Censorship

Post your suggestions here to improve the board, and to get solutions to different site problems.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123

stan

Censorship

Post by stan » Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:43 pm

Your thoughts please?

Rhutobello

Post by Rhutobello » Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:56 pm

moved to complains for discussion

Vishwas
Site Admin

Post by Vishwas » Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:51 pm

You mean Censorship in general, or Censorship in this site? Your answer will decide the fate of this thread.

Shortyfrm

Post by Shortyfrm » Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:59 pm

Thoughts on Censorship where?  Here at the forum?

If you are talking about here in the forum, I do believe there should be censorship to a point.....I mean, you don't want some random person coming and smutting up the forum, such a positive place shouldn't be poisoned with someone who doesn't know how to properly communicate without use of profanity....

I forget sometimes but I try my best not to use words that might be offensive to others who use the forum.  I don't know, I guess that is just me.

tourbi

Post by tourbi » Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:33 pm

"Censorship is the suppression or deletion of material, which may be considered objectionable, harmful or sensitive, as determined by a censor."

As far as I'm concerned, I'm a member here as a guest.  I have been invited to be a member of a private group where I am not the owner.  Therefore, I have assumed the personal responsibility to behave in a certain way, as a guest, and to respect the rules, boundaries set by the owner.  It's just like being in someone else's home.  I must respect their rules and boundaries to be a good friend or guest in their home.
The owner has the right to ask me to leave, ask me to express myself appropriately, (no nude pics, using appropriate language, respect everyone else on site), delete something/someone they find objectionable. etc.
It's their responsibility to set good boundaries and keep them.
If I don't like the way management/ownership is doing things, I don't need to stay.

Shortyfrm

Post by Shortyfrm » Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:54 pm

tourbi wrote:"Censorship is the suppression or deletion of material, which may be considered objectionable, harmful or sensitive, as determined by a censor."

As far as I'm concerned, I'm a member here as a guest.  I have been invited to be a member of a private group where I am not the owner.  Therefore, I have assumed the personal responsibility to behave in a certain way, as a guest, and to respect the rules, boundaries set by the owner.  It's just like being in someone else's home.  I must respect their rules and boundaries to be a good friend or guest in their home.
The owner has the right to ask me to leave, ask me to express myself appropriately, (no nude pics, using appropriate language, respect everyone else on site), delete something/someone they find objectionable. etc.
If I don't like the way management/ownership is doing things, I don't need to stay.
Couldn't have said it better myself...wonderful post!

Vishwas
Site Admin

Post by Vishwas » Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:49 pm

Well said tourbi.

Sei no Senshi

Post by Sei no Senshi » Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:09 pm

Censorship is a coward's escape key.
Chinmoku no hoshi, Dosei wo shugo ni motsu, hametsu no senshi.  Seira Satan.

Rhutobello

Post by Rhutobello » Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:21 pm

Sei no Senshi wrote:Censorship is a coward's escape key.
And this statement is just stupid and show that it is not given a thought at all.

As with anything else in life, there is more colors then black and white.

There is a lot of situations when we need censorship, because we humans many times don't have the ability to think further then our own nose tip...or what give us most in our purse.

On the other hand if censorship is used to suppress others legal opinions in order to promote their own or to protect their possession, then I can agree that it is faulty....but maybe it is not used by a coward...more as a abuse of power.

MarcoAZS

Post by MarcoAZS » Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:22 pm

tourbi wrote:"Censorship is the suppression or deletion of material, which may be considered objectionable, harmful or sensitive, as determined by a censor."

yes very good indeed :)
although, differently than a home its a place to expose more like a museum, in this case since its a forum more like a church or university, and as does places too, if the censorship is big, there won't be any more members of such place, and then, well then the site is deleted for low number of visitors/guests LOL. Thats something you forgot to remember, a house can live without visitors, not a site, especially not a forum/board

Lights and Thanks!
MarcoAZS
do you even hear me? Or right now it just got impossible for you? Do you even try? Think on yourself for a while

sidewalk_bends

Post by sidewalk_bends » Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:30 pm

MarcoAZS wrote:

yes very good indeed :)
although, differently than a home its a place to expose more like a museum, in this case since its a forum more like a church or university, and as does places too, if the censorship is big, there won't be any more members of such place, and then, well then the site is deleted for low number of visitors/guests LOL. Thats something you forgot to remember, a house can live without visitors, not a site, especially not a forum/board

Lights and Thanks!
MarcoAZS
Dang, that Marco is wise!  :smt006
I am just like you.

Sei no Senshi

Post by Sei no Senshi » Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:32 pm

And this statement is just stupid and show that it is not given a thought at all.
In what other ways is censorship decided upon other than "I don't like it, so it needs to go"?  Sweep it under the rug and act like it never happened...that doesn't fix anything and it just ticks people off.

Something I do not enjoy is the "as determined by a censor" part.  No rules or guidelines, just if someone doesn't like it, it's gone.  That is stupid.  Suppressing thought and the expression thereof is never cool or a good idea.

There is a lot of situations when we need censorship
This is where I have to disagree, I don't see very many situations needing censorship.  I can only think of two.  Spam and sexually explicit material.  Spam doesn't serve a point, it's not useful, get rid of it.  In sites like this where there are minors lurking about, sexually explicit material is illegal, so that definately doesn't need to be here.

Rhutobello

Post by Rhutobello » Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:41 pm

Well well we can all agree you are good to write SnS.....but maybe you in some field still show your age as 18 :)

Sei no Senshi

Post by Sei no Senshi » Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:48 pm

Bringing my age into a conversation where I did not bring it up before can be taken as a personal attack.  So why are you not censored when others would be?

Rhuto, there have been several posts by several different members all about the same thing, censorship, locking threads, the whole deal.  Does that not tell you anything?  Do you just not care?
Chinmoku no hoshi, Dosei wo shugo ni motsu, hametsu no senshi.  Seira Satan.

Rhutobello

Post by Rhutobello » Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:02 pm

Maybe you shall look to yourself.

If you are talking about censorship on this site...then state so...so we know that is what you are telling about.

When you have lived a bit longer...you will see there is censorship in many places of our society...so to tell that the word "censorship" is equal to

" a coward's escape key"

shows only that you haven't given it a thought at all, and that way you loose the credibility of your statement.

Return to “Recommendations and Complaints”