Planets, Houses and Combinations responsible for Drinking and Smoking habits

For vedic astrology discussions and general questions.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123, RishiRahul

JaiNahata

Planets, Houses and Combinations responsible for Drinking and Smoking habits

Post by JaiNahata » Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:02 am

Hello everyone,

I would like to have your advice on the above mentioned problem.
My own experience and understanding tell me these things :

DRINKING
Alcohol / Spirit = Mars
Drinking / Eating = 2nd house
Affliction of Mars by either Rahu or Saturn.
So if an afflicted Mars is associated with 2nd house it will lead to this problem. Magnitude will depend upon the strength and other factors.

SMOKING

Smoke / Poisonous gases = Rahu
Sucking (smoke or gas)    = 2nd house
Affliction by Saturn.
So if an afflicted Rahu is associated with 2nd house it will lead to this problem. Magnitude will again depend upon the strength and other factors.

Kindly share your experiences and/or views on this topic.

Thank you,

Best regards

Jai Nahata

ESP

Post by ESP » Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:18 am

hello,

second house has nothing to do with it. 2nd house is related to food one gets.

12th house is the house of Bad Habits apart from other things it represents.
Its lord, nature of lord, placement , aspects on it and the strength play the pole in addictions etc..

try to apply to a chart you know and analyse. i have seen it works well

JaiNahata

Post by JaiNahata » Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:54 am

Thanks for your reply Sir...........

But I would beg to differ.
Second house denotes what we eat or drink or like to. It is the mouth and in natural zodiac ruled by Venus. To drink we need mouth and hence 2nd house seems justified.

Regarding 12th house it is more associated with renunciation or end of something. Moreover ruled by Jupiter and hence got less to do with bad habits.

Bad habits as such will be seen by 8th house which is Scorpio and ruled by Mars and denotes hidden clandestine activities. Moreover it also deals with addictions.
Why I preferred 2nd house was due to the fact that it will denote what we like to eat or drink.

Kindly correct me with reasons wherever I am wrong. I will remain thankful.

Thank you..........

Best regards

Jai Nahata

ESP

Post by ESP » Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:24 am

hello,

i too am a student.

we may be learning from different sources and opinions may differ..

when you are talking about natural significators of houses i am not thinking of natural zodiac but of natural significators of 1st house, 2nd house in a horoscope.
8th house significator is Saturn,9th house is jupiter etc.
If you want to know about addictions in general and not only smoking and drinking, there are many organs involved.
for people who take drugs, they take them in through nose, hands(veins) etc

also i feel drinking, smoking is not a clandestine activity as it is not always hidden and its not illegal as in most of clandestine things.
so i feel 12th house should be seen

12th house in a horoscope represents the following matters
"Losses, expenditure, punishment, imprisonment, hospitalization, pleasures in bed, misfortune,
BAD HABITS, sleep, meditation, donation, secret enemies, heaven, left eye, feet,
residence away from place of birth, , moksha(liberation)"
as per  PVR NArasimha Raos' Book

JaiNahata

Post by JaiNahata » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:06 pm

Hi ESP,

Great detailed reply.

First , yes you are right about significations of 12th house, but I was putting a general theory. There are many places and circumstances in which smoking and drinking might not be considered a BAD HABIT then how do we analyse ? 2nd house is GENERAL logical conclusion. Suppose somebody likes drinking but due to social stigma or other reasons cant continue it then it does not become a bad habit but he had tasted it and probably liked it.
Here I am giving a chart in this concern and would like your opinion on it.

Q : Does this person drinks or smokes or ever did ?

Details :

Body                Longitude        Nakshatra Pada Rasi Navamsa

Lagna                   6 Vi 35' 25.88"      UPha      3    Vi   Aq
Sun - PiK              11 Cp 12' 26.19"   Srav      1    Cp   Ar
Moon - AmK          24 Sg 16' 15.99"   PSha      4    Sg   Sc
Mars - BK              22 Vi 48' 22.42"   Hast      4      Vi   Cn
Mercury (R) - AK    26 Cp 28' 04.77"  Dhan      1    Cp   Le
Jupiter - MK           16 Li 39' 31.71"    Swat      3     Li   Aq
Venus (R) - PK       7 Cp 29' 44.07"    USha      4    Cp   Pi
Saturn - DK           0 Li 02' 31.14"      Chit      3      Li   Li
Rahu - GK             29 Ge 49' 36.62"   Puna      3    Ge   Ge
Ketu                     29 Sg 49' 36.62"   USha      1    Sg   Sg
Maandi                  28 Vi 11' 52.33"   Chit      2       Vi   Vi
Gulika                   17 Vi 04' 24.54"   Hast      3      Vi   Ge
Bhava Lagna         22 Le 35' 54.38"   PPha      3     Le   Li
Hora Lagna           4 Ar 37' 01.49"     Aswi      2     Ar   Ta
Ghati Lagna         10 Aq 40' 22.82"    Sata      2     Aq   Cp
Vighati Lagna       10 Ta 57' 09.47"    Rohi      1     Ta   Ar

Sorry dont have exact details but the chart. It is an interesting chart especially navamsha.
I analysed it from both 2nd and 12th houses and reached to a conclusion which I will discuss once you have analysed it and reached to your opinion. In brief my opinion is NO.

It is one of the most important charts which I have ever analysed in many aspects and hope that it will arouse your curiosity as much mine. Lets discuss soon.

