Tarot versus Ouija Board

A forum that offers discussions on esoteric topics like demonology, magick, encounters, witchcraft, and all things spiritual or mystical in nature.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123

Prof. Akers

Post by Prof. Akers » Wed Oct 03, 2007 1:44 pm

But each planet has an angel that typifies it (according to the software), there was a time when I was fascinated by magic, read what magicians have to say about planets, planes and methods of divination.
Alternatively is astrology divination?
Or am I going philosophical again?

Gem

Post by Gem » Wed Oct 03, 2007 2:40 pm

Errrrrrrrrr.... heck.... hang on, this has gotten really interesting lol, now where were we....

I think the fundamental thing about ouija boards is WHO uses them and WHY? Many have a go after a few drinks with no idea of what to do if a nasty spirit makes contact, many scare themselves freakless and then start really bad rumours and stories. No idea of protection or shielding, no idea what to do if a spirit takes over one of them or materialises or speaks or knocks three times etc...

I have nothing against them but I do think that some basic knowledge of safety around spirits is needed? Even if the 'damage' is only psychological rather than physical, our emotions can create illness and imbalance and a freaky experience can harm..... :smt017

Now what were we really talking about?

Prof. Akers

Post by Prof. Akers » Wed Oct 03, 2007 3:37 pm

Nude ouijing?
No did that,didn't work, forgot what I wanted to ask.
Enough of this one as far I'm concerned unless someone else comes up with a sideways view.

sidewalk_bends

Re: Tarot versus Ouija Board

Post by sidewalk_bends » Wed Oct 03, 2007 4:39 pm

Gem wrote:
White Ghost wrote:
The tarot is a means of divination in which the querent asks the cards.  The cards are not a portal to another world or a means of contacting other entities.

The ouija board is, from what I have read, specifically for contacting the dead.  As a means of divination, it is the spirit of a dead person who must provide the prediction. It is a form of necromancy.  :smt002
Exactly :)

When you use tarot you do not usually ask for spirits to come forward and make contact, they are not the purpose of the cards unless you are asking spirit specifically. Some readers use spirit guides but by no means all.

Ouija is a specific way of contacting spirit life, opening a door to their world.
Just because one does not ask spirit to influence cards does not mean spirit do not and cannot influence the cards.

sidewalk_bends

Post by sidewalk_bends » Wed Oct 03, 2007 4:43 pm

Gem wrote:Runes have an individual power, they are a sacred symbol that can be used to invoke power or protection or safety etc. Some runes can be used in sequence to call in spirit, of course they can, in the same way a picture card of the devil might be used to call in evil.

Sacred to who? The symbols come from who?

Spirit can influence anything they choose. But what is spirit? Are we talking synchronicity here or the collective unconsciousness?

How about neither?

Some epoepl are influenced by dark spirits, many people are far too trusting and open to their inner naiveties and hysteira and paranoia, maybe it is spirit maybe it is the ramblings of a schizophrenic or bi polar mind? If they are 7ft tall and called chief then I would go for the latter lol,

Maybe there is no such thing as schizophrenics? I wouldn't trust a 7ft tall chief either ;)

sidewalk_bends

Post by sidewalk_bends » Wed Oct 03, 2007 4:48 pm

Prof. Akers wrote:Why is there this assumption that only mentally deranged spirits come through ouija boards?
Yes I've had some strange ones - who hasn't, but are all the spitiualists, mediums and others going to say that they NEVER meet them?

Honestly, I believe some are just naive and lump them all into one category because they believe they are ALWAYS protected. However, just because one is protected does not mean they will not see nor be influenced by darker spirits/demons. Remember, even lucifer was suppose to be the most beautiful of angels. We should not assume that darker spirits will not try to appear as calming and soothing images. It's what lays behind the image that matters.

All means of divination are by definition asking someone somewhere for
guideance.

Bingo! Unless we ask through our own hearts, and so guidance comes through our own connection with God, the universe or whomever you like to choose.

Sei no Senshi

Post by Sei no Senshi » Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:10 pm

But each planet has an angel that typifies it (according to the software)
Not every planet.

Also, they aren't typified by these archangels, they are associated with them.  Even then, though, I don't see the point.  Unless you're trying to say that astrology is really the voices of specific Judeo-Christian Archangels (many of which don't even exist in canon) using the positions of their associated planet to speak about specific issues.  Then I'd probably have to have myself a good laugh and feel sad for the Outers.

read what magicians have to say about planets, planes and methods of divination.
Eh...
-.-'' *sigh*
Last edited by Sei no Senshi on Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kardoid

Post by kardoid » Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:03 pm

redclaw123 wrote:i would call terror of a ouija board absurd. both forms of divination are predominantly tapping into your subconscious mind, but occasionally a spirit may become involved in a reading. If you're really worried about it do a protection spell or otherwise shield yourself before you begin. If you don't know how to shield, read more about basic magickal practices under page one...at least i HOPE that's where you'd find it!

have you ever heard of the candle of protection?  that it protects you of spells and bad done to u via voodo ect.?  It is sold under the Greek Orthodox church i belive.  and if so how much do u think something like that would cost?

