifascient.
Life is short and we have never too much time for gladdening the hearts of those who are travelling the dark journey with us. Oh be swift to love, make haste to be kind.
    -Henri-Frederic Amiel

healthmember

Post by healthmember » Fri Dec 14, 2007 2:49 pm

ianvillacrusis
Yes fortunitly we have so many essential oleums to use for keeping insects
away and also for treatment of insect bites. The fallowing are a few more oils
that can used to keep insects away and treat insect bites.
*Lavander
*Eucalyptus
*Chamomile
*Peppermint
*Thyme
Hope this is helpful goodluck

Healthmember
[/list][/list]

brylletc

Post by brylletc » Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:34 pm

On this post I've found at the San Francisco Bath Salt Company Blog http://www.sfbsc.com/bath-salt-blog/vie ... -lavender-
It is stated that lavender oils are also known for their ability to repel insects including mosquitoes. You can probably experiment with products that contain lavender oil, or why not use pure lavender oil instead.
Where to find bath salts and dead sea salts?
http://www.sfbsc.com/bath-salt
http://www.sfbsc.com/bulk-dead-sea-salt

Kerriwg

Insect Repellant

Post by Kerriwg » Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:32 am

Citronella is about the best, but I would make a blend of citronella and some other essential oils but citronella is good on it's own for mosquitos. You might add it to a carrier oil to use after a bath/shower. Penny Royal oil is great for keeping flies away. I live in Florida, Citronella, Cedar, Lemongrass, Eucalyptus are all good. I burn Citronella on my patio (since I have a lot of water around)...also, try to avoid perfumes, hairsprays, most of it attracts mosquitos....especially Jean Nate....I learned years ago....I had so many mosquito bites...I couldn't believe it. Just a body splash, it was worse than wearing the perfumes I usually wear. Make a perfume that incorporates EOs that repel the insects you wish to avoid.
KWG

postalsusie

teatree oil

Post by postalsusie » Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:26 am

not so nice to smell but soaked in bath salt, put in little bags, and hung in the yard keeps BEES away.
They have actually started selling these I think they call em BEE_GONE.
I did this , this year and no bees around my patio area.
(Bees here are as big as your thumb- we call em B-52's)

havent seen many skeeters... but I think Teatree is supposed to work for them too.

Return to “Aromatherapy”