Intrusive advertising from Chitika

Post your suggestions here to improve the board, and to get solutions to different site problems.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123

eye_of_tiger
Site Admin

Post by eye_of_tiger » Sun Aug 24, 2014 2:40 am

I want to report and complain about the highly intrusive advertising which has begun appearing on the forums recently (the ones with the long green parallel buttons).

I went to opt out of having these appear with Chitika, but so far opting out has not made them disappear.

Please explain why I am suddenly getting these on your website and nowhere else on the internet, and more importantly how to have them permanently removed.

Do I have to pay a fee for the right to have them removed, and to whom?

Thanks,

eye_of_tiger   :smt009

eye_of_tiger
Site Admin

I am beginning to wonder if............

Post by eye_of_tiger » Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:13 pm

I am beginning to wonder if anyone monitors the postings on this board, or if I am the only person here who is affected by this more than annoying problem, which has only worsened over time.

Anyone?

EoT  :smt010

revangabriel

Post by revangabriel » Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:34 am

On this site? I don't see any advertising on this site at all.

eye_of_tiger
Site Admin

Post by eye_of_tiger » Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:51 pm

Revangabriel,

Thank you so much for responding.

That is exactly what I wanted and needed to know.

I have now removed all tracking cookies which are related to chitika.com from my Firefox web browser, and have also activated the "Tell sites that I do not want to be tracked" option on the privacy tab.

Success at last!  

Only time will tell if the welcome disappearance of their nuisance advertising is permanent.

Thank you again for your assistance,

EoT  :smt038

eye_of_tiger
Site Admin

Post by eye_of_tiger » Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:54 pm

Update!

Their highly intrusive advertising and cookies returned immediately after I had completed the above posting.

So much for do not track.

HELP!!!!!

EoT  :smt013

revangabriel

Post by revangabriel » Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:39 am

Do you have Adblock Plus? I have that installed on my firefox and it seems to do a good job of blocking ads, and its free.

https://adblockplus.org/

eye_of_tiger
Site Admin

Post by eye_of_tiger » Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:35 pm

It is funny that you should mention that as immediately after writing the previous message I installed Adblock Plus, and I finally got rid of this nuisance advertising.

Now I only have to install the same Firefox extension under all three operating systems on my PC, and on both my Android devices, and Chitika should be history at least from my perspective.

Great minds think alike?

Thank you for your help,

EoT  :smt023

benniedoode

Post by benniedoode » Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:20 pm

Some people still dont know how to report or just dont want to do that for some reason :
[url=https://www.craftsway.info/bedding/kids-bedding/find-great-jungle-theme-crib-bedding-ideas/]craftsway.info[/url]

eye_of_tiger
Site Admin

Re: Intrusive advertising from Chitika

Post by eye_of_tiger » Sat Apr 27, 2019 3:46 am

benniedoode wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:20 pm
Some people still dont know how to report or just dont want to do that for some reason :
Hello Bennie,

This was an issue 5 years ago, when we were still using an older version of the forum software than we are now.

It would have done no good for me to report the popup advertising at the time, as I did not realise that it had been authorised by the site owner, to help to pay for keeping MB going.

I am now 5 years older and wiser about how to work out what advertising is legal, or when it is a necessary evil to pay the hosting fees.

It is often more to do with the highly intrusive methods (popups) which some advertisers use to force us to read their messages, and less about the messages themselves.

Any advertising on MB on the forums (other than under certain rules on the Link Exchange) is seen as spam, and will be treated accordingly.

Any posting can at any time be reported to Swetha and myself as inappropriate or unwelcome advertising, by clicking on the exclamation mark (!) in the top right corner of the message.

Regards,

Brian :smt039

Return to “Recommendations and Complaints”