Candles and Aromatherapy

Get quality information on the healing powers of essential oils, the properties of each scent, and their uses in the bath, massage, and more.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123

Devil's Storm

Candles and Aromatherapy

Post by Devil's Storm » Thu Dec 21, 2006 4:33 am

When using candles as aromtherapy, does it change the chemistry of the oil when using it? Is it weaker or stronger through candles?

Saldaba6

Post by Saldaba6 » Fri Dec 22, 2006 11:44 am

Sorry, how do you mean using candles as aromatherapy? Are you buying aromatherapy candles and using those or are you annointing candles with pure essential oils?
Breathe in the air, don't be afraid to care...... Look around, choose your own ground. - Pink Floyd

Saldaba6

Post by Saldaba6 » Fri Dec 22, 2006 12:04 pm

If one is buying aromatherapy candles and using them, yes the scent is wonderful, however the candles are not scented with pure essential oils. It is difficult to make pure essential oil candles, as pure essential oils are highly volatile and evaporate quickly when exposed to heat and light. The essential oil evaporates long before the candle can cool leaving very little or no scent.(It would therefore have no healing properties).  What is used instead are candle oils, synthetics that are produced to smell as closely to the real thing as humanly possible.. note the word "humanly" . If one wants to annoint a candle with pure essential oils, this can be done easily. Just add a couple of drops on the palm of your hand and rub it on the outside of the candle.  I normally recommend using an aromatherapy burner instead. Adding a few drops of essential oil to  approximately 75ml of water and using a tea light underneath. This does not change the chemistry of the essential oil at all, and as the water warms, the essential oil evaporates along with the water.
Breathe in the air, don't be afraid to care...... Look around, choose your own ground. - Pink Floyd

maynard4

Post by maynard4 » Wed Dec 26, 2007 3:06 pm

I am new to this board.  Can you tell me please if this means that one cano really make an aromatherapy candle.  I want to do this in my candle makeing business.

Jey
God is Good

Saldaba6

Post by Saldaba6 » Sat Dec 29, 2007 3:25 am

Pure essential oils are very volatile. They evaporate quickly with heat. One can buy candle making oils that smell similar to pure essential oils but they are not true essentials. For instance, a candle bought in a store containing eucalyptus oil is used in stress relief candle, however pure eucalyptus essential oil would clear out one's nostrils. In my experience with working with pure essential oils, and trying to use the oils in making candles, I have had to use a lot of essential oil and although some of the scent( flavour) remains, the properties of the essential oil do not. The only way I know of that works when using essential oils for an aromatherapy candle is to rub the oil on the outside of the candle just before burning it. Aromatherapy candles use synthetic flavours, not pure essential oils, although they may smell similar.

Aromatic

Post by Aromatic » Wed Sep 10, 2008 5:34 am

You also have the chance of burning the pure essential oils which could cause bad smell na deffects. Pure essentials oils need to be handled with great caution. However, if you do want to make essential oils candels, you will need to dilute them tot he extent that they dont get ecaporated or burned off very fast due to the candle flame.

Hope it helps.
No adds in signatures!

Return to “Aromatherapy”