Alastair Crowley

A forum that offers discussions on esoteric topics like demonology, magick, encounters, witchcraft, and all things spiritual or mystical in nature.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123

Omnicron Solaris

Alastair Crowley

Post by Omnicron Solaris » Sat Oct 18, 2008 5:18 am

I'm sure almost all of you out there in this forum are familiar with the man known as Alastair Crowley.
recently I've become interested in his Thoth tarot deck.. but have been warned that it is evil by some people and have been warned that it is full of traps by others.
Most people agree that the deck itself is very very powerful... just like the man that created it.
So I have undertaken a quest to discover for myself if Alastair Crowley was in fact evil.
I've looked on both sides of the equation and have discovered...!!!

Well I think I'm going to keep that to myself.  :)
But first I want to hear your opinion:
Was Alastair Crowley and evil evil man?  :smt018
Or was he just misunderstood by the people of his time? :smt012

:smt017
Attachments
Aleister_Crowley_4.png
Aleister_Crowley_4.png (63.46 KiB) Viewed 9202 times

Crow

Post by Crow » Sat Oct 18, 2008 2:23 pm

:smt005  :smt005  :smt005  :smt005

ROTF-okay, okay...hmmm

After gathering myself, I will make a small note.  Frieda Harris helped.  What you see that is her work.  Yet Aleister Crowley gets much of the credit.  I have always been fasinated with their relationship.  Such an odd pairing of friendship, but it was just that a friendship.  From what I have gathered.  :smt002

Was Mr Crowley worthy to be deemed the wickedest man on earth?  LOL  Perhaps in his mind. I think he was just trying to get people to break out of the mold, to think for themselves.  Loved his sense of humor.  We are all with error, he was but a man.  Learning as we grow.  There were mistakes, the world will never let us forget.

If he was as bad as they claim, one would only need to look at this friendship he had with Mrs. Harris or Ms. Fortune for that matter.  Thinking there was another side which the world really didn't get to see. So blinded by his antics, they didn't see the deeper truth.  I will end there.  For those who wish to see it will see it for what it was.

Safe Journey

Omnicron Solaris

Post by Omnicron Solaris » Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:41 am

Yes me too.  I'm inclined to believe as you do.
Judging from his personal effects his journals and such you can see that he really wasn't all that evil although he likes to think of himself as wicked.
Considering the time that he lived in, I believe that a great number of people would not have understood his sense of humor, let alone his predilection for the occult and the supernatural.

I guess, judging from your response, but I asked a rather difficult question?  Is this true?
I'm just trying to foster some kind of discussion on this board.  Things seem to be a little bit slow and I have 250 posts to get done :(

Crow

Post by Crow » Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:09 pm

Omnicron Solaris,

Is what true?  A difficult question?  What was it that you were trying to ask?  I didn't understand the question completely.

Many are still afraid to say eighter way in fear of being labeled I suppose.  :smt005 Luck would have it I was never into  trivial elementary social standings.  Mr. Crowley helped me to understand alot. Reading some passages of certain texts at those times when I really needed them.  

Key word, he was a man. Spirit in human form.  I learn from his life more than knowledge, there are lessons of what not to do.  

But on a very important note!  Why is it that out of all the pictures must everyone pick this one to show?  Like my parnter mentioned that it was probably a good thing they didn't have the internet or digital recordings back then! One could only imagine the pranks or things he would do.  I just cannot stop laughing at this picture.  And that has brought me so much joy these past couple of days.  Thank you.

Safe Journey

Came back to add that I am baffled by your post quota, is there a reason for this particular number?  If it is for the codes you don't need the codes to have the program work.  Only to save and print I believe.  You sounded disappointed in your post.  What are you looking for?

Omnicron Solaris

Post by Omnicron Solaris » Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:59 am

Yes I agree with you! He was a good lesson on what not to do.  
I strongly believe in magic and have a great deal of knowledge in the cold and occult symbol.  However I do not go around spouting off every time I see a pentacle or an arrangement circles in the pattern of the tree of life.
His life, and people's reaction to his life, and demonstrated to me that there is a time to speak and there is a time to remain silent.
Actually now that you mention it, I think it would be very cool if Alastair Crowley had the Internet.
Can you imagine what his You Tube page would look like?
Whenever anybody says anything about a public figure, I do not accept what they say at face value.  Instead what I do is I go out and try to find the kernel of truth in among what both sides are saying.
In the days of Alister Crowley, this kind of investigation was not possible. Unfortunately, this modern age has allowed us to have access to a tremendous amount of information and we can see clearly the Alister Crowley was just a victim of his own knowledge/intellect/strangeness.

And I was just a little confused why you would answer my post starting with "ROFL".  
I was of the opinion the maybe you thought this was a stupid question.

I do need to have the codes to have the program work. I'm working to get the access codes for the MB taro dictionary. I need 250 posts before I can get access.
I'm trying to do about 10 posts a day so it'll only take me about a month.

Crow

Post by Crow » Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:08 pm

Sorry about ROTF with laughter.  I was laughing at the pic, we all have one don't we?  This one doesn't do him justice.  On the other hand it was probably better than some of the others I have come across!  :smt005

I never ment to make you feel that it was a stupid question.  With your other posts I do read, but I do not feel a connection.  Honestly it is above this mind of mine.  We all have our stages, I am just a youngster.  Most of your questions are more advanced.

Agreed about the youtube part, he probably would've had a blast. If he could ever figure out these pesky machines!  I go there to listen to his poetry.

