On Combustion - Free for ALL to Answer...!!!

For vedic astrology discussions and general questions.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123, RishiRahul

I_seek_the _truth

On Combustion - Free for ALL to Answer...!!!

Post by I_seek_the _truth » Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:17 am

Here we go again...!

"They" say Venus is combust only when RETROGRADE.

"They" say Saturn is exempt from Combustion as Ashtangatha value correction is not made for saturn in some calculations.

"They" say Mercury is usually not bad even if combust as he Always is found close to the Sun.

"They" say Jupiter's combustion is not as bad as the combustion of other planets, since he is Deva Guru, and the sun doesn't harm him.

Now I read that Mars, since he is a fiery planet too, is not considered weak when Combust.

"Some" say Combustion of a planet implies the Sun takes over for that planet. 'Others' say a combust planet is weak and will not be able to give its results at all.

The classics give one the degrees of combustion, but are silent as always on how we mortals ought to interpret it.

Could "ANYONE" expostulate the EXACT EFFECTS of COMBUSTION of Different planets...?

Or point me to a source of wisdom on Combustion...?

I know that in the end it will be anybody's guess, but maybe someone in the past in all these years of Jyotish's existence made a study on Combustion and come to some conclusion...?

shrikant9

Re: On Combustion - Free for ALL to Answer...!!!

Post by shrikant9 » Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:25 pm

I_seek_the _truth wrote:Here we go again...!

"They" say Venus is combust only when RETROGRADE.

"They" say Saturn is exempt from Combustion as Ashtangatha value correction is not made for saturn in some calculations.

"They" say Mercury is usually not bad even if combust as he Always is found close to the Sun.

"They" say Jupiter's combustion is not as bad as the combustion of other planets, since he is Deva Guru, and the sun doesn't harm him.

Now I read that Mars, since he is a fiery planet too, is not considered weak when Combust.

"Some" say Combustion of a planet implies the Sun takes over for that planet. 'Others' say a combust planet is weak and will not be able to give its results at all.

The classics give one the degrees of combustion, but are silent as always on how we mortals ought to interpret it.

Could "ANYONE" expostulate the EXACT EFFECTS of COMBUSTION of Different planets...?

Or point me to a source of wisdom on Combustion...?

I know that in the end it will be anybody's guess, but maybe someone in the past in all these years of Jyotish's existence made a study on Combustion and come to some conclusion...?

Hello,
You can get all information on Combustion,in September 1978 issue of THE ASTROLOGICAL MAGAZINE edited by B.V.RAMAN, published from Banglore.I had noted down few articles from this issue in the year 1988,from a local library.In this issue many eminent astrologers(Shri P.S.Shastri,P.Damodaran Nair and ohers)have contributed research articles on Combustion. Some rules on combustion are mentioned in Phaladeepika by Mantreswar.

rajitha

Post by rajitha » Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:06 pm

Srikanthji,
   It is very difficult to get hold of such old issues, especially for people who don't live in India.
Can you please put some of the rules if you don't mind.

Appreciate it . Thanks.

I_seek_the _truth

Post by I_seek_the _truth » Wed Dec 19, 2007 2:51 am

yeah, me too...!

Srikanthji,

Kindly try and reproduce that article's summary contents, if you can.

Rohiniranjan

Re: On Combustion - Free for ALL to Answer...!!!

Post by Rohiniranjan » Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:22 am

[quote="shrikant9"]Hello,
You can get all information on Combustion,in September 1978 issue of THE ASTROLOGICAL MAGAZINE edited by B.V.RAMAN, published from Banglore.I had noted down few articles from this issue in the year 1988,from a local library.In this issue many eminent astrologers(Shri P.S.Shastri,P.Damodaran Nair and ohers)have contributed research articles on Combustion. Some rules on combustion are mentioned in Phaladeepika by Mantreswar.[/quote]

"Here we go again" was indeed an auspicious, albeit repetitive start to this thread on combustion, from the forum armchair "sceptic!"

Cutting to the chase: If combustion (astangata dosha) is such a make or break factor, surely someone must be able to produce a chart which provides the Proof of Concept, as the current IT lingo goes!

I have written about this combustion issue many times and challenged many here and elsewhere but each time I came home thirsty!

Maybe this time someone will be able to convince me that all it takes is combustion to do a planet in! Even venus and mercury!

I think combustion is a "LIGHTS" thing!

