lavender in aromatherapy for elderly patients

Get quality information on the healing powers of essential oils, the properties of each scent, and their uses in the bath, massage, and more.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123

drbekhradi

lavender in aromatherapy for elderly patients

Post by drbekhradi » Wed Feb 14, 2007 9:14 am

Researchers at Oldham Cottage hospital recently investigated the potential of essential oil of lavender to aid rest and relaxation and thereby encourage the healing process in elderly patients.The patients were monitored for seven days during which time their sleep patterns, dozing and alertness during the day were recorded. The following seven days one drop of Lavender augustfolia was put on each patient’s pillow at night. No other changes were made to the patients’ daily routine or medications that they were receiving.

At the end of the seven days, all of the patients’ records were collated and analysed. Interestingly, all of the patients reacted favourably to the treatment; the researchers observed increased daytime alertness, improved sleep patterns and those patients who had previously experienced confusion were observed to display as much as a 50 per cent decrease in their symptoms.

source:Hudson R. The value of lavender for rest and activity in the elderly patient. Complementary Therapies in Medicine. 1996: 4; 52-57.

tengypsies

Lavender

Post by tengypsies » Fri Jun 01, 2007 4:30 pm

Thanks for the tip.  I have an anxiety disorder and receive medication.  I think I'll use lavender oil to help me sleep better at night.  Really appreciate the tip.

Brightest Blessings,

Gypsy :smt004
Merry Meet!  Blessed Be!  Namaste!

Dreams & Reality

Lavender

Post by Dreams & Reality » Fri Jun 01, 2007 4:55 pm

I was told that lavender puts up arterial tension ...

Dreams & Reality
Best wishes to all
From Dreams & Reality

Evie

Post by Evie » Fri Jun 01, 2007 5:10 pm

I think that Aromatherapy is awesome....

Lavendar Oil is one of the best Essential oils. It is my favorite.
Good thing is that it is not expensive at all. I use this one a lot.
Not only is it calming for mind of the elderly, and those with anxiety
... it superb for using with children. It is safe in it's concentrated form.
I use it straight out of the bottle on my forehead and brow to get rid
of headaches and it works faster than an aspirin!  

A couple of drops on bug bites, stops the itch imediately and also
acts as a repellent.  Burns heal quickly and without scarring with the
help of Lavendar Oil. It truly is a wonder.... how many things lavendar
is helpful for.

P E A C E
Evie

Vlinder

Post by Vlinder » Fri Jun 08, 2007 10:15 pm

Lavender is one of the few oils that can be used directly on the skin. If you feel a migraine headache coming on massage a drop of lavender oil on both temples, it can be quite effective. Lavender can be combined with almost any other essential oil, it raises the potential of other oils. Be careful not to use too much though as it can be "heady".
When we change the way we look at things the things we look at change.

amcresume

lavender works

Post by amcresume » Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:22 pm

I love lavender scent and use it quite frequently, probably even overuse it, to help sleep.  Since I'm a stay at home writer, I've found using cleaners with a lavender scent helps keep my mind active, but not cluttered.  I'm not sure who said it, but I so agree with lavender oil aiding in relieving headaches.  Yep, it's by far my favorite aroma therapies
Anne-Marie Carroll
A world complete with romantic suspense and sassy, sensual romance.

weezerwall

Post by weezerwall » Fri Sep 14, 2007 12:29 am

I love lavender as well!  The little bottle was true first aid at a time in life when I suffered from panic/anxiety attacks.  A dab on my temples, pulse points on my wrists and my inner peace was soon restored.   :)

Warmest,
Weezer

refresh

Post by refresh » Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:31 pm

Lavendar and camomile together are really nice if you are bad at getting to sleep - they seem to work synergistically. I've found that I'm more relaxed at night when I either burn some in an oil burner, or have a few drops on my pillow.

Emma
x

Return to “Aromatherapy”