I chuckled when you said he was a victim of his own knowledge/intellect/strangeness.   In this I agree.  Unfortantly it closed alot of minds, which I think was not what he really wanted to do.  Back then we couldn't see what we can see now.  But even with the advancement we still label and condem without all the facts don't we?  I too try to get both sides so I can understand. Hard to do with all the biased opinions out there, just seeking truth myself.

Had no idea that the MB had a taro dictionary.  I really don't use these programs.  Kick back and relax a bit.  You'll find out that you'll meet that quota a lot sooner than you think.

Safe Journey

Rhutobello

Post by Rhutobello » Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:46 am

Omnicron Solaris wrote: I do need to have the codes to have the program work. I'm working to get the access codes for the MB taro dictionary. I need 250 posts before I can get access.
I'm trying to do about 10 posts a day so it'll only take me about a month.
according to download page that program need 50

http://mysticboard.org/mb ... onary.html

BUT...everything shall work for a trial period before you register.

If you are not able to use the program without a key (for the first 15 days), then you will not be able with a key either....then it is a setting or something on your PC that prevent it to work.

Abraham The Jew

Post by Abraham The Jew » Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:32 am

He was definitely the most influential occultist of the last few hundred years. I enjoy his work.

He was no satanist, but he wasn't perfect. He was just a man.

eye_of_tiger
Site Admin

Post by eye_of_tiger » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:12 am

Welcome to Mystic Board,

Could I please bring to your attention the fact that the postings which you are commenting upon are nearly five years old?

That point having been made I do agree to a certain extent with what you have said about Aleister Crowley being human and very misunderstood, but the label he was given of "The Great Beast 666" was not completely undeserved on his part.

Much of the discrimination practised against him was due to him being bisexual, a recreational drug experimenter and a harsh social critic. In many of these roles, he "was in revolt against the moral and religious values of his time", espousing a form of libertinism based upon the rule of "Do What Thou Wilt".

Because of this, he gained widespread notoriety during his lifetime, and was denounced in the popular press of the day as "the wickedest man in the world".

While that does not automatically make him a Satanist, it did make many of the members of the conventional establishment frightened of him stealing their limelight or rocking their boats, and what people do not understand or fear they often will try to destroy in whatever way is most convenient to them.

The best way at the time to destroy a person's reputation was to project your own sexual hang-ups and religious intolerance and bigotry upon your victim, by painting him or her as an agent of the Devil, or of being Satan himself in disguise.

EoT :smt024

Abraham The Jew

Post by Abraham The Jew » Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:57 pm

Oh. Didn't notice. Thanks for the welcome.

I liked the animal thread and was surprised irt didn't get any responses and I have a bit of an interest in Crowley.

I think he was mainly villified because he was bi sexual. Ppl did not take kindly to that back then at all.

The problem I have with him is that he drove some of his companions/women mad. This may have been avoided if he had practised his spiritual practises a bit more responsibly.

His mother who was a religuous nut gave him the 666 beast title and crowley just ran with it lol. My crazy mother called me the devil in the past so I can relate.  :smt005 666 is actually the number of the sun, so Crowley once said "you can call me lil sunshine! Nothing wrong with being called a beast either, they're the ones living in harmony with nature, not destroying it.

It's funny, it was the christians whofeared and attacked Crowley the most, yet the founders of their faiths actually had their wives killed (constantine, henry the 8th), Crowley driving his women mad looks pretty tame by comparioson lol.

eye_of_tiger
Site Admin

Post by eye_of_tiger » Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:11 am

Not a problem.

This is a common mistake made by many newcomers, as unlike many other forums these are not automatically pruned of older postings on a regular schedule.

Do not give it another thought

You made some excellent points here about the utter hypocrisy of the established Church at the time of persecuting and vilifying a person because they are "different" or because they do not fit in with the moral values of the general population (which could not have been much more different from Crowley's) and were equally questionable for very different reasons.

He had a very strong charismatic effect on his mostly sex starved female followers, so things were already against him long before he started his spiritual practices which had a strong sexual element to them, to be fair to his many critics.

But that is enough about Crowley for now.

I was bought up in a family of atheists and agnostics, but I can only begin to imagine the horror of what it must have felt like to you to first be abused, then thrown out by your own fundamentalist family members. This probably sounds strange to you, but I am at the same time terribly saddened that you had to go through this (and still are), but also I am relieved that you made it here so that I have the opportunity to show you that there are still people who are open minded enough to consider that their way of doing this work is not suitable for everyone.

I must be completely honest with you before I give you a reading in the psychic reading forum, but when I read in your introduction that you were into the occult and ritual magick, my warning alarm bells all started ringing at the same time. This is probably because I have encountered people who said this but abused their mind powers through the use of ritual to manipulate and destroy any person who gets in their way. But in your case the Tarot, numerology and astrology show me that you use ritual magick as only one of several useful tools to help people, and not to harm them at all. This may also be why certain threads are avoided by many of the members and not responded to in a country of such diverse religious beliefs as India.

That is why I said above "to show you that there are still people who are open minded enough to consider that their way of doing this work is not suitable for everyone". For I believe that this is a big part of your purpose for coming here to Mystic Board - to shatter the illusions about and remove the discrimination against the use of the occult and ritual magick in combination with other methods more widely accepted in helping people to understand themselves better and to open their mind's to alternative methods of achieving their own healing and helping goals.  

I hope to more fully explore my initial encouraging impressions about you through a reading, but wanted you to know before I read for you where I am coming from on the issue of ritual magic or the occult in general. To help create and strengthen the psychic connection required for the reading to work, by you knowing more about the fallible human being who is giving the reading. That only seems fair. IMO

CU there,

eye_of_tiger (EoT for short)  Image

Return to “Occult and Magick”