Complaint regarding MB Softwares

Post your suggestions here to improve the board, and to get solutions to different site problems.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123

AnnThereseSmith

Post by AnnThereseSmith » Sat Nov 14, 2015 9:40 pm

:smt013

I was given to understand that the MB softwares I downloaded were free but then when I installed them I was told I could either pay or do trialware or postware....so now I am under pressure to make 200 posts for one, 125 for another, 100 for another, 100 for another, 75 for another and the last is 25 for my pet astrology.  I am now afraid to use the programs until I make the required posts.
When all things that are Dark become all things that are Light, Where will we go for the Mystery?

eye_of_tiger
Site Admin

Did you read this page before downloading the software?

Post by eye_of_tiger » Sat Nov 14, 2015 10:57 pm

Hello Ann,

Did you read the following web page and agree to its conditions, before downloading and installing the software? If not, you should have.

http://help.mysticboard.org/register-my ... wares.html

I am genuinely sorry if someone else on here has given you the wrong impression that Mystic Board software is entirely freeware.

All the software is absolutely free to download, as long as you agree with the conditions given in return for using it.

Selling the software has always been a way for this site's owner to be able to continue to pay for the day to day running and development of her website. The only other workable alternative would be to charge an annual subscription for all members for these services like many other websites do, but Swetha has decided against doing this and we agree.
What are the Advantages of Registering my software?

You get to use the software for life.

You will be entitled to software upgrades and updates for life.

A few options such as print and save are disabled in the unregistered versions. By registering you get to use all the features.

Removes other limitations within the software (in some cases)

Priority email support. (for priority support include your registration details)

By registering your MB Mystic software you are helping yourself... by helping us in further development, upgrading and maintaining the software. This ensures that you always have latest upgrades and updates of the software. When you register, it also helps the whole MB community at large.
Note that if you do not want to use the postware method, there is no further requirement for you to post anything and to contribute anything further to our community (although we encourage you to do so). The number of postings required if you do choose postware is related to the cost and complexity of the particular software package which you have selected.

Nobody is putting you under any pressure or obligation to choose one option over the others, and if you do not wish to use any of these methods to help us, we ask you to immediately delete all unregistered MB software from your computer. You do not have to satisfy any further conditions or pay anything to have the option to uninstall Mystic Board software.
I am now afraid to use the programs until I make the required posts.
Normally the trial period lasts 30 days, but you can freely use the software as you have downloaded it without any need to be afraid for up to 45 days after you installed it, using the information on the following web page.

"Trial Period Extension - FAQ"

http://help.mysticboard.org/trial-period-extension.html

EoT

AnnThereseSmith

Post by AnnThereseSmith » Sun Nov 15, 2015 12:19 am

I should have chosen my words more carefully...I do want to keep the software  and will eventually have the post count to register it and I do want to be a contributing member of this forum so I will just wait to use the software until I have the post count necessary and can register it.
Ann
When all things that are Dark become all things that are Light, Where will we go for the Mystery?

Talia

Post by Talia » Sun Nov 15, 2015 1:11 pm

I didn't realise this, now I know why some people are just trying to run up post counts.

Welcome Ann Therese, hope you enjoy the forums too.

eye_of_tiger
Site Admin

Post by eye_of_tiger » Sun Nov 15, 2015 11:06 pm

Talia,

Unfortunately there are some people who post hundreds of mindless and empty of anything useful postings, simply to reach the posting count to be able to register their software.

Examples: "I agree" or "I like that" or single words like "good" or "hi"

These will not be counted by us towards them reaching their required software quota.

After having registered their software we will often never see them again. They take what they were after, then give back nothing in return.

In contrast we have genuine and sincere people like Ann who wish to register their software by doing it the right way, and who at the same time want to make a positive contribution to our community in return for what has been given.

There is a vast difference between the two groups. A taker would never be asking these sorts of questions in the first place.

EoT

Rohiniranjan

Post by Rohiniranjan » Mon Nov 16, 2015 3:39 pm

The model/procedure used by most freeware and even commercial sellers is probably the cleanest hassle-free way. They allow demo-versions (partly crippled or full) for use for either a certain number of times or a fixed trial period. After that either the user pays the charges (often minimal, but could be a lot more) for unrestricted use (with bonus of free updates etc in some cases or support etc) or keep playing with the crippled software or uninstall.

Scribd in its early days used the upload one-download one barter system and ended up with multiple bogus uploads. I think now they have started subscriptions and up-front charging. Which is much cleaner as systems go rather than barter or payment in kind etc.

