Smudging - What is 'smudging'?

A forum that offers discussions on esoteric topics like demonology, magick, encounters, witchcraft, and all things spiritual or mystical in nature.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123

Gem

Smudging - What is 'smudging'?

Post by Gem » Thu Jun 07, 2007 3:24 pm

The basics of 'smudging'

First I will say, like all other matters of a mystical or spritual nature, there are many right and many wrongs. This is my way of smudging and I hope that it might give a quick fun insight into a lovely method of cleansing ritual and protection, or at least a starting point to fire your enthusiasm and get you experimenting or searching for more knowledge :)

-----------------------------------------------------

Smudging is a way of using smoke to purify or cleanse or clear spaces. It can be used on crystals or books, runes or tarot cards, people, rooms or houses, anywhere in fact that you can get a bit smoky without causing problems lol.

First you need to get something to burn... there are many ready made smudge sticks that you can buy, the most traditional ones are native american and made of bundles of dried white sage tied together with cotton. Other herbs used are cedar and sweetgrass or lavender and rosemary.  Some people prefer to use a single leaf, others a stem or stick. Whatever you choose is up to you and the job in hand aswell as the time space and of course how much you want to spend. You could grow some Rosemary or Lavender in your garden, of if you try sage make sure its white sage. Blue sage smells like the worst bonfire going lol! Hang the sprigs up to dry thoroughly and then you are ready for the next step.

Or... you can 'smudge' with incense, using the same fragrances will the same intent or use citrus incense for and added freshening and sweeter smell.

I use a shell, this catches the ash for me, but you could use a fireproof foil to cover a dish or a saucer that you don't mind getting dirty.   Then you need a feather, although not everyone uses a feather, you can gently blow the smoke or waft it with your hand if you have no feather. It all depends on the ritual and reason for smudging. Some feathers are sacred and add the essence of their winged owner.

A simple dish covered with foil to catch the ashes, a feather found on a walk in the park and some incense sticks, make up a simple everyday smudging set :)
A ceromonial smudging set, with sacred feathers, mother of pearl shells and Lakota White Sage, for special occasions and rituals.

So now to the actual 'how to' bit. lol.
The idea behind smudging is to send away or banish bad, stale, gloomy or negative energy, and bring in positive new,  bright new happy energy.  
To do this effectively we need an in and an out. Usually in a room we leave the windo open to let the negative energy out, and the door slightly open to let the good new energy in. Obviously we need an air flow so we don't choke on any smole lol.

Carefully light the incense, stick or leaf and then with your feather or hand waft the smoke into every corner under the bed, around the windows all over the walls until everything has had a lovely smudge. You can chant or pray or say a few words that suit you, I will leave those up to you.

Smudging is a lovely way of clearing and cleansing crystals that might otherwise be damaged in light or water, second hand tarot decks or books, anything in fact that needs to stay dry :)

2007 ©www.GemsCrystals.com
Last edited by Gem on Sun Jul 15, 2007 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rozrokz

Post by rozrokz » Fri Jun 08, 2007 6:40 am

Bless you, Gem! Thanks for the very useful info on smudging. Now i am more wiser about the ways. :smt084

Gem

Post by Gem » Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:21 am

You are welcome roz, that is just a very quick overview but it gives you the basics :)

virathree33

Post by virathree33 » Tue Jul 03, 2007 8:28 pm

Oops I accidently posted something here that went into the wrong window. Darn tabs.

Thanks for this post, it's appreciated.

richardredhawk

Smudging

Post by richardredhawk » Fri Aug 24, 2007 12:01 am

Thank you for this posting it is great and liked you presentation on this subject. And for those who want to clear their stones this is one of the best ways to do that without the harmful abrasion of salt especially on the softer stones.
Richard RedHawk

juliburke

Post by juliburke » Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:58 pm

this is great.  this is actually wonderful.  do you mind if i use this in my bos?
Juli

bellatrix

Post by bellatrix » Sun Sep 09, 2007 4:24 pm

being a hindu during prayer times we always used to burn incensce i never understood its importance just thought tht it was for increasing the fragrance of a place understood its real imp aftr reading ur thread so thnks :)

rozrokz

Post by rozrokz » Mon Sep 10, 2007 3:55 am

I suddenly remember when I was a child, my parents use to burn an incense called "kemanyan". I always wondered what that was all about and now I realise it is a kind of smudging and the incense they use is actually frankincense in English.
They will do this ritual every Thursday nights as they believe the spirits are more active on this night.  :smt002 .
But they stopped as we got bigger cause I suppose teenagers are more trouble than those darn spirits could ever be :smt044.
Well, now i will do this ritual every new and full moon and so far it seems to have helped in many positive ways.
Blessed be.

