Does rahu and ketu really exist ?

For vedic astrology discussions and general questions.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123, RishiRahul

Rohiniranjan

Post by Rohiniranjan » Sun Jul 01, 2007 3:13 am

My two cents if I may?

Rahu and ketu should not be considered as planets, since they have been designated in JYOTISHa as chaaya grihas. Grahas or grihas, UNLIKE planets (with bodies) who have been named grahas AND have often been misrepresented by some jyotish scholars hailing from the west as entities that seize or grasp or capture! WRONGLY!! There is no grasping and grabbing described in JYOTISH, I am happy to report!!

For me, Graha or Griha have always meant something very different!

These terms for me meant HOME or at least house! Graha/Griha/Gruha no matter how one spells it, even in India, means at least to me RECEIVING and not 'Seizing or even grasping'! Main aapki shubhkaamnayen grahan kartaa hoon. Hasta grahan during a marriage ceremony -- hardly the seizing regardless of what may follow! etc etc.

I know it is hard to visualize an eclipse as anything but aggressive seizing, sadly in tune with the general mindset that seems to globally prevail these days :-(

but perhaps IT is time when we began seeing negative situations as something that we have chosen to and can receive and not things simply inflicted on us, for no fault of ours ;-)

Once this helpless "victim mentality" is out of our system, we -- through our free-will -- can CREATE room for GRACE to be received (since SHE cannot be SEIZED, only received)!

Rohiniranjan

[quote="cesarampe"]In Hindu astrology Rahu and Ketu are known as two invisible planets. They are enemies of the Sun and the Moon, who at certain times of the year (during conjunction or opposition) swallow the Sun or the Moon causing either a solar or a lunar eclipse. In Sanskrit this is known as grahanam or seizing.[/quote]

krpawar

Post by krpawar » Tue Jul 10, 2007 6:19 am

No

Rohiniranjan

Post by Rohiniranjan » Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:26 pm

Does the number 5 exist?
Do your dreams exist?
Where do "you" exist? I do not mean the body that will die, or the mind that wanders all over the place? Where does the 'whatever' that you call "I" exist?

Once you find the answer to that, right next to it you will find the answer to if Rahu and ketu exist :-)

RR

[quote="krpawar"]No[/quote]

pantulu

Rahu and Kethu

Post by pantulu » Sun Aug 05, 2007 3:31 pm

Rahu and Kethu are described as shadow planets supposed to give results as per the the Lord of the House in which they are at the time of birth. We have verified that they do so. Whether Western Astrologers agree or not, this is a fact. We wonder how great sages like Parasara visualised these effects. We have to remember that when they wrote all the great books on Astrology not even a telescope was available. Whatever they wrote about applies even today. If at all there is a problem it is because of the insufficient knowledge on the part of the concerned person.

pantulu

Rahu and Kethu

Post by pantulu » Sun Aug 05, 2007 3:35 pm

Rahu and Kethu are described as shadow planets supposed to give results as per the the Lord of the House in which they are at the time of birth. We have verified that they do so. Whether Western Astrologers agree or not, this is a fact. We wonder how great sages like Parasara visualised these effects. We have to remember that when they wrote all the great books on Astrology not even a telescope was available. Whatever they wrote about applies even today. If at all there is a problem it is because of the insufficient knowledge on the part of the concerned person.

pantulu

Rahu and Kethu

Post by pantulu » Sun Aug 05, 2007 3:38 pm

Rohiniranjan

Re: Rahu and Kethu

Post by Rohiniranjan » Sun Aug 05, 2007 5:03 pm

[quote="pantulu"]Rahu and Kethu are described as shadow planets supposed to give results as per the the Lord of the House in which they are at the time of birth. We have verified that they do so. Whether Western Astrologers agree or not, this is a fact. We wonder how great sages like Parasara visualised these effects. We have to remember that when they wrote all the great books on Astrology not even a telescope was available. Whatever they wrote about applies even today. If at all there is a problem it is because of the insufficient knowledge on the part of the concerned person.[/quote]

Your posting implies that western astrologers do not utilize rahu and ketu. This is far from correct as they do and call them rightly: North and South Node of the moon.

