what is the best aroma for depression?

Get quality information on the healing powers of essential oils, the properties of each scent, and their uses in the bath, massage, and more.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123

SphinxsDancer

what is the best aroma for depression?

Post by SphinxsDancer » Sat Jun 23, 2007 11:26 pm

My mom has clinical depression and i was wondering if there was a aroma that would help her feel a bit better?

Gem

Post by Gem » Sun Jun 24, 2007 4:24 pm

Hi SphinxsDancer, welcome to Mystic Board :)

One of the best essential oils I find would be Ylang Ylang, it is very uplifting and a real boost to conifdence and relaxation. Orange, Sandalwood, Lavender or Vetivert also would be good, the best way to find out is for you to try and find a shop that has testers and see which she likes :)

Evie

Post by Evie » Sun Jun 24, 2007 4:47 pm

Hello  SphinxsDancer

I would recommend Clary sage.  If your Mom likes the smell... that is truly
the most important thing.  What works for one doesn't always work on another.

When I took my aromatherapy course we made blends with EO's.
One group had the giggles...which disrupted the class... they just couldn't stop.
Our instructor asked if they used Clary sage in their blend, they nodded yes
and the instructor... said she knew it. They were forgiven... ha ha.

Afterwards, everyone was sniffing Clary sage...

(((HUGS)))  to YOU and your MOM

P E A C E
Evie

Gem

Post by Gem » Sun Jun 24, 2007 5:11 pm

LOL @ Evie!

Never heard of that side effect of Clary Sage before lol, but it is great for nervous tension and stress related depression, so give it a try Sphinx and see what your mum thinks. Other things to try could be herbal essences, Bach flower essences and Australian Bush remedies, they all have different make-ups so see which works. One of the main ideas behind these remedies is that belief really helps, and the body does know what it needs.

SphinxsDancer

Post by SphinxsDancer » Mon Jun 25, 2007 1:17 am

cool thank you so much.. yes we do have a shop so ill take her there.

Minyassa

Post by Minyassa » Sun Dec 09, 2007 11:51 pm

In addition to other oils mentioned already, jasmine (Jasminum officinale) and basil (Ocimum basilicum) are also good for energizing the mind and lifting fatigue and depression.  Another one that has been personally effective for me has been geranium (Pelargonium graveolens--another is P. odorantissimum but have not tried that species).  The oil I tried was not as effective as simply getting a live scented geranium plant and occasionally stroking and sniffing a leaf as I pass it in the house.  It is relaxing and cheering, and you can also use the leaves to make candies, jellies, decorate cakes, add to a sweet salad, etc.
Life is short and we have never too much time for gladdening the hearts of those who are travelling the dark journey with us. Oh be swift to love, make haste to be kind.
    -Henri-Frederic Amiel

sophie03

Post by sophie03 » Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:21 pm

Thank you for the information, my mother also has depression issues, in and out of the hospital and is pumped up with meds, so i would love to try some of these with her, any good shops you might know of online? good prices, thanks

jld

Post by jld » Sat Jan 05, 2008 2:07 am

At a point I was depressed and would use hyssop...and then I'd say I was okay in my "hyssopian" society It really did seem to lift my mood at that time

luckytsa

Post by luckytsa » Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:14 am

Hello there..
Peppermint is very uplifting and great for energy. A word of caution on Clary sage is that if you use it to much, your dreams will become very strange and sleep may be altered.

fernando218

Depression

Post by fernando218 » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:43 am

:smt006  Hello, I've heard lavender is good for depressive people. I hope this helps.

Vlinder

Post by Vlinder » Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:35 pm

Quite a few oils have been mentioned that may help, another one is grapefruit, but it's a case of experimenting with oils what suits you. Sometimes a particular oil may have just the opposite effect, I can speak from experience. Chamomile for instance, I got to help me to sleep better and it actually kept me awake, rather than relaxing I found it to be stimulating.
Another suggestion for depression, though not aromatherapy is St. Johns Wort, but do check with your doctor before using this as though it's herbal it can't be used with certain medications.
When we change the way we look at things the things we look at change.

Saldaba6

Best Flavour for Depression

Post by Saldaba6 » Sun Mar 02, 2008 4:15 am

There are several essential oils that help uplift the spirit, The one I found that works the best is Bergamot. I would suggest that your mom may like drinking Earl Grey Tea which contains bergamot or use a few drops in an aromatherapy diffuser. Grapefruit is also good, however I find the flavour of grapefruit strong so add a drop of rosewood essential oil to it, tends to be calming as well as uplifting. There are several blends that can be made, using high, medium and base notes together to glean more of a positive effect. A very nice blend is bergamot (high note) clary sage (medium note) and neroli(base note). Three drops of bergamot, two of clary and one of neroli in a diffuser is very nice indeed. Hope this helps.  :)
Breathe in the air, don't be afraid to care...... Look around, choose your own ground. - Pink Floyd

andrew2424

Post by andrew2424 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:59 pm

Hey mate

For cases that are termed clinical, you chousl try a psy-medical doctor. However if you like to try some essential oil, you can try any citrus oils, such as lemon, bergamot, lemon. Neroli is a littel on the price side, but jasmine is one of, if not the best for depression cases.

hope this helps you, cheers

Ardanari

Post by Ardanari » Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:28 am

I use lavender oil when I feel depressed.
Hope this help

www.aromatherapy-69.com

princesspeach

Post by princesspeach » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:10 am

thanks for this! my friend has been depressed lately, will pass this information on and hope it helps :)

Return to “Aromatherapy”