Carrier Oils

Get quality information on the healing powers of essential oils, the properties of each scent, and their uses in the bath, massage, and more.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123

sunshinez

Carrier Oils

Post by sunshinez » Thu Mar 02, 2006 4:09 pm

sunshinez

Post by sunshinez » Thu Mar 02, 2006 4:09 pm

Almond, Sweet

Botanical Name: Prunus amygdalus var. dulcus
Aroma: Light, slightly sweet and nutty.
Texture: Slightly oily, leaves a slight oily feeling on the skin. Absorbs semi-quickly.
Color: Virtually clear with a tinge of yellow.
Notes: Sweet Almond oil is considered to be a good all-purpose carrier oil to keep on hand and is moderately priced.

swetha
Site Admin

Post by swetha » Thu Mar 02, 2006 4:11 pm

sunshinez

Post by sunshinez » Thu Mar 02, 2006 4:15 pm

Well swetha, I dont think making these oils personally would be easy. But I'll try to find out the procedure if any; and post it here

Thanks for liking my post

swetha
Site Admin

Post by swetha » Thu Mar 02, 2006 5:04 pm

ya i guess it would be easier to buy them:))

Gillian

Post by Gillian » Fri Mar 03, 2006 7:23 am

Hi,
My older daughter was working from home as a distributer for a company that produced perfumes, body products and essential oils. She miscarried due to using a certain essential oil while giving a client a facial, but she didn't know at the time she was pregnant, and gave a lot of facials and foot treatments. The warnings about using certain essential oils while pregnant or having heart/blood pressure problems should be taken very seriously.
I like using avocado oil as a carrier oil, but when it wasn't available I used olive oil with rosemary infusion....it gave me heart palputations.....never again!
Another oil in good supply locally is macadamia oil from the local farms, they have a refined variety for dry skin.
One of the best carrier oils is jojoba oil, it has a high wax content, but I use light virgin olive oil - the odour is less intrusive and doesn't overpower the essential oils combinations for various treatments.
There is less promotion for tea tree oil these days because it has a burning effect on tender areas.
I still have my essential oils kit and use combinations for my face, hands, feet and hair..... I've had a lot of success with the dry skin and hair treatments I've created, all in strict adherence to the recommended doses and combinations.

Gillian

swetha
Site Admin

Post by swetha » Fri Mar 03, 2006 8:35 am

I am also interested in using these oils... but i dont know what kinds are avialble in India :smt017
and i never knew that they could be dangerous at times for certain conditions!

sunshinez

Post by sunshinez » Fri Mar 03, 2006 1:44 pm

Well swetha one must be well aware of the side effects and rections of the oils very well before using them. I myself am exploring and learning on these oils as they are very intresting :)

@ Gillian .. Thanks for sharing your expereinces. Can you tell me the combination you use for dry hair? probably pm me? :)

sunshinez

Post by sunshinez » Fri Mar 03, 2006 1:50 pm

Apricot Kernel

Botanical Name: Prunus armeniaca
Aroma: Faint
Texture: Somewhat oily, absorbs semi-quickly.
Color: Virtually clear with a tinge of yellow.
Notes: The semi-oily texture makes this oil helpful in massage blends.

sunshinez

Post by sunshinez » Fri Mar 03, 2006 1:51 pm

Avocado

Botanical Name: Persea americana
Aroma: Medium. Somewhat sweet, fatty and nutty in aroma.
Texture: Thick, leaves a fatty, almost waxy feel to the skin.
Color: Deep olive green.
Notes: If not carefully used or used in a small dilution with another carrier, it may overpower a blend.

Gillian

Post by Gillian » Sat Mar 04, 2006 3:21 am

Hi,
For my really dry coarse hair, I shampoo and condition it with quality products first and towel dry it.
While still damp I apply cold pressed macadamia oil, having rubbed it into my hands to warm it up....any excess can be applied to arms and legs etc.
Then, with another small amount of oil in my hand, I add three drops of Lavender and three of Ylang Ylang, then three drops of 100% Vitamin E oil. This stuff is pretty thick and sticky but it blends well with the others.
This blend becomes the final application and I massage my scalp as well.
My hair is quite thick, but short and a bit curly and I don't comb my hair until it is nearly dry. I believe in the "wash and wear" hair style and the natural curls usually fall into place....it even holds its shape when wet!
Definitely no blow drying, finger combing is best for me.
In between washes I apply a leave-in conditioner, or re apply the blend of essential oils and Vit E oil with a little more cold pressed macadamia oil.
Macadamia oil can be replaced with Avocado oil or even cold pressed olive oil, same stuff I use for salad dressings or for cooking.
Lavender and Ylang Ylang hel with relaxation, calming and soothing, promoting felling of well-being and restful sleep....a good combination for any time of the day or night.

Gillian

Gillian

Post by Gillian » Sat Mar 04, 2006 3:26 am

Hi,
For my really dry coarse hair, I shampoo and condition it with quality products first and towel dry it.
While still damp I apply cold pressed macadamia oil, having rubbed it into my hands to warm it up....any excess can be applied to arms and legs etc.
Then, with another small amount of oil in my hand, I add three drops of Lavender and three of Ylang Ylang, then three drops of 100% Vitamin E oil. This stuff is pretty thick and sticky but it blends well with the others.
This blend becomes the final application and I massage my scalp as well.
My hair is quite thick, but short and a bit curly and I don't comb my hair until it is nearly dry. I believe in the "wash and wear" hair style and the natural curls usually fall into place....it even holds its shape when wet!
Definitely no blow drying, finger combing is best for me.
In between washes I apply a leave-in conditioner, or re apply the blend of essential oils and Vit E oil with a little more cold pressed macadamia oil.
Macadamia oil can be replaced with Avocado oil or even cold pressed olive oil, same stuff I use for salad dressings or for cooking.
Lavender and Ylang Ylang hel with relaxation, calming and soothing, promoting felling of well-being and restful sleep....a good combination for any time of the day or night.

Gillian

sunshinez

Post by sunshinez » Sat Mar 04, 2006 8:12 am

Hmmm very informative ..... thanks dear...

My hair are long and thick but dry and frizzy also.. I tend to get dandfruff when ever i change my oil...
even the current oil which i use , if carried on for more than 5-6 months starts causing dandruff...

Is the treatment you mentioned safe??

sunshinez

Post by sunshinez » Sat Mar 04, 2006 4:41 pm

Borage

Botanical Name: Borago officinalis
Aroma: Light and sweet.
Texture: Thin to medium, leaves a somewhat oily feel to the skin.
Color: Light yellow.
Notes: Is said to be excellent in treating many skin conditions. Borage oil is expensive and is usually blended in a small (often 10%) dilution with other carrier oils. It goes rancid rather quickly.

sunshinez

Post by sunshinez » Sat Mar 04, 2006 4:41 pm

Cocoa Butter

Botanical Name: Theobroma cacao
Aroma: Unrefined cocoa butter is rich and very sweet . It has a chocolaty, "cocoa" aroma. The cocoa aroma is less noticeable in refined cocoa butter.
Texture: Solid and hard to work with at room temperate. Breaks into pieces.
Color: Yellowish tan.
Notes: Cocoa butter needs to be blended with other materials/oils to be workable. Suitable for use in lotions and creams.

Return to “Aromatherapy”