That aside, did you realize that Varahamihira in his Brihat jataka text on natal astrology does not mention the nodes at all. And yet, he has described and utilized those for mundane horoscopy (Brihat Samhita), so it was not that he was not aware of rahu and ketu. Isnt that interesting?

RR

Rohiniranjan

Post by Rohiniranjan » Sun Aug 05, 2007 5:10 pm

[quote="pantulu"]Rahu and Kethu are described as shadow planets supposed to give results as per the the Lord of the House in which they are at the time of birth. We have verified that they do so. Whether Western Astrologers agree or not, this is a fact. We wonder how great sages like Parasara visualised these effects. We have to remember that when they wrote all the great books on Astrology not even a telescope was available. Whatever they wrote about applies even today. If at all there is a problem it is because of the insufficient knowledge on the part of the concerned person.[/quote]

Also, I would request you to try the method given by Parashara (Jaimini) when describing dual lordship of scorpio and aquarius (hence the dictum: kujavata ketu, sanivad rahu). After that fails and rahu and ketu do not get a lordship, then they begin to mimick the sign dispositor! Or more appropriately, take over the lordship from the rightful owner!

And in vimshottary they would give the effect of their nakshatra dispositor as is true for all planets as per principles followed in stellar astrology.

pantulu

Rahu and Kethu

Post by pantulu » Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:30 am

Yes. They definitely give the effects of Nakshatra depositors also. I was only referring to some people who have doubts that since they do not exist in physical sense there cannot be any effects. Our sages had Divya drishti and hence they could visualize. I am a postgraduate in Mechanical Engineering and I can say our scientists know very little about the mysteries of Universe.

Rohiniranjan

Post by Rohiniranjan » Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:57 pm

[quote="pantulu"]Yes. They definitely give the effects of Nakshatra depositors also. I was only referring to some people who have doubts that since they do not exist in physical sense there cannot be any effects. Our sages had Divya drishti and hence they could visualize. I am a postgraduate in Mechanical Engineering and I can say our scientists know very little about the mysteries of Universe.[/quote]

Dear Sri Pantulu,

Good to interact with an individual of your educational prowess in the applied science of Mechanical Engineering. Yes I have seen wise and humble scientists and I have seen arrogant scientists. Some of the latter are more (in my view) following the script and acting the part or doing the role if you know what I mean!

I have also known scientists who believe in, understand and utilize astrology for good reasons. I would therefore be reluctant to lump all scientists or even a majority of them into the same pot, just as I would not raise all jyotishis and astrologers on some deified pedestal which is only reserved for the pure and angelic.

If all of us, each individual did not have the good and bad simultaneously, gravity would cease to act upon us and we would be able to rise and fly. Since we do not and each morning have to wear one shoe at a time -- let us accept the good and bad in each of us and not try to over- or under-rate anything, certainly not in a broad-brush swipe. I am sure a scientist of your caliber would see that what I state is the scientific way! [[Above all, observe! Let your eye lead the mind and not the other way around, even though it has also been said: What the mind does not know, the eyes do not see! Just providing you with both sides of the coin!]]

RR

pantulu

Do Rahu and Kethu really exist ?

Post by pantulu » Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:29 am

Dear Sri RR,
I am glad that you are contributing a lot in this discussion. I fully agree that all the scientists, astrologers or any other professionals including doctors,lawyers can be put under one category. I am only referring to those people who think that something which does not exist physically can have influence on human beings or any other beings.It is purely decided by the planets ruling at the particular time. As you are fully aware Rahu and Kethu wield considerable influence which helps or ruins.I only wish that people of your calibre convey this message to all interested. I know that some cannot be convinced because of their bias.
Pantulu

RishiRahul
Astrology Reader

Post by RishiRahul » Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:04 pm

Rahu and Ketu is of such importance that even these nodes seem to empower their depositors with some special power to perfom with a karmic strength in a persons life. People undergo spiritual changes during the vimsottari dasas of these depositors..................is my belief.

Any takers?

RishiRahul

Return to “Vedic Astrology”