Why Tea tree oil is an effective topical antiseptic ?

Get quality information on the healing powers of essential oils, the properties of each scent, and their uses in the bath, massage, and more.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123

drbekhradi

Why Tea tree oil is an effective topical antiseptic ?

Post by drbekhradi » Wed Feb 14, 2007 8:56 am

Tea tree oil (Melaleuca alternifolia), a traditional herbal medicine originally used by the Aboriginal Australians to treat bruises, insect bites, and skin infections is an effective antiseptic. According to researchers at the Department of Research, Lombard, USA, the oil works by activating white blood cells, the body's first line of defence.

Rediscovered in the 1920s as a topical antiseptic, Tea Tree oil has been found to be more effective than the drug, Phenol, and is one of the most popular aromatherapy essential oils used by aromatherapists and sold over the counter in the UK.

Although previous studies have demonstrated that Tea Tree oil has antiseptic and antibacterial qualities, until now, the effects of Tea Tree oil on human white blood cells have never been fully investigated.

Using crude oil and the purified "active" component, the researchers carried out specific tests on human white blood cells monitoring changes in the cellular patterns and activity.

The results showed that the Tea Tree oil caused an increase in the activation of white blood cells in the blood serum. The report concluded that one reason why Tea Tree oil appears to be such an effective topical antiseptic is the beneficial effect it exerts activating white blood cells.

Source : Biological activity of Melaleuca alternifola (Tea Tree) oil component, terpinen-4-ol, in human myelocytic cell line HL-60.
Budhiraja SS; Cullum ME; Sioutis SS; Evangelista L; Habanova ST
J Manipulative Physiol Ther, 22:447-53, 1999 Sep

Gem

Post by Gem » Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:23 pm

Thought it might be interesting to add this from the UK Press...

Using tea tree oil can increase MRSA risk

Daily Telegraph Newspaper: Last Updated: 2:04am GMT 16/02/2007

A common ingredient in many beauty products can increase the user's chances of suffering from "superbug" infections including MRSA, it was warned today.

Scientists have discovered that repeated exposure to low doses of tea tree oil could endanger people.

The experts from the University of Ulster revealed exposure to low doses of the oil made pathogens such as MRSA, E.coli and salmonella more resistant to antibiotics, and capable of causing more serious infections.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jh ... mrsa16.xml

Vlinder

Post by Vlinder » Wed May 23, 2007 8:23 pm

Thanks for posting this Gem, worth checking out! Tea tree oil is one of the few oils that can be used undiluted on the skin. I always have it on-hand, use it as an antiseptic, particularly for mosquito bites (we have lots of mosquitos here in the summer). I also use it to freshen my dog up with, I put a couple of drops in a bucket of water and rinse her off with it, or just one drop on a face cloth and rub over her coat.
When we change the way we look at things the things we look at change.

motherearth49

Tea Tree oil

Post by motherearth49 » Sun Jun 17, 2007 1:37 pm

I believeThat tea tree oil( Melaleuca alternifolia)is a very powerful antibacterial antifungis essential oil.But with all prouducts(natural or not) they should be used with caution.None of my personnal products have Tea Tree in them unless I put it in.So it's alittle safer..Just remember more is not always a good thing...
In Love and Light
MotherEarth

soul2ebl

Post by soul2ebl » Mon Oct 22, 2007 6:43 pm

does it cause acne when applied to the face

motherearth49

Tea Tree

Post by motherearth49 » Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:06 pm

No,,Mix it 1 drop of Tea Tree to a teaspoon of aloe vera apply to spots on  face..Do not smear it all over just the spots...If you get a rash etc. quit using as you would anything.
Rare Earth

Vlinder

Post by Vlinder » Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:28 pm

does it cause acne when applied to the face
I shouldn't think so, but I don't imagine it would help acne either.

motherearth49

Post by motherearth49 » Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:03 pm

It does help acne!!!!!!!...It helps heal the skin around it also.That is why it is important to consult an expert!!!!If it appied right it will cure alot of things.
Rare Earth

Vlinder

Post by Vlinder » Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:31 pm

Well I stand corrected - I live and learn!

newatthis

Tea Tree Oil Used for Toenail Fungus

Post by newatthis » Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:07 pm

When I found I had toenail fungus under one toenail I used Tea Tree Oil and it worked much faster than the perscription drug.  I used undiluted directly on and under everyday for approx. 3 months.  I have been told by others that the prescription takes at least 1 year.

justinray111

Post by justinray111 » Sat Nov 17, 2007 5:28 am

As with many essential oils, they have exceptional antiseptic antifungal and antiviral properties. In fact the oil of Origanum is 28 times more powerful an antiseptic than phenol. Phenol is the strongest man made antiseptic. As far as antiviral (like the eucalyptus oils) there is nothing that man has made that is antiviral.

Researches may not be able to tell how it works yet. It does not work on the human body but upon the bacteria.
I am very interested and involved in human nutrition and educating people in this regard.

Return to “Aromatherapy”