Neroli

Get quality information on the healing powers of essential oils, the properties of each scent, and their uses in the bath, massage, and more.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123

dawn

Neroli

Post by dawn » Tue Mar 14, 2006 2:34 pm

I was thinking about buying some Neroli but I notice it's quite expensive. I found a blend of Neroli and Petitgrain, which is considerbaly cheaper.  Is it any good though?  Does it have the same effect?  

Cheers
dawn

sonny

Post by sonny » Thu Mar 16, 2006 4:31 pm

have petitgrain and it's lovely tho' it smells nicer in use than straight from the bottle.I have to say that though many rave about neroli,I've found that the dilutions don't smell of that much and even when the tutor of a course I attended passed round her pure, unadulterated (very expensive ) oils for us to smell, I still wasn't that enthused.It could just be me-I am drawn to the heavier more sensual oils on the whole.As for usage, I've just sent my little boy to find "The Fragrant Pharmacy" by Valerie Ann Worwood so should be able to tell you in a minute.Well,they share some similar properties,such as being helpful in treating stress-related disorders  and digestive problems but whereas petitgrain is used for oily skin/hair conditions,neroli is used for sensitive or mature skins and in the treatment of thread veins,stretch marks etc.It says that they blend well together and personally I'd probably give it a try.Hope that helps.
sunny

Saldaba6

No

Post by Saldaba6 » Tue Dec 12, 2006 10:43 pm

Neroli is so expensive because it is quite hard to extract and it takes so many petals for an extremely small amount. When one develops a nose for scents, there is a great difference between the smell of pure neroli and that which is blended with petitgrain. The reason that pure essential oils are the prices they are is because of their ease of extraction or lack of it, for instance it takes a green garbage bag full of peppermint leaves to make one pound (16 oz) of peppermint essential oil. There is also a big difference in the healing effects of True Neroli and neroli mixed with petitgrain.
My best suggestion to you would be to purchase a small bottle of Neroli as a 10% dilution in jojoba oil which is cheaper than buying a pure neroli essential oil. It can be used the same as neroli however the dilution for a blend must take into consideration that it is already diluted to only 10% of its normal strength. Since Neroli is a base note, it would, in a pure essential form, require only one drop, in any blend.
Jojoba oil is not an oil at all but rather a liquid form of wax. therefore it does not become rancid as quickly as some other forms of blending oils such as sweet almond oil or grapeseed oil.  
This post could go on for days. I would encourage you to find the book called The Encyclopedia of Pure Essential oils to help yourself better understand what I am talking about here.
Breathe in the air, don't be afraid to care...... Look around, choose your own ground. - Pink Floyd

luckytsa

Post by luckytsa » Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:37 pm

Neroli is great, but is expensive.
I found this place to be great for essential oils and they are very helpful to deal with
Mod note: Link removed please see rules re advertising

tjwaggs

Neroli

Post by tjwaggs » Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:13 am

I love neroli, and no, I don't think that any others can substitute for it.  I know that it is expensive, but, well worth it especially if you have never experienced it before.

luckytsa

Post by luckytsa » Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:12 am

Neroli is very good for many things. I would say of you prefer the cheaper route then go for it.. it just won't be as beneficial as pure Neroli, but on the other hand petitgrain has its own therapeutic properties.
As for carrier oils.. the one closest to your own skin is Jojoba.. Make sure you get a quality pharmaceutical grade.

Return to “Aromatherapy”