Best regards

Jai Nahata

ESP

Post by ESP » Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:50 am

hi

my opinion is 12th lord Sun is week in an enemy sign and in moon's nakshatra. also conjoining enemy venus
not aspected by any planet
lagna lord mercury who is a yogakaraka is conjoining Sun

my opinion is the person is not influenced by or prone to heavy afflictions of alcohol etc

ESP

Post by ESP » Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:48 am

also depends upon the Shadbala and Astakavarga strength of Sun

JaiNahata

Post by JaiNahata » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:55 am

Hi ESP,
My analysis is following (same which I gave to this native):

2nd lord is Venus who is with Sun and is combust. Sun does not give such habits. This Venus is further aspected by 3/4th aspect by exalted Saturn and benefic Jupiter and hence further no chances. This whole combination will make this person fond of good food but will have to most times content with cold or not-so-fresh food.

2nd house disposits exalted Saturn and benefic Jupiter and aspected by Rahu. Such powerful Saturn -Jupiter combination makes yoga for ascetics and hence see no such actitvity. Aspect of Rahu on Saturn can give very slight, or only tasted, smoking. Notably, in bhava chalit Mars shifts to this house and Jupiter to next. This can indicate one time or just tasted alcohol thing. Moreover this Mars is in bhava-sandhi and hence very weak to give any strong result.

2nd house significator Venus is already analysed.

In navamsha all these planets and house has got far stronger and better and should not give any such proneness or addictiveness.

Kindly correct me wherever wrong................

Best regards

Jai Nahata

ESP

Post by ESP » Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:19 am

hi

Saturn is not aspecting venus. saturn is aspecting moon and ketu in saggitarius by 3rd aspect. aspect on moon can give mental troubles and on ketu will give renunciation and spirituality
Jupiters aspect is 5th on aquarius and not 4th.
Rahu's aspect on saturn(5th lord of mantras) may turn the native's interest into occult things in spiritual path.

JaiNahata

Post by JaiNahata » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:49 am

ESP wrote:hi

Saturn is not aspecting venus. saturn is aspecting moon and ketu in saggitarius by 3rd aspect. aspect on moon can give mental troubles and on ketu will give renunciation and spirituality
Jupiters aspect is 5th on aquarius and not 4th.
Rahu's aspect on saturn(5th lord of mantras) may turn the native's interest into occult things in spiritual path.
Hi ESP,

Saturn and Jupiter are aspecting by 4th aspect which has 3/4th strength i.e, 75% of normal aspect strength.

Best regards

Jai Nahata

Raman Deep Singh

Post by Raman Deep Singh » Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:09 pm

Hi Jai Nahata ji,
Let me try to reply to this.I wont be explicit as needs time to write :)

Yes, i will quite a bit agree drinking etc will come looked from 2nd house.
Our derivation shud have 2nd house as a strong point of consideration.
Other consideration may jump in to proove its further confirmation but
2nd house shud be conssidered.

But now question arrives that wat u wanna to understand ..there cn be ppl who
do very occasional drinking / smoking so m nt sure cn be found out from chart easily.
Though addicts cn be found out, may be teetotaler can also be found.. but
i doubt about occassional ones..

Regards,
Raman

JaiNahata

Post by JaiNahata » Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:02 am

Hello Raman ji,
Thanks for your reply.

Sir, I always believe that a chart has all the answers no matter how small it is.
In case in hand I will request you to go through Rasi chart and Bhava chart and find the minute difference between two and you will be amazed by accuracy of Vedic Astrology, only we don't know how to use the tools we have. Something which I want to bring forward.

Just my 2 cents Sir.............

Best regards

Jai Nahata

Raman Deep Singh

Post by Raman Deep Singh » Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:52 pm

Hi JaiNahata ji,

True jai ji.. Everything can be found from chart and i surely believe in it and  thats y i said ...
there cn be ppl who
do very occasional drinking / smoking so m nt sure cn be found out from chart easily.
And m getting amazed at this for long now.. :)

But question is how and moreover we can easily end up JUST explaining things instead applying them  simply coz there r so many rules and principles in astrology that we can start from D-1  then to bhaav chalit then to vargas, starting from D-1 to D-60 and m sure we would be able to satisfctorily get answer using them .... But point is how to aply it.

Also my question is what are u actually looking for addiction or just consumption even occassional......coz both will be different..

Again be it watever ..answer will move around few pointers..like 2nd house ,rahu, saturn may be, D-6 and so on.. but D-6 is more of a health trouble so addiction will be more suitable to look from here.
Hope i was helpful

Regards,
Raman

JaiNahata wrote:Hello Raman ji,
Thanks for your reply.

Sir, I always believe that a chart has all the answers no matter how small it is.
In case in hand I will request you to go through Rasi chart and Bhava chart and find the minute difference between two and you will be amazed by accuracy of Vedic Astrology, only we don't know how to use the tools we have. Something which I want to bring forward.

Just my 2 cents Sir.............

Best regards

Jai Nahata

JaiNahata

Post by JaiNahata » Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:02 am

Dear Raman ji,

You are absolutely right that there are so many principles and rules that anybody can get confused and make mistakes but then that's with every major scientific field. We know which ingredients to choose to make tea out of thousands ;-) I am out to find correct ingredients for every recipe of life and astrological analysis.

Regarding question in hand, yes, significators will be 2nd house, 2nd lord, Venus (natural ruler and significator), afflicted Mars(my experince says Saturn's affliction is needed here). We can also study Moon cause it shows mind and tiltilation and behaviour pattern. If Moon is under heavy benefic influence of Jupiter then all these afflictions will get nullified and will result in something else.

D-6 should be considered but next to Rasi/Bhava chart as primary indications has to be there. 2nd house in D-6 and D-9 should be taken into account.

Raman ji, occassional, moderate, heavy or addiction are nothing but various degrees of afflictions of the same factor/s.

I request you to give detailed opinion on the chart which I have posted.

Kindly correct me with reasons, if wrong anywhere.

Thanks.......

Best regards

Jai Nahata

Return to “Vedic Astrology”