spambot posts on the forums seem a little excessive

Post your suggestions here to improve the board, and to get solutions to different site problems.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123

caithiggs

spambot posts on the forums seem a little excessive

Post by caithiggs » Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:56 pm

Hey, I have been noticing the copious amount of spam on these forums. Some of them are fairly old (from 2010). A lot of the spam posts are just general information given about the forum or subforum in which the threads are posted, but entirely irrelevant to the actual thread. And example of this would be peter238, who I'm sure isn't a real person.

Some of them I've been noticing are just random sentences thrown together to almost look like someone who'se barely literate is attempting to articulate something, but after reading enough of these posts it's clear that it's just regurgitated sentences thrown together. I notice people trying to understand what these "people" are saying, but fail because they are obviously just false accounts or something.

I find these posts just make the atmosphere for the forums a little less nice. I'm not going to lie, actually makes the board look a little bad (to be blunt about it). Why are these posts not being dealt with? I understand that moderators are busy people, but it seems like something could be done to get a little more policing of these posts/accounts done, such as adding more moderators perhaps? Or more likely making a more intelligent system for people starting accounts so that these bots can't get in. It seems like some of them are phishing, and again, it just looks bad on the forums at large, not to mention it is dangerous.

I understand this is not an easy thing to deal with as there are all kinds of ways for these bots to get around the rules, but I am concerned that it is not being taken noted of, as it appears from the older posts.

swetha
Site Admin

Post by swetha » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:47 am

Hello,
Thanks for your concern. The member has been warned. We try our best to stop bots and spam posts. But when people do it manually, we can do very little other than delete. Only members like yourself can help us clean this up :) since the forum is volunteer based, we only have so much time in which the mods and the admins try their best to make this a better place.

Do let me know your suggestions and opinions so we can improve the site.
Thanks

Regards,
Swetha

suzisco

Post by suzisco » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:32 am

Sadly i do not have time to read every thread although i do make an effort to do so.
You can make my job easier by reporting them when you see them so i can clean them up.

I had a long sabbatical last year so was not around to clean up some of the spam.

These forums are moderated by unpaid volunteers and It would be unkind to chastise them when they give up a huge amount of time to keep this place running.

Suzi
Enjoy when you can and endure when you must.
Everydays Predictions - Symbols - Picture Reading - Spirituality    Please support Mystic Board Donate Here

caithiggs

Post by caithiggs » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:16 pm

Yeah, I didn't mean to come off so harsh. I was just getting irritated so I'm sorry if I was being harsh. I understand that people are not paid and it is not a full time job.  I also forget that people can do this kind of thing manually (or rather that anybody would bother their time instead of doing something productive in life!) I will just report from now on instead of complaining on this forum! I worry about people becoming vulnerable to these types of things though, but I do think you guys have enough info on not sharing anything person in the forums or through PMs that hopefully nobody would go ahead and share that with someone. I'm sure if nobody's complained about falling victim to it, it probably hasn't happened here. :)

swetha
Site Admin

Post by swetha » Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:00 am

hey,
thanks for seeing out point. we always strive to make this board the best and are open to suggestions. and we can also do with all the help from members like suzisco mentioned. you can do your part by letting us know about the problem areas.

cedars
Tarot reader

Post by cedars » Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:29 pm

Caithiggs

Please use the section ''Report as Inappropriate Post'' on the left hand side of the spam post and one of the Mods or Admin people will see to it.

All our Admin and Mods are quite conscientious about these things and have never failed in the past.

Trust them. You will get results :)

Return to “Recommendations and Complaints”