A possible suggestion...

Post your suggestions here to improve the board, and to get solutions to different site problems.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123

sunmystic

A possible suggestion...

Post by sunmystic » Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:21 pm

I would like to suggest an experimental forum called, "The Breakroom."

It would be a place for folks to hang out and visit while they are exploring the gifts of Mystic Board.

New folks could interact with other new folks and they could get to know each other. New folks could also interact with experienced Mystic Board users and get to know them; and also interact with management and get to know them :) .

A friendly place to launch from as one studies and explores the adventure that is Mystic Board.

love,

sunmystic

Cascade of Light

Post by Cascade of Light » Sat Oct 17, 2009 5:04 pm

I like this idea.  Many forums have a Lounge, where members chatter and chill out and just talk. Some may say thats what the General Discussion board is for but to be fair that board has more religious and spiritually off putting dogma and scary topics than anywhere else so I think this is a great idea :)

Cassie
A cascade of light shone down on me, then the angels spoke, and set me free,
Cas x

sunmystic

Post by sunmystic » Sat Oct 17, 2009 6:13 pm

Cascade of Light wrote:I like this idea.  Many forums have a Lounge, where members chatter and chill out and just talk. Some may say thats what the General Discussion board is for but to be fair that board has more religious and spiritually off putting dogma and scary topics than anywhere else so I think this is a great idea :)

Cassie
Based on several years of watching mystic board, the management does not want a lounge and I do understand why. 1. because Mystic Board is a "working" message board; and 2. if one is not careful, a lounge type forum could end up a separate message board inside of the main message board with people nesting in it (knitting circles) and not posting on the rest of the message board :)

It would be a friendly "Breakroom" :) and "Atrium" (beginning place) to the rest of the "working" message board. And a place for us regular users to encourage new people to explore and post in other forums. Get their feet wet so to speak.

anyway it is just an idea (experimental) because Mystic Board is loosing too many new people. They are coming but they are not staying. And stepping into the adventure that is Mystic Board "cold turkey" can be abit overwhelming :) .

just love,

sunmystic

pirbid

Post by pirbid » Sun Oct 18, 2009 12:16 pm

:) I also find that some forums have little exchange of opinions. Some people get in, write their thing -some read a bit like sermons- and ignore all other previous or later input by others. I guess that makes it less inviting for people who aren't necessarily knowing about some of the subjects, and here I speak mainly for myself. There are forums written in English which might as well be written in the poster's original language for all I can grasp of its meanings.

Still, I guess the admins of the board might say that the Introduction, General and Need a Hug are enough for those who want to talk about anything in a more relaxed way. There are even forums for more common place topics, like music, books, etc. But they have little movement in general. The regular posters can't be everywhere at once and stay mainly in just a handful of threads.

I guess a board this size is very hard to keep going smoothly all the time. Anyway, I wouldn't mind trying your idea and seeing how it goes, if it's true people write more freely in it. Thanks for the proposal  :)
Sunshine from the islands of eternal spring ;)

Rhutobello

Post by Rhutobello » Sun Oct 18, 2009 5:12 pm

This question, and the question about chat rooms are resurrected from time to time.
I can see that some of the good reason for not doing it on this kind of forum is already given....

Here is my view....not necessarily the owners view....and it takes more serious approach to the whole forums structure, both in development, and in the daily running.

In order to make such thing, and for it to have a really benefit, one need to have a paid area...not much....something like 8-10$ a year. ..in which they also could have thrown in one of the simpler program as welcome gift.

The reason for paid area is :

In order to pay, you need to give your real information....you will therefore avoid people who just surf to the site..and might or might not make fuss.

In order to pay, you show that you are interested in the subject, and by that you are more willing to attend to other members, who have shown the same willingness, and the progress might therefor be better.

When you have paid for a thing, you expect more then from a free site. This will put more responsibility on the moderator and administrator in the daily work, and the question is if it is possible to still run with people who do it for free.

When payment first is introduced, then you also need a greater focus on the development of the site.
This is not negative, because all growth is greater when one show creativity and changes, people like such thing.

So the whole thing is, " shall we or shall we not introduce paid areas " there is valid reservations and benefits for it....in the end it is up to the owners.

Cascade of Light

Post by Cascade of Light » Sun Oct 18, 2009 5:59 pm

Why a paid area? I must have missed a suggestin about payment, because that is one thing I am against, unless it removes all these ads, lol. But they do put people off.  I was just suggesting that a Lounge board might be nice. I know there are the fun and jokes bit, and general discussion, but well that general isn't the usual friendly banter, it seems full of religous quotes and dogma posts?
Cas x

sunmystic

Post by sunmystic » Sun Oct 18, 2009 6:39 pm

I hate chat rooms :) and I will absolutely not participate a chat room. I am old and slow :)

Paid sections create social separation, people generally being what they are :) . One would be better off having the whole message board a pay to partipate message board.

And a quiet not busy message board is alot more fun to hang out in than one that is very busy :) Opps!

I here by withdraw my original suggestion :) and I will see that I never do this again!

Love you guys!

sunmystic

Rhutobello

Post by Rhutobello » Sun Oct 18, 2009 7:46 pm

Yea..I think Swetha have the same opinion..she like the board to stay free...so I think it will stay that way.

Yep..".Discussion forum" is for normal discussion...and..yes...there is a lot of None discussion material, which I made a new forum, about a year ago, named  "Inspirations and Words for today" just for that use, I have started to move it there.

So let us do the best out of the thing we have...glad for any suggestion..because we know we are far from perfect...but in the end the owner must have the control...since she pay the whole party :)

Cascade of Light

Post by Cascade of Light » Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:40 pm

Thank-you Rhutobello, the forum is changing with all your hard work, much appreciated.

Thanks

Cassie x
Cas x

sunmystic

"General Discussion"

Post by sunmystic » Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:24 pm

"General Discussion", A friendly place to get started as you explore, "The Adventure that is Mystic Board."

love,

sunmystic

Return to “Recommendations and Complaints”