But bring on the definitive proof and we shall discuss this further as opposed to whatever else generally goes on in Jyotish forums!

shrikant9

ON Combustion

Post by shrikant9 » Tue Jan 01, 2008 1:11 pm

First of all a very Happy and Prosperous New Year 2008 to all readers. I was out of Raipur for field work, so I couldn’t reply early. For the benefit of readers I am reproducing the extract of said articles in short.
1. Combustion (Also called modhya, asthangatha or vikala), occurs when mars, mercury, Jupiter, Venus and Saturn are in proximity with the sun.
2. Combustion takes place when the planets are in the same Rashi as the sun or in the adjacent Rasis.When combustion occurs in latter position, yoga or dasa effects will not be much affected. This is the view adopted in Ayrdaya Ganita.
3. The following are the degrees on either side of the sun within which the different planets become combust, Moon-120, Mars-170, Mercury-110, Jupiter- 150, Venus- 90 ,and Saturn 170.
4. Moon-Combust moon impairs the health of native, excites the humours in the body, and causes pain in head and weak eyesight too much affliction to the moon in any horoscope, denoted balarishta (Infant morality).
5. Mars-Mars gets combust in the sun when he is within 170 from the sun (In retrogression 8 degree).According to Brihat Jataka when mars conjoin sun in combuston, the native will be fond of sinful deeds. This combination gives rise to heart disease and at the same time gives the native power of resistance and endurance.
6. Mercury- Mercury is a fast planet and does not suffer from combustion. But combust mercury is also evil in giving results. Suppose the lagna is Capricorn (19 deg) and mercury (20 deg) is in 4th house with sun (8deg).Here mercury being lord of 6th is combust and hence malefic. It may cause heart trouble to native and also paralysis, since mercury indicates nerves. Generally combust mercury deprives the native to take full advantage of what other planets give, this may cause impediments in speech, difficulty in learning, losses in speculation and trade. If mercury is in own, friendly or in exaltation, he does good even if he is combust. However a combination of sun and mercury is bad when they are malefic by ownership and have evil association or aspect. In such case the native will be fickle minded, unhealthy, illiterate and poor.
7. Jupiter: - Combust Jupiter indicates ill health, indigestion, intestinal and liver troubles etc.
8. Venus: - Venus is an enemy of sun and usually the association makes Venus weak. The native may be diabetic, impotent, averse to women, or sensual and immoral, unhappy married life.
9. Saturn: - Strong Saturn in combustion may make positively evil. Saturn when evil(weak, afflicted) causes unhappiness in life, set backs in profession misunderstanding with father and superiors,scandals,ill fame etc.Combust Saturn is a potent factor to mar a yoga. Suppose Saturn is in Aries along with sun. Here Saturn is debilitated and sun is exalted. The debilitation in the case of one is removed by exaltation of other not by cancellation, but by setting right the defect. But this is possible only if Saturn does not become combust in the sun.
I am reproducing few rules on combustion which I had noted from *your technical difficulties solved* feature, published in old issues of THE ASTROLOGIAL MAGZINE:-

1. When a planet is combust but occupies own or exaltation house, the planet will not continue to be malefic.
2. When a planet is combust but is retrograde- No difference.
3. When a planet is combust but the lord of the sign in which combustion occurs is himself combust, the situation will be worse.
4. When a planet is combust but is aspected by the lord of the sign occupied by it, then there will be 50%improvement
5. When a planet is combust but it is maraka or badhaka for lagna, then the situation will be worse for it.
6. When a planet is combust but is a yogakaraka, then pity will be the greats.
7. Combustion effects will be mitigated by the aspect of a functional benefic or the strength of lord of the combust planet.
8. A planet though posited in debilitation, inimical house, or is combust, when occupies an auspicious house or amsa, would yield mixed results in Dasa and pretty good ones in latter of Dasa. (Phaladeepika)
9. If sun is debilitated and if any planet is combust with it (Libra or adjacent sign), then combustion effect will not operate due to Sun’s debilitation.

shubh

Post by shubh » Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:51 am

Thank you for your enlightening views on combustion.

After reading the excerpt, I have a semi-general and semi-personal query for the learned astrologers if you could kindly spare some time. In my chart, Mars in combust but placed in own sign and in a different house than Sun. It is forming Ruchak Yoga. However, uptil now I really don't see any major positive effect in my life. In fact my professional life is quite messed up despite excessive / more than required effort. (DoB-18 May 1981; Time: 11:05 am; Place: Patna, Bihar)

Hence, I am forced to question both theories in my case (combust plant in own sign removes evil effect; combust planet placed in another sign than sun minimizes effect of combustion)

I have posed this question in other forums also. One of the astrologers told me that the Ruchak Yoga comes into force only in the 28th year of the native that is why results are delayed for me.