{Addendum: Maybe those of us who have, hopefully, made useful contributions and never would have the intention of acquiring divinatory software etc., can be given a way to donate their 'posting-credits' to some general credits pool or an option to gift (NOT SELL!) their credits to a friend forum-member? Christmas is round the corner and the donor probably gets good karma for the act!}

Talia

Post by Talia » Mon Nov 16, 2015 5:11 pm

What a lovely idea Rohini, someone can have mine, there must be an easy way for the admin to override those in need too  :)

Rohiniranjan

Post by Rohiniranjan » Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:16 pm

Talia wrote:What a lovely idea Rohini, someone can have mine, there must be an easy way for the admin to override those in need too  :)
It might make more work for them is what I am afraid of and they seem over-worked, as it is.  :smt010
Rohiniranjan
========
JYO-LOGUE

eye_of_tiger
Site Admin

Post by eye_of_tiger » Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:07 am

I cannot see any possible mechanism which would allow me to transfer posting counts between different accounts in the manner which you have suggested, but even if it were possible I would rather spend my time helping people who are in genuine need through my spiritual work on Mystic Board, than being what amounts to a glorified bean counter.

It is not that I would not be willing to do the extra work involved with this if Swetha made it a site policy after showing me how to do it, but rather it is making what little energy I have remaining work as efficiently as possible for my optimum health, as well as for the maximum benefit of this wonderful site and its valued members.

EoT

eye_of_tiger
Site Admin

Post by eye_of_tiger » Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:53 am

The only way to reduce a member's posting count is to delete that number of their postings from the forum database.

But the only way to increase their postings count is for them to make that number of new postings themselves.

A person's posting count can never be independent of the number of postings which they have contributed.

Rather the count is a direct and automatic consequence of how many postings they have made since registering under that particular screen name.

EoT  :smt100
“Life Is Too Short To Worry About What Others Say Or Think About You. Have Fun, And Give Them Something To Talk About”
-Unknown

Rohiniranjan

Post by Rohiniranjan » Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:12 pm

Sigh! I wish I had a sparkle of brilliance (Innate or even channeled) :-( that could solve the situation or even bring a ray of hope...

I see the wisdom behind the barter alternative of this grand forum for its members (postings in lieu of purchase in currency) but as has been noticed and recognized rightly there is the rise in thank you and 'hi there' messages to deal with. And those take up forum storage which can be quite expensive for those who have graciously created and maintain the cost of running a forum like this. Many members probably never even think about that reality.

Google and Yahoo have always given two options to folks wishing to set up personal forums (astrology, religion, photography, whatever). The free forums were supported by advertisements with money going to Yahoo etc) or paid forums (ad free; the subscription paid by owner or host of forum or member-fees.

I bet most folks do not realize how hard the admins and moderators have to work (most of whom are volunteers and often serve such forums due to their love for the subject-area or in the case of divinations for doing good and/or gaining practical experience, etc.). Screening posts for content and/or violations (commercial links, inappropriate messages, abuse etc) takes up a lot of time and energy. Then readers too rightly feel somewhat slighted because of lack of follow-up (way more satisfying than a hurried or cryptic *thank you* note penned-off weeks or months after the reading and quite often just a cone of silence!).

Perhaps all the sad events and bad news from out there (man-made, nature-made, etc) is turning all of us into a pyramid of APATHY?
Rohiniranjan
========
JYO-LOGUE

eye_of_tiger
Site Admin

Post by eye_of_tiger » Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:27 pm

Perhaps all the sad events and bad news from out there (man-made, nature-made, etc) is turning all of us into a pyramid of APATHY?
Oh dear! :smt009

I certainly do hope that you are wrong about this.

Thanking you for this golden opportunity to be able to express my own feelings about the important issues which you have raised in your posting, as well as to make a minor correction.

We are ALL volunteers on Mystic Board.

We do NOT have one single paid staff member.

We do NOT have staff members.

What we have in place of staff is a team of helpers who are equals on this site, and whom each use their own unique gifts and skills in cooperation with each other to provide a friendly and safe environment, in which to help and interact with people who share our interests in the psychic and spiritual aspects of life.

Moderators, readers and administrators are only human beings like yourselves, with human feelings. Nobody likes to feel disrespected, abused or ignored. Treat and respect us exactly as you would be like to be treated and respected if our roles had been reversed, and we should get on fine.

When we all treat each other well, then all the time and energy that the helper team members freely donate on the forums really does not seem like work at all (hard or otherwise).

It is always my pleasure and privilege to be of service to our internet friends.

Together we MAKE and ARE Mystic Board!

Long live Mystic Board!

EoT   :smt023

Rohiniranjan

Post by Rohiniranjan » Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:36 pm

I do not think I said or implied that there were any staff members here (paid or partners, etc.) :-)
My comment about visible apathy was not directed at mystic board specifically, either :-( It is visible everywhere -- including beyond virtual realm ;-)
Social media now have expanded well beyond discussion forums since Facebook and twitter Awatar (Entity) arrived <LOL> and so on...! This has diverted the attention of many away from the more traditional modes of interacting including discussion forums. A lot of other changes all over the domains, many distractions, shorter attention-spans, rising mistrust levels, etc. etc.

Probably all in the Grand Plan of evolution...?

Return to “Recommendations and Complaints”