White Ghost

Post by White Ghost » Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:55 am

Prof. Akers wrote:Everybody knows possesion cases on ouija board... anybody knows possesion cases on tarot?
Possession is not the same as obsession.

Nor would I say, at this point, that tarot can tap into your subconscious mind.  We could say that anything can tap into the subconscious, but then that makes the discussion useless.

The tarot is quite objective.  The cards clearly state their meaning. You either accept their advice or not.  :smt003

redclaw123

Post by redclaw123 » Thu Oct 04, 2007 3:13 pm

Prof. Akers wrote:But each planet has an angel that typifies it (according to the software), there was a time when I was fascinated by magic, read what magicians have to say about planets, planes and methods of divination.
that popped into my head as soon as i read that too. i think astrology, numerology, and graphology should be called something other than divination because they don't call for "spiritual guidance" but rather use established facts such as the exact position of a planet--which can't be altered once it happened--or looks at the way a person dots their i's, whereas tarot, i ching, and runes are means of connecting to a higher power or the higher self within you.

robin joy wirth

redclaw123

Post by redclaw123 » Thu Oct 04, 2007 3:20 pm

have you ever heard of the candle of protection?  that it protects you of spells and bad done to u via voodo ect.?  It is sold under the Greek Orthodox church i belive.  and if so how much do u think something like that would cost?[/quote]

never heard of it but if on learns how to protect themself i dont think it's necessary to buy expensive stuff like that

Gem

Post by Gem » Thu Oct 04, 2007 3:49 pm

[quote="redclaw123]that popped into my head as soon as i read that too. i think astrology, numerology, and graphology should be called something other than divination because they don't call for "spiritual guidance" but rather use established facts such as the exact position of a planet--which can't be altered once it happened--or looks at the way a person dots their i's, whereas tarot, i ching, and runes are means of connecting to a higher power or the higher self within you.

robin joy wirth[/quote]

But I-ching hexs have definate and defined meanings, so do runes and if you read tarot using traditional meanings then those too are 'fixed' and not open to interpretation.

Sei no Senshi

Post by Sei no Senshi » Thu Oct 04, 2007 4:28 pm

The best way to show astrology as a divinatory method is to, perhaps, use the definition everyone is thinking of, which is to foretell the future.

Well, alrighty, I can work with that.

Horary astrology.  How do you think that works?  Ask a question and astrology gives an answer.  Sounds nice.  Well, what that is is the planets arrangeing themselves accordingly to accurately reflect the situation surrounding the question, the answer to the question, and the path best taken.

I see no difference between that and tarot cards arranging themselves accordingly through the reader shuffling the cards so that the cards that best represent the situation fall into the correct slot in a particular spread.

Divinition is through supernatural means.  Interpreting the outcomes of coin tosses.  Interpreting cards as they fit into a specific picture (spread). Interpreting planets in their position in charts.  All sounds pretty supernatural to me.  I don't think it's necessary to contact a spirit for a proper divination.  I've heard of no invocations (sp?) for I Ching readings or astrological chart interpretations, rune castings, or even tarot for that matter.  Though, I'm sure there is some out there for the latter.

sidewalk_bends

Post by sidewalk_bends » Thu Oct 04, 2007 5:01 pm

redclaw123 wrote:
Prof. Akers wrote:But each planet has an angel that typifies it (according to the software), there was a time when I was fascinated by magic, read what magicians have to say about planets, planes and methods of divination.
that popped into my head as soon as i read that too. i think astrology, numerology, and graphology should be called something other than divination because they don't call for "spiritual guidance" but rather use established facts such as the exact position of a planet--which can't be altered once it happened--or looks at the way a person dots their i's, whereas tarot, i ching, and runes are means of connecting to a higher power or the higher self within you.

robin joy wirth
Blue claw, I just wanted to point out that we really don't know the exact position of a planet. We may know it in reference to something else though?

Monkey999

Tarot/Ouija

Post by Monkey999 » Fri Oct 05, 2007 8:51 pm

I have never had a bad experience with either.  I have never had an evil spirit come through (that I know of) on the Ouija Board.

However, I think I would prefer divination through the Tarot, because there is a chance of some sort of subjective response through the reader on the Ouija Board.  Meaning, the person using the Ouija Board might have a preconception and unconsciously spell out something themselves.  That can't really happen with Tarot cards, since you don't know which cards you are picking.

I would guess there are more evil spirits out there without help of the Ouija, than with.  One just needs to be open to them.

Return to “Occult and Magick”