Does this qualify as aromatherapy?

Get quality information on the healing powers of essential oils, the properties of each scent, and their uses in the bath, massage, and more.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123

EarlofLeicester

Does this qualify as aromatherapy?

Post by EarlofLeicester » Sun Feb 25, 2007 9:26 pm

I was cooking pancakes the other day and put some maple syrup in the mix and the place smelled like maple syrup for 3 days.  I thought the smell was wonderful, almost joyous. Is this an application of aromatherapy and does maple signify anything?

Nicole

Post by Nicole » Sun Feb 25, 2007 9:38 pm

Odd... No really.. My pc room smelled like that for months...

I don't sell it anymore...
But did for the longest time..
Just strange you posted this and I use to sell it..

The both of us, I swear Earl.... rofl

EarlofLeicester

Post by EarlofLeicester » Sun Feb 25, 2007 10:26 pm

Actually, for what it's worth, I deliberately made the Wunjo (runic for joy) symbol in the pancakes with the syrup.  Maybe it was aromatherapy, maybe it was rune magic, either way I know I liked the result.  (Pancakes tasted good, too).  Have always loved maple.
The fool who fancies he is full of wisdom while he sits by his hearth at home.
Quickly finds when questioned by others that he knows nothing at all.
- The Havamal, verse 26

suzisco

Post by suzisco » Sun Feb 25, 2007 10:56 pm

I love maple syrup, I get my relatives to send me proper canadian maple syrup over to scotland every year so i have a fresh supply.  It makes me happy when i smell it and reminds me of my relatives who i am very fond of.

I know nothing about aromatherapy cept we use it in psychiatry, lavander etc.

EarlofLeicester

Post by EarlofLeicester » Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:19 pm

Vermont maple syrup is also very good.  Best in the USA at any rate.  Suzi, how do you use aromatherapy in psychiatry?
- The Havamal, verse 26

suzisco

Post by suzisco » Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:38 am

We use oil burners in care of the elderly wards, we use a number of oils that promote calm and restfulness as some of our clients can be very distressed and on occaision pretty aggressive.  As nurses we all use tea tree oil products because its the most effective way of killing mrsa and the various superbugs that patrol hospital words.  We also use tee tree and manuka oil products on our clients skin which has significantly reduced bed sores and skin break outs.

the other way we use oils is I am a certified masseuse and I use a little drop essential oil in almond oil when i massage the patients hands.  If their cirulation isn't good and they have cold hands I use a little juniper, or if they have the cold i will use sage.  Its fantastic way to calm down a client who is upset without resorting to medication and Its a great therapeutic one to one session.

EarlofLeicester

Post by EarlofLeicester » Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:46 pm

Very impressive.
- The Havamal, verse 26

swetha
Site Admin

Post by swetha » Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:47 am

thats real cool.. and i have had maple syrup till date:)
i wud say aromatherphy is smell of any kind that has a pleasant and postive effect on u:)

katsuneko

Post by katsuneko » Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:40 am

Mmmm... pancakes.

I don't see how this couldn't be a type of aromatherapy.

Feeling happy is enough to help anyone's health, both mentally and physically. Since the smell made you joyous, I don't see how it couldn't be.
: D

LibB

Re: Does this qualify as aromatherapy?

Post by LibB » Sat Mar 31, 2007 12:36 am

EarlofLeicester wrote:I was cooking pancakes the other day and put some maple syrup in the mix and the place smelled like maple syrup for 3 days.  I thought the smell was wonderful, almost joyous. Is this an application of aromatherapy and does maple signify anything?
Hi Earl!!!  In my opinion. Yes maple (syrup) is an aromatherapy. Anything that arouses your senses is.
Take toast for example. Is this aromatherapy? Well yes. Everyone I know including me who wake up in the morning smelling toast melt with delight and are immediately making some. Why because the smell has heightened their senses and activated love in there soul. Then your brain says lets eat!!! Then comes taste. With all of these things, you wake up happy with a good start to the day.