Please let me know your views on this. Is there something malfic which I am overlooking in my chart. I am wearing a 3 ratti red coral in silver.

rajitha

Post by rajitha » Wed Jan 02, 2008 7:34 pm

Shrikanthji,
  Thank you very much for giving us the information.
Very useful info and some of the things match to what I have seen in my chart and some other relatives' charts.

Ofcourse, there are some questions but I am sure will be difficult to answer without looking at some charts.

Happy New Year to you too.

rajitha

Post by rajitha » Wed Jan 02, 2008 7:37 pm

Shubh,
  Some piece of info - In astrology, timing is everything. There is a particular time when each event occurs - triggered usually by dasa or maturity of the planet signifying an event.

shubh

Post by shubh » Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:58 am

Thanks Rajitha....I'm assuming you are talking about the transits and graha bala. In the chart in question (DoB-18 May 1981; Time: 11:05 am; Place: Patna, Bihar), Mars' graha bala is "vriddh" or old.

Does the graha bala affect the combution of a planet in any way? eg. Combustion situation is worsened if the planet is "vriddh"/ old or "Mrit"/ dead.

rajitha

Post by rajitha » Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:14 pm

Shubh,
  I am talking about maturity which is different from old, young ,etc.
That would be the avastha of the planet.

Maturity is different. All planets have  an age when they mature.
For instance, Mercury matures at age 32. That means you can expect maximum benefit out of the planet at that age.
Ofcourse, the dasha also has to support the same.

The avastha also matters. If a planet is too old in your natal chart, it will not be strong enough to give results effectively.

Regarding combustion, there are no set clear rules but many eminent astrologers like BV Raman have given some theories from their experience which Shrikanthji put forward. So, like RRji mentioned, don't attribute everything to one factor like combustion.

Look at the different significations - from Asc, moon, dasha, transits, strength and come to any conclusion.

hedonist

Combustion

Post by hedonist » Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:07 pm

When the sun is a functional benefic as he is for Leo or Sagittarius lagnas for eg. unless he is in the same nakshatra pada or degree as the combust planet, rather than give malefic results, he would impart a benefic influence.

hedonist

It is wrong to state that planets at start/end of sign are weak...

Post by hedonist » Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:13 pm

It is wrong to state that planets at start/end of sign are weak....if that were the case how can one consider Jupiter at his strongest in 3 deg Cancer or Mercury at the fag end of Virgo...similarly many planets give own house effects at the start or end of a sign when they are vargottama, which is considered a strong position. My study of charts in the start/end of signs have revealed tht they give the same results as a planet situated at 15 degrees or about the center of a sign, all other things being equal.

Rohiniranjan

Re: Combustion

Post by Rohiniranjan » Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:44 pm

[quote="hedonist"]When the sun is a functional benefic as he is for Leo or Sagittarius lagnas for eg. unless he is in the same nakshatra pada or degree as the combust planet, rather than give malefic results, he would impart a benefic influence.[/quote]

Hello Hedonist,

Thanks for your posting and I agree with your message except for the portion where you indicated that if planet is in same pada EVEN with a benefic surya, it would suffer an affliction (due to combustion I suppose). ONLY if you are comfortable in doing so, if you could share with me privately or publicly an example of such being the case (planet combust and in close conjunction with benefic sun becoming afflicted), I would appreciate very much. Thank you,

bheja_fry

Re: Combustion

Post by bheja_fry » Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:21 am

[quote="rohiniranjan"][quote="hedonist"]When the sun is a functional benefic as he is for Leo or Sagittarius lagnas for eg. unless he is in the same nakshatra pada or degree as the combust planet, rather than give malefic results, he would impart a benefic influence.[/quote]

Hello Hedonist,

Thanks for your posting and I agree with your message except for the portion where you indicated that if planet is in same pada EVEN with a benefic surya, it would suffer an affliction (due to combustion I suppose). ONLY if you are comfortable in doing so, if you could share with me privately or publicly an example of such being the case (planet combust and in close conjunction with benefic sun becoming afflicted), I would appreciate very much. Thank you,[/quote]

Sun may be a functional benefic for some lagnas, but is a natural malefic or atleast a kroora graha  - and any planet in close conjunction with it would be said to be afflicted - or atleast facing the wrath - isnt it?

Return to “Vedic Astrology”