Is there an oil to add prevention of head lice?

Get quality information on the healing powers of essential oils, the properties of each scent, and their uses in the bath, massage, and more.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123

Smiling From Within

Is there an oil to add prevention of head lice?

Post by Smiling From Within » Tue May 27, 2008 11:09 am

Hello,

My one year old is at nursey and touch wood hasn't had the pleasure of the small toothed nit combe yet.   Call it selfish but really I'm thinking that my hair (wild long and curly) doesnt want to have the pleasure of the nit combe.

So I was wondering if there was anything I could massage onto his scalp and maybe it would put them off making the intial jump to his head.

Smiling From Within xx

Azure

Post by Azure » Tue May 27, 2008 12:35 pm

You have to be very careful with anything that you use on a child so young. The smell of Eucalyptus is very good, but it may put off friends too lol! I would suggest a trip to thre chemist for aroma herbal/aromatic sprays that repel the critters instead and regular combing and plenty of conditioner too.

Prof. Akers

Post by Prof. Akers » Tue May 27, 2008 12:56 pm

Tea tree oil works but it is pongy.
Some days you are the cart and other days the horse; either way you still get shafted.

"I thought you'd be bigger," (read it how you will).

Smiling From Within

Post by Smiling From Within » Tue May 27, 2008 8:52 pm

Thank you, i'll check them out a consider about sending him in as a little stinkpot but headlice free! LOL

Smiling From Within x x

suzisco

Post by suzisco » Tue May 27, 2008 9:11 pm

I use a combination of tea tree, lavender and a little rosemary in a mild shampoo.  It works for my daughter.

Other thing i use is vosene shampoo, don't think the nits like the smell of it.

Suzi
Enjoy when you can and endure when you must.
Everydays Predictions - Symbols - Picture Reading - Spirituality    Please support Mystic Board Donate Here

Kerriwg

Headlice

Post by Kerriwg » Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:19 am

There are essential oils to prevent or control headlice but even easier, blow dry the hair. I had problems when my daughter was young, a friend told me wash and blow dry the hair. After receiving the advice, no more problems. Hope this helps.
KWG  :)

Aromatic

Post by Aromatic » Wed Sep 10, 2008 5:26 am

Please use a few drops of neem oil mixed in any baby shampoo. or if your kid can tolerate the smell massage it on its head. Make sure to dilute it a little with some coconut oil. Leave it on for 2 hours or so and wash off.

Better why not try shaving off his hair? Hhe is very small now and thus it wont matter much. Ans the hair the grow back will be more thick and healthy :)
No adds in signatures!

DebInTx

Post by DebInTx » Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:01 am

From what I understand, you are trying to Prevent your son from catching head lice, not to get rid of some lice.  Am I right?

In this case, I'd start with a mild carrier like witch hazel or apple cider vinegar.  (Don't worry, the aroma of the vinegar will dissipate quickly)  Add a few drops of essential oils such as cedar, lavender, basil, rosemary and mint or orange oil.  All of these are natural insect repellents, which should help protect your son, and are good for the scalp too.

Hope this works.  Let us know!

Deb

Return to “Aromatherapy”