Anything with a pleasant aroma is aromatherapy. Remember true maple syrup comes from the Maple tree. Sap from the tree. I'm in Australia and they have found via aborigines the health benefits of Eucalyptus trees, Tee tree and many other forms of Flora.
Honey is an aromatherapy. Most honeys I do not personally like the smell or taste of due to the over sweetness and a flavour that could taste more heavenly to me.
I have since found Blue Gum Honey which I love. Blue gum is a Eucalypt. Other Eucalypt flavours are Yellow Box and Red gum.
My favourite I believe would be the chinese lantern plant used to make honey, as I'm always trying to get nectar from the flowers (only one or two drops per flower). I've done this since I was 3 or 4.
Why am I mentioning food? This is where most of our aromatherapy comes from. It has to smell good to be able to taste good and it has to agree with you personally in order to have the full therapeutic effect. Some aromatherapy agrees with one person but may not agree with another. Hence selling Maple syrup will be over aromatherapy and over stimulation and would be entirely different to having it on pancakes once in a while, once a week etc.

If you are already full with food, food smells becomes aromatherapy.

Summing up if your senses are heightened with Maple syrup use it. I am sure it would have therarutic uses. My guess is it would be warming in the winter. Maybe have a cooling efect in summer.

I'm going to get some now and try it in my oil burner with some water. Science in the making HA HA! Maybe I'll try a few drops in massage oil body cream etc. (I will test on small areas first)

Remember pine, birch, cedar.

I have just found some sites mentioning their products with maple so yes it is an aromatherapy.

I'm still going to experiment. thanks and good luck to you.
Take care when using with fire. I don't know what it does.

Libby.

Ps for you this smell is joyous. Write down your feelings in a journal for each time you use it with the date and summarise for the Seasons. maybe this will help you to figure out what effect it has.

Hope this helps
Libby

Evie

Post by Evie » Fri Apr 20, 2007 3:02 am

Hi

I am Canadian and I know exactly what you ALL mean about how lovely our Maple syrup
smells and tastes. I have a sister who lives in Australia, and she also loves the care pacs
with Maple syrup from Home. Yes, I think that enjoying the smell of Maple syrup is indeed
'aromatherapy.'  However, technically this is not an essential oil, which is the medium used
in aromatherapy and hydrotherapy. However, If the scent of a natural essence makes you
feel good... then it is beneficial ... consider it therapy for the mind. The smell of baking bread
also does this, or vanilla, cinnamon buns etc.

Mentally, aromatherapies work in many ways. Some positive and some negative,
depending on past associations. The close connection between Memories/aromas
was the first thing I learned about Scents. People like or dislike aromas for different
reasons. Fondly remembering your Grandma (who loved roses) whenever you smell
Roses is a strong indication you really liked her. And vise versa, if you couldn't stand
her.  On a positive note, Certain aromas can indeed have a calming effect on the mind,
Lavendar, Camomile, the citruses are at the top of this list. They can assist in relaxing
you to go to sleep. Some can even act as an aphrodisiac. (Rose, Ylang Ylang, sandalwood,
for example)

I don't normally like the smell of tea tree oil, but once when I had an infested toe >
I picked this essential  instead of many others... The interesting thing is I selected by
smell only, wanting my intuition or body to let me know which was best. ) I was very
surprised that I chose this one.  Hmmmm... when I needed it, I liked the smell of it.
At the other end of the spectrum is the teenage girl who died after eating a teaspoon
of peanut sauce. A guest, she politely took a bite... no one knew she was deathly allergic
to peanuts. Every since the family could remember this young girl couldn't stand the smell
the smell of them and avoided eating or even smelling peanuts.  Sorry about this sad bit

An interesting subject and one of my passions.... Thanks for the question Earl. Food for thought!

Evie

andrew2424

Post by andrew2424 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:05 pm

Dear EarlofLeicester

Aromatherapy is terms as the use of essential oils for the use of therapy. but loosely termed, if its the smell that triggers a reaction, such as happyness, then i guess it will be o.k to term it that way. Stricky speaking, it is not approprate term to be used by professional therapist.

cheers

Return to “Aromatherapy”