Is there a directory of scents and their various effects?

Get quality information on the healing powers of essential oils, the properties of each scent, and their uses in the bath, massage, and more.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123

katsuneko

Is there a directory of scents and their various effects?

Post by katsuneko » Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:20 am

Is there a directory of scents and their various effects (online or otherwise)?

My friend bought me some burning incense and I'm interested in what each scent does.

I know the Lily is supposed to be very romantic where the lavender is supposed to be very relaxing.

But what about the others?

Any help is appreciated!
: D

Gentlesorp

Scents

Post by Gentlesorp » Tue Mar 27, 2007 2:12 pm

There are many sites on the internet that list the benefits of each essential oil used in diffusers, and how they are likely to affect you.  You can even find blended recipes.  However, I do not know how incense ties into this.  It doesn't seem to be a stretch that incense would have the same aromatic effect, but how is incense made?  (Essential oils are extracted from herbs).
Any suggestions?
-Gentlescorp

Vlinder

Post by Vlinder » Wed May 23, 2007 8:03 pm

katsuneko - Essential oils fall into three basic categories: top notes - generally uplifting and stimulating; middle notes - used to help with most bodily functions and the body's metabolism; base notes - relaxing, sedative.  You can use a list as a guide-line, but you need to find out which ones are best for YOU! Just as with many other things what's good for one isn't necessarily good for another. For example, my sister and I both use essential oils in burners and whilst we like a lot of the same oils certain oils do affect us differently. For instance ylang ylang is an aphrosidiac and relaxing, this is the effect it has on me, yet my sister can't tolerate it, makes her irritable. Chamomile is a sedative and recommended as an aid to sleeping. When I wasn't sleeping well I used it in a burner in the bedroom but as opposed to helping me to sleep it kept me awake. I gave it to my sister to try and she did find it relaxing. The difference is in our auras and of course as well as liking or not liking the scent of an oil. (By the way, whilst I like the smell of fresh chamomile, I didn't like the smell of the essential oil as much.)
You must also be careful not to use too much oil otherwise it will have an adverse effect.

Gentlesorp - I use incense sticks as well and find they have much the same effect as aromatherapy. A good incense stick contains oils from exotic trees and very often also etheric oils. I mostly use incense sticks as a means for "smudging" or dispelling unpleasant smells after cooking. Usually the smell of the stick disperses shortly after its burned down (which is usually within half an hour depending on the size), whilst I'll have a burner on all evening with oil(s) in thus fragranting the room continually.

When buying aromatherapy oils make sure that they're the real thing, some are only part essential oil and made up with chemicals, and there are of course perfume oils that contain no natural properties at all.

I hope this has been of some help.

Vlinder
When we change the way we look at things the things we look at change.

andrew2424

Post by andrew2424 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:03 pm

hey katsuneko

There is a director on the scent of essential oils. They are however for mixing and blending and are not associated with its properties. You can however check out the properties of each essential oils, as listed on the product.

Ie : of the product name is lavender, check out lavender essential oils. You will however find the smell of the essential oil are very different from those your smell from the incenses. You will also find that some of the names as listed on the inscence products doesnt have a essentials. that sis very common.

cheers

aromaremedies

Post by aromaremedies » Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:39 pm

The library is a good place to start. Check out several different books to make sure the PROPERTIES of the essential oils are listed before you purchase a book at the book store, then you will have a good reference book on hand. One of my favorite books is AROMATHERAPY for vibrant health & beauty by Roberta Wilson. Lots of information, easy to read and understand. Hope this helps.

Ardanari

Post by Ardanari » Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:02 am

You can visit www.aromatherapy-69.com.
Hope this help.

Return to “Aromatherapy”