I want to start my grimoire/book of shadows

A forum that offers discussions on esoteric topics like demonology, magick, encounters, witchcraft, and all things spiritual or mystical in nature.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123

virathree33

I want to start my grimoire/book of shadows

Post by virathree33 » Tue Jul 03, 2007 8:39 pm

I've collected vast amounts of information including spells, rituals, techniques etc from my studies over the past year or two and I want to start putting them into a grimoire/book of shadows. I don't know how I should organize it though. I want to write it all by hand so as to put my energy into it by physically putting the words to the paper instead of typing it up and printing out (plus if I did that'd be a lot of ink cartridges). I know this will be a long and lengthy yet very worthwhile process. I was wondering if anyone could suggest a "layout" for lack of a better term, that you think would be helpful and efficient for accessing information quickly in the future. Comments, opinions, suggestions are as usual always appreciated.

Oh, a couple other things. What type of book do you recommend doing this in? Lines, no lines? Leather or paperback? Does it matter? And what would be the proper term for this book that I'm compiling, is grimoire the right word or is book of shadows the right word? I lean towards herbal magick mostly, but I'm putting other types of information about spirits and such into it. I still consider myself relatively new despite that I've been doing research on and off for about 3 years. I'm ready to dive in 100% this time though and not lose touch with everything again. I think putting it into a book is going to help me with that.

Rhutobello

Post by Rhutobello » Tue Jul 03, 2007 8:56 pm

Why not try e-book.

T write a "hard copy" cost a lot to produce and you must either take it from your own money or get an publisher.

There are several e-book programs out there....but you need one that can manage password to open up for those who buy....but at the same time prevent sharing...or if you have thought to give it for free...this is the best and most cost effective way

sarwiz

Post by sarwiz » Thu Jul 05, 2007 4:45 am

Go to a bookstore, and look at different journals. One will feel right. You may have to go to several. I found one in a B&N that had a grid instead of lines (like graph paper) and started with that. When it is full, I will make my own paper and bind it myself. I covered this with deerskin and use markers, pens, pencils, or whatever feels right at the time. Meditate, then go to the store. Your subconscious will lead you.

virathree33

Post by virathree33 » Thu Jul 05, 2007 5:56 am

Rhutobello wrote:Why not try e-book.

T write a "hard copy" cost a lot to produce and you must either take it from your own money or get an publisher.

There are several e-book programs out there....but you need one that can manage password to open up for those who buy....but at the same time prevent sharing...or if you have thought to give it for free...this is the best and most cost effective way
Thank you for this but I meant to make the book for my own personal use not really for publishing. I appreciate your input. I'll be sure to do that if I ever want to publish something.

abalone

Post by abalone » Sat Aug 11, 2007 12:09 am

I was told that your Book of Shadows is the most personal thing you have.  I am like you, I have a ton of info but no idea of where to put it.  I went to my local drugstore and bought a black leather covered journal to start with.  I think I will use this for all the things that are personal to me and keep my research material in a binder.  This way I can add to it as I receive more information and can transfer information into my personal as I feel it is needed.  I think that is the whole idea of a Book of Shadows is to be like your own personal journey so therefore it should reflect such.  Good luck and if you come up with any cool ideas, let me know

Svanprins

About book f the shadows

Post by Svanprins » Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:07 am

I think it must feel right to you. Go to more bookstores than one or two until you find the right one.

Return to “Occult and Magick”