query about hindu new year

For vedic astrology discussions and general questions.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123, RishiRahul

priyankaatomar

query about hindu new year

Post by priyankaatomar » Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:49 pm

when every months starts in krishna paksh then why hindu new year starts in Shukla Paksh.

astrochap

Post by astrochap » Fri Jun 13, 2008 7:36 pm

Hello Priyanka:

Different regions in India celebrate New Year on a different day. I am not sure which region's new year you are refering to in the context of your question. I am not aware of all the New Year days celebrated in different parts of India, but as far as Telugu calendar is concerned, the first day of a month falls on the first day of Shukla Paksh (bright half or waxing moon). The first day of Shukla Paksh is when the moon starts to grow and becomes a Full Moon after a fortnight. Then the Krishna Paksh (dark half or waning moon) starts when the moon eventually vanishes  after a fortnight resulting in a New Moon. In Andhra we celebrate new year on the first day of month Chaitra.

I am of the understanding that all the different calendars used in different regions follow the same concept of using the first day of Shukla Paksh as start of new month. I might be wrong. Let us see what others have to say.

Best Wishes,
Sagar

priyankaatomar

Post by priyankaatomar » Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:56 am

Hi Sagar,

Thanks for replying, Actually i was reading a book on Bhrahu Sahinta by Pt Rajiv Dikshit. I am totally beginner to the subject. Pt Rajiv Dikhit has mentioned this. HEre is the link:
http://www.vedamu.org/Vedas/Jyotisa/Vedanga.asp
http://www.vedamu.org/Vedas/Jyotisa/Bru ... Darpan.asp

I was going thru first book, page heading is Tithi & Miti

pls have a look and revert.

Thanks Priyanka

Raman Deep Singh

Post by Raman Deep Singh » Sun Jun 15, 2008 10:09 am

Hi Priyanka,
Why dont your start reading from much more easier written books like "Learn Astrology easily by KN Rao",
Or "Learn Astrology by Surya narayan Rao" or the one by BV Raman for learning astrology...

They have explained astrology much more easily and have written mainly for the purpose of Beginners.

Raman

Raman Deep Singh

Post by Raman Deep Singh » Sun Jun 15, 2008 10:10 am

I have heard that  the one by Bipin Behari for beginners is also good .

Hope this will help.Just one more information that in North India also the month starts from Shukla Paksh.

Raman

priyankaatomar

Thnx

Post by priyankaatomar » Sun Jun 15, 2008 10:25 am

Thnx Raman for recommending the books

Raman Deep Singh

Post by Raman Deep Singh » Sun Jun 15, 2008 11:05 am

Its my pleasure and i wish they will help you.

Regards,
Raman

astrochap

Post by astrochap » Sun Jun 15, 2008 7:01 pm

Priyanka, even I am a beginner. That is why I know limited stuff related to Telugu calendar. Thanks for the links - looks like the site is a repository of vedic books. I tried to open the first book you mentioned. After the cover page opened, I tried to navigate to next page but the site keeps popping up "page not found" page.

-Sagar

priyankaatomar

try again

Post by priyankaatomar » Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:43 am

HI Sagar,

You have to clk on next button only then it works.U r right it has lots of books on vedic astrology.
Try again

astrochap

Post by astrochap » Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:07 pm

Priyanka - that is what I did and even now I am having the same issue. When I click the "Next" button I am getting a "Page Cannot Be Found" page.

-Sagar

priyankaatomar

try this one

Post by priyankaatomar » Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:11 pm

Hi Sagar

Try this one http://www.vedamu.org/Vedas/Jyotisa/Vedanga.asp

now go to Bhrugu Samhita ( eBook ), first page of books appears and now try next button.

Here on my comp its working fine

astrochap

Post by astrochap » Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:40 pm

Hi Priyanka, it turned out to be a browser issue. I normally use Firefox and "next" button isn't working in Firefox. It is working fine in Internet Explorer. I will read the "Tithi and Mithi" chapter some time this week.

-Sagar

priyankaatomar

hi

Post by priyankaatomar » Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:31 am

ok Sagar,

astrochap

Post by astrochap » Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:56 pm

Hello Priyanka:

My apologies for not keeping my word. Finally I got around and read the "Tithi and Mithi" chapter. On first glance I thought that the chapter was a few pages and I thought I needed to spend a lot of time to read it (as I am not proficient in reading Hindi) and it turned out to be only half a page.

Coming to the point, the chapter refers to "Vikram Calendar" and "Naveen Calendar". In both the calendars the book refers to Chaitra month, first tithi of shukla paksh as New Year. However, the reference to "pratyek" maas is confusing. I tried to google the "Naveen Calendar" (unless the author is refering to modern day calendar) but could not find any references on the web. I will let you know if I discover anything further on this matter.

-Sagar

Return to “Vedic Astrology”