Base oils? Which work best?

Get quality information on the healing powers of essential oils, the properties of each scent, and their uses in the bath, massage, and more.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123

scarlet raging storm

Base oils? Which work best?

Post by scarlet raging storm » Sun Nov 11, 2007 5:05 am

Hi I have a question about base oils. Which do you find work better in making a perfume or a mix for someone.
hugs
Chrissy
Blessed Be

sacredherbals

Post by sacredherbals » Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:21 pm

Sweet Almond oil is good to use. Also Fractionated Coconut oil is also good. Make sure when your making a perfume oil to use vitamin E oil as well, just about a tsp or two depending on how much your making. This acts as a natural preservative for the oils. Hope that helps!  :smt003

Gem

Post by Gem » Thu Dec 06, 2007 1:08 pm

For a perfume you would want the lightest possible carrier oil, and one that isnt sticky, thick, or smelly too so perhaps a light almond oil? or have you tried a body cream with a few drops in? That way you can smooth the smell over you :)

Minyassa

Post by Minyassa » Sun Dec 09, 2007 10:53 pm

I always use apricot kernel oil for oil-based perfumes, I've found that to absorb quickly and not distort the scent of the oils.  For perfumes where I am not worried about therapeutic value and just going for scent, I use Everclear. :)
Life is short and we have never too much time for gladdening the hearts of those who are travelling the dark journey with us. Oh be swift to love, make haste to be kind.
    -Henri-Frederic Amiel

maynard4

Post by maynard4 » Wed Dec 26, 2007 3:46 pm

I am new to the board.  Can one make perfumes using EOs? Can one make candles using EOs?

All the best,

Jey
God is Good

sacredherbals

Post by sacredherbals » Wed Dec 26, 2007 5:17 pm

Welcome! Yes you can us EO's to make perfume. You can use them in candles but you have to use alot and it can get quite expensive, also not all EO's work out nicely in candles. I know Lavender works nicely.

maynard4

Post by maynard4 » Wed Dec 26, 2007 7:17 pm

Thank much.  Do you have any candle methods or recipes?

Jey
God is Good

sacredherbals

Post by sacredherbals » Wed Dec 26, 2007 10:22 pm

Unfortunately I dont know how to make candles. Yet! I make organic skincare and bath stuff. I know a little about candle making but no recipes or anything.

maynard4

Post by maynard4 » Sat Dec 29, 2007 2:44 am

Thanks Much

Jey
God is Good

Solwynn

Post by Solwynn » Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:45 pm

My favourite base oil for massage is fractionated coconut oil. I just love the slip and it lasts so long that I can buy in bulk and not have to worry about it going rancid. For therapeutic skin care, I use jojoba oil on my clients because it most closely mimics the sebum that our skin already produces.
The mighty oak was once a tiny acorn that stood its ground.

Rohiniranjan

Post by Rohiniranjan » Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:17 am

[quote="Solwynn"]My favourite base oil for massage is fractionated coconut oil. I just love the slip and it lasts so long that I can buy in bulk and not have to worry about it going rancid. For therapeutic skin care, I use jojoba oil on my clients because it most closely mimics the sebum that our skin already produces.[/quote]

You really believe that we ALL produce the same sebum? Regardless of age and ethnicity (that including our food preferences of course -- a major determinant of different ethnicities if one thinks about it?
Rohiniranjan
========
JYO-LOGUE

Solwynn

Post by Solwynn » Fri May 23, 2008 1:47 am

No, I don't really believe that we all produce the same sebum, since yes, the basic formula that our body produces can be changed over time with age, geographic location, water and food intake, other internal biochemical oddities that are unique to each and every one of us, and a whole host of other factors that could play into the overall chemical composition of someone's acid mantle, but jojoba oil is a plant-based substance that is the closest overall. I don't have the equipment or the time to analyze the sebum of each and every one of my clients that walks through the door, and if I did, they wouldn't be able to afford the cost of a body massage or a facial.
The mighty oak was once a tiny acorn that stood its ground.

Sir Mullich Vn

Post by Sir Mullich Vn » Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:49 am

What is EO (an English abbreviation)? What salt do we need to make the oils more aromatic? Can you give me the chemical formula?

andrew2424

Post by andrew2424 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:24 pm

Dear Chrissy

There isnt any base/carrier oil that is suited/best for making perfume, perfume is made from base of alcohol and aromatic oils. If a base oil is prefered for making perfume oil, the selection of base oil is dependent upon the mix of aromatics. if it has a light note, then a light, non scented baee oil is usually prefered. If the aromatics are heavy in scent, then a heavy body base oil takes preferences to lighter oils.

hope this helps you, cheers

Return to “Aromatherapy”