Puma in animal totem

A forum that offers discussions on esoteric topics like demonology, magick, encounters, witchcraft, and all things spiritual or mystical in nature.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123

sidewalk_bends

Puma in animal totem

Post by sidewalk_bends » Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:24 pm

Anyone have any idea as to the meaning of a Puma in one's animal totem?

Samson

Post by Samson » Tue Sep 25, 2007 1:26 am

No.

Gem

Post by Gem » Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:14 pm

Hi Bends,

Puma.....

Some call puma the mountain lion or female lion, some call them a cougar or mountain panther, it all depends where you are, but they all have the same powers to show us and lessons to teach us. Stealth, the silent effortless movement through the undergrowth, lying silent in a tree,  incredible balance and patience with no movement, stillness of mind and body, and then the pounce and catch and ultimately the kill. They all denote power and a time to learn how to use that power, how to master it and to use it for good for necessity and not to waste effort or resources.

If your totem is puma rather than 'a' special puma as a guide, you are being asked to explore the animals life, how they live, how they breed, the lessons that they need to learn to survive. Young pumas learn by trial and error, they have a go and see what the result is. They try to be assertive and then find out what works and what gets slapped down by the elder pumas.  Then the young puma retreats to heal before trying again and finding out what works, sometimes their antics make them outcasts from the pack and they have to defend themselves continuously trying to find a pack that will accept them and that they understand and can live with. Pumas are loners and many tend to hunt alone and to live alone until the necessity and instinct of breeding drives them to seek company once again.

Do you know which area this totem is for or from?

sidewalk_bends

Post by sidewalk_bends » Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:48 pm

Gem wrote:Hi Bends,

Puma.....

Do you know which area this totem is for or from?
I have no idea. Someone I was speaking with said they saw a puma standing next to someone who was around me, so I thought I would ask.

Gem

Post by Gem » Tue Sep 25, 2007 7:47 pm

So a guides guide? Or a friends guide? not by your side? and which side?

Greyfox

Post by Greyfox » Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:34 pm

Could we get clear on this "totem" thing?  A lot of well-meaning but ignorant white folks seem to have muddied the waters, starting possibly with Jamie Sands .

If you are a Native, and the clan you belong to uses an animal to symbolize that clan, that animal is your totem.  You belong to the Bear Clan, your totem is a bear, and so on.

If you  do not belong to a clan, you CANNOT have an animal totem, strictly speaking.  You may well have a power animal, a spirit guide in animal form , a familiar,  a pet, whatever--anything BUT a totem.

Gem

Post by Gem » Sat Oct 13, 2007 4:58 pm

Greyfox wrote:Could we get clear on this "totem" thing?  A lot of well-meaning but ignorant white folks seem to have muddied the waters, starting possibly with Jamie Sands .

If you are a Native, and the clan you belong to uses an animal to symbolize that clan, that animal is your totem.  You belong to the Bear Clan, your totem is a bear, and so on.

If you  do not belong to a clan, you CANNOT have an animal totem, strictly speaking.  You may well have a power animal, a spirit guide in animal form , a familiar,  a pet, whatever--anything BUT a totem.
I think you will find many 'folk'  white or otherwise, totally disagree with your post.  And the person you may be referring to is Jamie Sams?

There are many clans, tribes and wanderers, and far more DO believe in totems. It's fine if you don't, but please don't try and force your views on others in such a condescending and patronising way please.

Greyfox

Post by Greyfox » Fri Oct 26, 2007 6:27 pm

If a million people are incorrect, do they suddenly become correct?

Here is a short quote from wiki on totems, if you don't want to take my word on it:

Totemism (derived from the root -oode- in the Ojibwe language, which referred to something kinship-related, c.f. odoodem, "his totem") is a religious belief that is frequently associated with shamanistic religions. The totem is usually an animal or other naturalistic figure that spiritually represents a group of related people such as a clan.

Jamie Sands is a popular author who has preoduced books and various divination or guidance cards, using animal imagery, which may have contributed to the misues of the word "totem."  I do not know what tribe she belongs to.

I belong to the Muskogee Nation, and have worked and taught as a shaman for about twenty years--how about you?

sidewalk_bends

Post by sidewalk_bends » Thu Nov 01, 2007 8:06 pm

Titles do not a man make.
I am just like you.

Gem

Post by Gem » Thu Nov 01, 2007 8:17 pm

Greyfox wrote:If a million people are incorrect, do they suddenly become correct?

Here is a short quote from wiki on totems, if you don't want to take my word on it:

Totemism (derived from the root -oode- in the Ojibwe language, which referred to something kinship-related, c.f. odoodem, "his totem") is a religious belief that is frequently associated with shamanistic religions. The totem is usually an animal or other naturalistic figure that spiritually represents a group of related people such as a clan.

Jamie Sands is a popular author who has preoduced books and various divination or guidance cards, using animal imagery, which may have contributed to the misues of the word "totem."  I do not know what tribe she belongs to.

I belong to the Muskogee Nation, and have worked and taught as a shaman for about twenty years--how about you?
I have no idea why you are so hostile to the idea that others may have a different belief or form of knowledge to you. To be quite honest I do wonder who wrote that entry on 'wiki'! After all, anyone can and does get their entries accepted onto wikipedia, it  doesn't however, make them fact.

You also seem to keep bringing up Jamie Sams, who is a Santa Fe-based writer, artist and teacher of Seneca, Cherokee and French descent. She is the granddaughter of Seneca elder and author Twyla Nitsch.

Last edited by Gem on Thu Nov 01, 2007 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gem

Post by Gem » Thu Nov 01, 2007 8:18 pm

sidewalk_bends wrote:Titles do not a man make.
Nope but many think they do.....

Return to “Occult and Magick”