johndoe

smudging

Post by johndoe » Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:40 am

Different herbs have different uses in the Native American understandings. sage White blue or Buffalo or prairy sage are all used to cleanse and get rid of negative influences usually done to cleanse an area before a ceremony. Sweet grass attracts all spirits good or bad. So is never burned on its own. Tobacco is the most sacred and is used to carry prayers not really smudging. Never heard of using rosemary or lavender. I haver seen Lavender used in a sweat lodge put on the stones at the beginning of the ceremony and it smells great but is not really a smdge. Cedar is also used by many tribes and can be used with or instead of the sage. The diffrent types of sage used are based more on preference and availability than any thing else. The Lakota prefer the Bufallo Sage it is an acquired preference I think. I have used all of them.

void

Post by void » Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:33 am

I like white sage ,its real strong.I study shamanism a bit too ,I believe most medicine (herbs) were indigeness to ware they were.

Sage is used for the same thing ,world wide,to sanctify.

KroovyChai

Post by KroovyChai » Wed May 28, 2008 10:11 pm

I do this but have never done it with feathers... Very interesting, thanks xx
I carry him with me and question him often.

BlackDiamond

Post by BlackDiamond » Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:17 am

thanks for the useful info gem... ; )

iriseyes

Post by iriseyes » Sun Jul 06, 2008 3:19 am

Smudging is great for getting rid of unwanted energies in your home.  I smudge every nook and cranny pretty much monthy unless I feel the need to do this sooner.

I have created a home cleaning spell of sorts if you all are interested in this I have listed this below.  You may keep this but I would like my name to be left in it.

Iriseyes House Cleansing

I open all windows to get a fresh breeze in the house then I close all doors and windows except and the end of the house.

I gather:

Sea salt
Water
Incense (Dragon’s Blood, patchouli, Cinnamon)
Sage Stick
White Candles (I prefer to use one per section of house and use the mini tapers for this)

I start on one end of the house with a candle burning in the room I am working on.  I sprinkle the sea salt and water and say.

“All ill will and negativity must go
You do not belong here
Be gone, so mote it be.”

I pick up the sage stick and smudge all corners, closets, shelves, cabinets and say:

You do not belong here
Be gone, so mote it be.”

I take the candle and take threw the room as with the other things above and say:

You do not belong here
Be gone, so mote it be.”

If you notice I say this three times.  I go threw the house every room as I move from room to room I visualize the negativity and junk moving out of each room.  After I make it threw the house I have pushed all bad from inside and push it out the open window.  I then treat the window and shut it locking all negativity outside.  I have been known to do the outside on occasion. (Perimeter of the house).

I leave the candles and incense burn out.  

Monthly I do a smudging until I feel I need to do a bigger job. But I also burn cinnamon at least a couple times a week and to me I feel this helps keep that nastiness out.

Blessed be,
Iriseyes
Blessed be,
Iriseyes
To thine own self be true!!

methos

Post by methos » Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:06 pm

Thanks for the very useful info

Jynxx

Post by Jynxx » Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:47 am

Wonderful post! =D

I had a lovely, perfect 'generic looking' seashell (the type you see as breast covering in standard depictions of mermaids) that was the size of my palm and a half, with this fantastic blue-ish gray coloring. Unfortunately, that disappeared (or found a new home?). Since then, I've used A stone round stone that I found on a river bank, about 2 inches deep, that I chisled a hollow into and smoothed. It's worked wonderfully ever since, and it's an interesting way to throw an element of earth into something that is full of air symbology.

Ah, and the ceremonial kit depicted in you're photograph is fantasic. The peacock feather is beautiful. =)
"Sing me no songs of angels I pray, for a valkyrie found me in abttle that day."

Return to “Occult and Magick”